Best powder for 243? 80-90gr pills

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Best powder for 243? 80-90gr pills

Post by Ken » 13 Jul 2013, 4:41 pm

Hi guys,

Looking for some info on reloading for 243 with ADI reloading powders.

Looking to work up a small game load with 80gr pills? 90gr pills?

2206, 2206H, 2208, 2209, 2213SC, 2217?

I get the basics of case density, but not really appreciating the difference?
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Best powder for 243? 80-90gr pills

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jul 2013, 3:58 pm

Hi Ken,

2209 is very popular for the .243 in the heavier pills.

2208 gets good results for people too... but I'd say you wouldn't want to go with any faster burning powder than this until your a little more experience in reloading.

As you mentioned, a big part of it is about case density. As an example, using an 90gr projectile and the ADI rifle load data you have some of the following starting load options when reloading:

AR2208 - 34.0gr powder
AR2209 - 42.0gr powder
AR2213SC - 45.0gr powder

In this case, when using the 2213sc with 45gr of powder, the case would be quite full. It wouldn't be a compressed load but with the pill seated the powder would be held in place without any shake room.

When using the 2208 powder with only 34gr though there would be a lot of room inside the case. After seating the pill if you held the cartridge to your ear and shook it you'd be able to hear the powder bouncing around like a little maraca.

This powder movement is undesirable for a few reasons...

One is that because the powder can slosh around and be in different positions when firing, you get slightly different powder curves when the powder ignites. The ignition of powder which is sloshed up the back will be different the the front, and different to if its lying flat evenly in the case and so on, and these differences can effect your accuracy.

The second and more pressing issue is a safety one. When a cartridge is full, you get an even burn of powder from the back of the case to the front of the case, all happening while the bullet is moving down the barrel.

When the case has lots of room, it's possible for the ignition to flash forward inside the case, creating more of a simultaneous detonation than a controlled burn. This can result in higher peak pressures inside the cartridge even though there is less powder, and if you're unlucky cause a failure.

This failure could vary from something as minor as a split casing, to something as serious an exploding action depending on the particulars - obviously not something you want to be on the receiving end of.

As a general rule of thumb, a 'lightly compressed' load is usually ideal.

I'd say just start with some 2209 as that will likely work well. For your own education purposes fill a few cases with different loads using the min and max load data to see how much powder actually goes in and you'll see the difference. Once you appreciate the difference do a little more research and experimentation as appropriate (and safe).
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by chacka » 14 Jul 2013, 7:36 pm

Yeah start with some 2209, there's no shortage of people getting good accuracy results with it in their 243's.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

ADI powders

Post by Aster » 09 Aug 2013, 9:07 am

chacka wrote:Yeah start with some 2209, there's no shortage of people getting good accuracy results with it in their 243's.

People getting good results with 2208 and other powders too though.

No need to limit yourself to 2209 only.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Bennybigbores » 10 Sep 2014, 9:25 pm

Ar2209 done the job for me, running 75gr Speer hollow points, 44 gr of Ar2209 best accuracy I ve achieved yet but always looking for more options and other loads to trial
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 10 Sep 2014, 10:48 pm

Give AR2208 a go with 80gr or even 85gr at a push but really 85gr and above you will find AR2209 works best. Depends on your own rifle as 80gr really is in the middle of two powders that I have experimented with and opted for the slower powder being more consistant.

My best accuracy with 85gr was achieved with Winchester 760 if you want to play with Ball Powder.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: ADI powders

Post by Warrigul » 11 Sep 2014, 3:37 pm

Aster wrote:
chacka wrote:Yeah start with some 2209, there's no shortage of people getting good accuracy results with it in their 243's.

People getting good results with 2208 and other powders too though.

No need to limit yourself to 2209 only.

I am a huge 2208/2209 fan and most of my loads are for these two powders, but in the interests of not becoming stagnant I had a play last week with 8208, I have just developed a new load for some cheap 80(5 cents each) grain highland projectiles as I am about to start culling with the .243.

Got it way under 1/2" at 100 then zeroed at 200 and 300 ready for use as it was a perfect zeroing day. This led me to try for group on the 500m target. the center was kept for me and all five were in a 2" group, extremely good even though it is only a standard Tikka hunting rifle and the rounds are secondhand winchester cases with minimal prep(many will be lost so who wants to go overboard) and not seated in relation to the lands but to the cannelure groove and crimped.

I only shot the one group at 500 in favour of saving barrel time so it isn't definitive but only an indication.

8208 definately has potential, but I am probably more surprised at how these cheap projectiles went, but then 500m isn't a proper test of long distance capability.

Edit: corrected projectile weight and I have to stop calling it AR8208.
Last edited by Warrigul on 11 Sep 2014, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Ken » 11 Sep 2014, 3:55 pm

You're right Apollo. 2209 turned out to be best.

I've got an 80gr and 95gr load worked up and they're both crackers.
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ken » 11 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm

Warrigul wrote:AR8208 definately has potential

Not getting quite as good as the groups you got with 8208 but I'm getting the job done with the 2209 and that'll do me :)

I've had my fill of load development for now. If I get the bug again I'll try some 8208.
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 11 Sep 2014, 5:32 pm

Ken wrote:
Warrigul wrote:AR8208 definately has potential

Not getting quite as good as the groups you got with 8208 but I'm getting the job done with the 2209 and that'll do me :)

I've had my fill of load development for now. If I get the bug again I'll try some 8208.

I am a big fan of 2209 in the .243 normally, I just had a different projectile to try and thought I had better try something different.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 11 Sep 2014, 5:42 pm

Listen to "Warrigul"...he is a true Legend....

2" groups with a .243W at 500m then he deserves to be remembered as the best of the best.....!!!!!

And s**t cheap bullets, I don't know why he doesn't enter the Olympics....

FM.....!!!!! Someone has their hand on the wrong trigger here.....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 11 Sep 2014, 6:27 pm

It was only one string of five, trust me after a group like that anyone would be foolish to not rest on their laurels. I didn't expect it and it really is a bit out there(lucky, some would say? And could I disagree with them?) but I will still take it. It shot tight groups at two and three hundred and as everyone was still at 500 and my rest and setup was still sitting there from shooting I thought why not?

This particular Tikka has always been a very accurate rifle with whatever is thrown down it. I am not a benchrest shooter but I do regularly shoot at paper at distance and generally make it on target.

Do your best, its not like I was shooting in a paddock somewhere, it was a properly marked target
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 11 Sep 2014, 11:04 pm

Yeah, okay mate....

I'll leave it at that and perhaps one of these days I'll take up NRAA shooting if I get boored..... 500m is probably too close.

You should join the national benchrest crew and show them where they are going wrong....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Sep 2014, 9:54 am

Apollo wrote:Yeah, okay mate....

I'll leave it at that and perhaps one of these days I'll take up NRAA shooting if I get boored..... 500m is probably too close.

You should join the national benchrest crew and show them where they are going wrong....

I am not finicky enough to shoot benchrest and I don't have the patience, time or the money to do the discipline justice - taking so much of the human factor out of it also lessens the appeal, I am out to enjoy myself not compete.

When I shoot fly it is only with existing F Standard gear,I have a fondness for the longer distances and have been practicing on my elbows again and will probably go more down that path again.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by lole » 12 Sep 2014, 10:21 am

Warrigul wrote:taking so much of the human factor out of it also lessens the appeal

Yeah... Gotta say I've always thought it terribly boring when guys have the heavy rifles in adjustable rests and all the do is turn windage and elevation cogs without ever touching the rifle. Then just tap the trigger with a finger on the resting gun.

Turns it into operating machinery, not doing any shooting yourself.

IMO.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Sep 2014, 10:50 am

lole wrote:
Warrigul wrote:taking so much of the human factor out of it also lessens the appeal

Yeah... Gotta say I've always thought it terribly boring when guys have the heavy rifles in adjustable rests and all the do is turn windage and elevation cogs without ever touching the rifle. Then just tap the trigger with a finger on the resting gun.

Turns it into operating machinery, not doing any shooting yourself.

IMO.

Yep, you know I still get a huge amount of pleasure out of shooting simple old rimfire field rifle. I may never progress past silver but enjoy it as much as shooting at 1000 with a rest.

It may be eccentric but I have even hung up the joystick rest for long distance and now use a simple bipod and rely on wind skill to keep me looking acceptable, unless I strike a good day for load testing, then the rests come out.

Sometimes sport becomes an arms race and when money overtakes skill as the deciding factor then I think the reasons for competing need to be examined. Anyone can paint by numbers and occaisonally I look down the line and think to myself(but never say anything) that if it weren't for technology there would be some ****** shots about.

But I am so far off topic, apologies.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by lole » 12 Sep 2014, 1:58 pm

Actually, even worse... You've seen the experimental railgun shoots?

With the action mounted on this mega heavy sliding returning rail setup to absorb the recoil and keep the rifle on target. Once they're sighted in they don't even look through the scope FFS.

They just feed ammo into it and fire and look at their group after. Talk about boring...
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Sep 2014, 6:01 pm

lole wrote:Actually, even worse... You've seen the experimental railgun shoots?

With the action mounted on this mega heavy sliding returning rail setup to absorb the recoil and keep the rifle on target. Once they're sighted in they don't even look through the scope FFS.

They just feed ammo into it and fire and look at their group after. Talk about boring...

I went as far as my medal in BR30 then gave it away as been there done that and sick of spending exorbitant sums on .22 ammo, I think I would die of frustration with a Mega rail setup. However I would like to make one for the satisfaction of doing so, someone else can shoot it.

Most of the bench rest blokes can't shoot to save themselves without all the equipment.

Have you ever noticed how few F class (especially F Open) people actually compete? When you run stats and factor in wind the curve is so far from where it should be compared to a elbow shooter.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by lole » 14 Sep 2014, 4:58 pm

Warrigul wrote:Have you ever noticed how few F class (especially F Open) people actually compete? When you run stats and factor in wind the curve is so far from where it should be compared to a elbow shooter.

Haven't done any numbers but yeah, I have noticed.

Way more rifles on casual benches than shooters in competitions.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 14 Sep 2014, 7:23 pm

lole wrote:
Warrigul wrote:Have you ever noticed how few F class (especially F Open) people actually compete? When you run stats and factor in wind the curve is so far from where it should be compared to a elbow shooter.

Haven't done any numbers but yeah, I have noticed.

Way more rifles on casual benches than shooters in competitions.

Yep, they are there to compete against themselves and I guess if that floats their boat then all is well for instance:

Today I Started at 8.30 shot constantly and didn't even get lunch as I had to RO as well as shoot but I still managed to:

Shoot 500 (plus and few odd packets of 50 it may have been three of four) rounds of cheap .22LR standard

About 65 rounds of expensive .22LR

100 rounds of .303 FMJ

20 rounds of .303 cast

5 .303 blank rounds launching cheap rubber cricket balls 50 meters down range (the most fun you can have without being arrested- and doesn't it draw crowds!)

35 rounds of .310 cadet

50 rounds of 8 x 57

20 rounds of .223(Sighting in)

48 rounds of .357Mag

I competed three times, won a medal, plinked a lot and had a lot of fun, it was a hectic rip tearing day but none of it even close to precision shooting.

One bloke who was at the same range ripped his way through........................................... less than 50 rounds of .22lr all day watching flags and shooting at his own speed- who had more fun? Who can say? He was extremely pleased with how he went so that is what counts, he probably enjoyed himself just as much as I did.

Edit: This is so far off topic that it isn't funny, if the mods wish they should feel free to remove this post.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Ken » 15 Sep 2014, 11:36 am

I'm happy with it being in my topic.

It's all a good read :)
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kyle2632 » 11 Jan 2015, 2:23 pm

Warrigul,

Can I ask where you got the cheap 243 projectiles from. I've searched but cant find them anywhere.

Cheers
Kyle2632
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Kater » 12 Jan 2015, 10:07 am

5c per projectile has to be a bargain bin special somewhere, not a regular buy.
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 12 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm

Apollo wrote:Listen to "Warrigul"...he is a true Legend....

2" groups with a .243W at 500m then he deserves to be remembered as the best of the best.....!!!!!

And s**t cheap bullets, I don't know why he doesn't enter the Olympics....

FM.....!!!!! Someone has their hand on the wrong trigger here.....

Oh well Apollo you won't like this then

aaa15.JPG
aaa15.JPG (76.49 KiB) Viewed 9805 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 13 Jan 2015, 10:09 am

Kyle2632 wrote:Warrigul,

Can I ask where you got the cheap 243 projectiles from. I've searched but cant find them anywhere.

Cheers

They were Highland projectiles in the bulk 200 pack, on chuckout and lumped in with a new scope, haven't seen them since.

Fine for fallow and mucking around with, they have proved to be more than acceptable. Wish I had bought thousands.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 13 Jan 2015, 10:10 am

deye243 wrote:
Oh well Apollo you won't like this then

Apollo has personality issues.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by BBJ » 14 Jan 2015, 7:41 am

deye243 wrote:
aaa15.JPG

Nice shooting, Tex
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Express404 » 14 Mar 2023, 12:44 pm

Back on to topic.. Any more good 243 loads.. I'm after mild velocity and mild report.?
Our kids hunt and fish.
Express404
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 14 Mar 2023, 12:54 pm

Express404 wrote:Back on to topic.. Any more good 243 loads.. I'm after mild velocity and mild report.?

For what purpose?
The 58gn VMax at 2000fps makes a very nice practice and plinking round that will also happily drop small game.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 14 Mar 2023, 1:48 pm

You want a mild report you definitely got the wrong chambering there is no such thing as a mould report in a 243 at anything that's realistic for bullet performance .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition