Making new stuff

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Making new stuff

Post by Noisydad » 24 May 2015, 3:47 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (723.95 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (846.39 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
I've been out in the shed making stuff again and here it is.... Most of you who use Lee Autoprimes and like will know how annoying it is when you encounter a slightly tighter primer pocket that leaves the primer sitting a little proud and the case gets stuck in the priming tool. So I made this primer seating tool to screw into any standard press. It consists of a flat topped anvil that is in place of the shell holder and a stem holder that screws into the body of the tool. This allows more force to be applied to seating the. primer than you can get from an Autoprime.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: Making new stuff

Post by KWhorenet » 24 May 2015, 4:42 pm

Good work :thumbsup:

When you run out of things to do there, I have a list that could keep you sane and busy

Have you built an annealing rig yet?

That's my next motorised electrickery gadget I'm ordering and scrounging bits for
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Bourt » 25 May 2015, 2:03 pm

Nice as always Noisy.

How easy/hard are you finding it to centre the primers on the press each time?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 25 May 2015, 3:34 pm

Easy. I just hold the case on the primer and raise it till the stem enters the case. On tweak on the handle and the primer is in. Probably not really any slower than the Autoprime taking into account time used in sticking cases with primers not seated well enough. Stems could be made to suit any case.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2015, 3:45 pm

I've never had any issues with using the Lee Auto Prime Hand tool (Round tray versions), I really like it strangely enough so much so I bought a few as back ups when and if the original dies :lol:

I gave up trying to seat primers on the press years ago because of similar issues to you ND and it was so slow, so much quicker and easier with the Hand Tool version and you can sit in front of the TV and do em too. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 26 May 2015, 7:35 am

Speed of reloading cartridges is not usually an issue to me because I think of it as"Therapy" Lol. Mostly I'm happy with the Autoprime and it does work most of the time. I think the real issue here is that I just felt like a quick project on my lathe for a break from my big shed project atm, a portable bandsaw type sawmill for cutting bar tops, bench tops, garden slabs, furniture timber and such.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 26 May 2015, 9:16 am

Sounds like you have some nice gear there ND, I find reloading a bit of a chore to be honest, though I just turn the radio on and knock out 100 at a time which lasts me for a year or so (depends what I'm doing of course but if its hunting only that should do for quite a while, if shooting gongs etc well I will need to reload sooner than later).

Nice skills to have by the way, I wouldn't mind being able to do those sorts of things either. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 26 May 2015, 11:34 am

hey ND,

Have you ever converted a Full Length sizing die to be just a body sizing die ?
Would you recommend using a milling machine to open up the neck area, or remove the neck of the die completely like a normal body die?

Saving would be ~ $30 US + some postage x 7 calibres so it would be a decent saving.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Noisydad » 26 May 2015, 1:16 pm

Haven't done a job like that but I reckon you just get the neck bored out a normal lathe and boring bar would do it. You local engineering joint could do it.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Kater » 26 May 2015, 3:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I find reloading a bit of a chore to be honest

Ditto.
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm