6.5x55 swede

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

6.5x55 swede

Post by Westy » 23 Oct 2013, 7:14 pm

Picked up a 6.5 swede in Tikka recently and decided it was time to start reloading it,I'm using 120Gr sierra's and i'm not sure ofthe over all length of the bullet??? My Leman loading book reckons it should be 80.00mm\3.150" Reminton factorys are 73.56mm\2.896" and the highlands are 75.60mm\2.976" anyone who reloads this Cal please help me out on this one???

Cheers westy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: 6.5x55 swede

Post by Carter » 23 Oct 2013, 7:53 pm

3.150" max COAL from my book also.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Vati » 23 Oct 2013, 7:57 pm

"Maximum COAL" according to cartridge specifications and what will actually fit in a rifle are often two different things.

There are plenty of magazines which won't fit a bullet seated for max COAL, Tikka (and Sako) included in this.

Factory ammo's made to sell. They won't sell much if people can't load it.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 23 Oct 2013, 8:21 pm

You're right, the max COAL for 6.5x55 swede is 3.150. That' is maximum length though, not mandatory length.

As explained above though, in some cases a magazine may not be long enough to fit a cartridge which is at max COAL, even if this would otherwise be ideal for the rifle. This is why manufacturers make shorter rounds.

For your reloading, first thing I'd say to do is load up a dummy cartridge with a bullet only (no powder/primer) as your test one.

Seat the bullet for a COAL of 3.150" as above and see if it will fix in your magazine at all and how easily it chambers.

That will give you a starting point for determining the best cartridge length for your rifle specifically.

If it fits in the magazine fine but is too long to chamber easily, then you can start working it back to fine the seating depth which is just off your lands.

Obviously if it won't even fit in the magazine 3.150" then you'll have to work it down to fit in before anything else. It may be that your magazine determines your max COAL, not your actual rifle.

Hope that helps.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 23 Oct 2013, 9:43 pm

Thanks for that guys will do, and will let you know how it turns out in the next few days!!!Once again thanks
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Herdsman » 24 Oct 2013, 6:25 am

Westy wrote:Thanks for that guys will do, and will let you know how it turns out in the next few days!

Let us know how you go ;)
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition