Head stamps ID

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Head stamps ID

Post by headspace » 03 Jun 2015, 7:50 pm

P1010212.JPG
P1010212.JPG (58.42 KiB) Viewed 3956 times
A mate gave me a load of 270 brass today at the range and there are 3 different headstamps I can't identify. Anyone have an idea?
JD :unknown:
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Head stamps ID

Post by Chronos » 03 Jun 2015, 8:04 pm

FC is federal cartridge company i believe and i've seen the NNY a lot but no idea who makes it

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 03 Jun 2015, 8:09 pm

The K 8 .270 is South African I believe. Quite and old case.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 03 Jun 2015, 8:22 pm

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... xBmDgsYSCw

Yugoslavian i think,hope the link works :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by headspace » 03 Jun 2015, 8:25 pm

Thanks fellas, NE I think you're right about the K8. The majority are the Federal stamp and the ones marked NNE are in the minority. I'm thinking I'll break down the unfired stuff because they are hand loads.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by North East » 03 Jun 2015, 8:39 pm

The only reason I recall that is I used to own a .270 and got some hand loaded ammo off a mate who used the same cartridges. Pretty sure he said they were South African.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 03 Jun 2015, 9:34 pm

FC = Federal as already stated
K 8 = Possibly Kynoch U.K as they used a K & Number for many of their cases.
NNY = rvi Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice , Yugoslavia. These are actually Cyrillic letters equal to "PPU in the Western alphabet.

Reference http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page=headstampcodes#K
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 03 Jun 2015, 10:17 pm

brett1868 wrote:FC = Federal as already stated
NNY = rvi Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice , Yugoslavia. These are actually Cyrillic letters equal to "PPU in the Western alphabet.

Thanks Brett, I had an idea they were Cyrillic, but not sure where from. Privi Partisan makes decent enough brass. As to the K8 I have an idea it's South African.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 03 Jun 2015, 10:39 pm

headspace wrote:
brett1868 wrote:FC = Federal as already stated

Thanks Brett, I had an idea they were Cyrillic, but not sure where from. Privi Partisan makes decent enough brass. As to the K8 I have an idea it's South African.
JD

If made by Kynoch in the U.K then quite possibly it found it's way in South Africa in quantity but I'll dig through some old books to get confirmation. I love threads like this, stirs up the curiosity and I learn something so thankyou for the question :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 06 Jun 2015, 8:09 pm

No worries mate, by the way I weighed some brass, Winchester is about 186-7 grains, The K8 is around 193gn. That's a fair difference.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bunnybuster » 08 Jun 2015, 12:21 am

headspace wrote:No worries mate, by the way I weighed some brass, Winchester is about 186-7 grains, The K8 is around 193gn. That's a fair difference.
JD

The most accurate cartridge comparison is achieved by sizing and trimming the brass then weighing it,then calculate as a %,you will find them

very close.The brass on the right has a good pressure sign on the primer,the Fed is TOO hot,extruding the stainless primer into the firing pin

hole.If you intend to use these,load a couple of each identically and fire for a comparison,if all show common pressure signs they could all be

combined as a common batch.

Be Safe BB
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by headspace » 08 Jun 2015, 8:07 pm

I got them mostly as empty cases, but there were about 50 loaded ones, all mixed up with different primers and bullets and cases. I got out the hammer bullet puller and belted the c--p out of everything and sorted and full length sized the cases. One thing I noticed, the cases marked K8 were very tight in the shell holder. One round I pulled apart had the powder sticking together. No way I was going to fire them.
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 09 Jun 2015, 2:42 pm

brett1868 wrote:NNY = rvi Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice , Yugoslavia. These are actually Cyrillic letters equal to "PPU in the Western alphabet.

Inside info, Brett?

Your misses is from that part of the world isn't she?
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by headspace » 14 Jun 2015, 5:06 pm

Here's a little extra for you Brett. I weighed all the different head stamps I've got, and it turns out with all the stuff I got from my mate there's now 7 different ones. So I selected at random 5 cases from each stamp and weighed them and then averaged the weight.
Winchester averaged 187.76gns, Norma averaged 178.7gns, PMC averaged 192.16gns, Remington averaged 196.3gns, Privi Partisan averaged 188.4gns, The K8 (South African) averaged 194.38gns and the Federal averaged 201.62gns. Also while I was fooling around there, I had a closer look at the flash holes on the K8 stuff and they were slightly smaller than everything else so I drilled them all out.
John
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 14 Jun 2015, 6:31 pm

inventurkey wrote:
brett1868 wrote:NNY = rvi Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice , Yugoslavia. These are actually Cyrillic letters equal to "PPU in the Western alphabet.

Inside info, Brett?

Your misses is from that part of the world isn't she?

Yep, Ukrainian to be precise and having worked there and been married to her for 12 years I have a very basic understanding of Cyrillic. Essentially it's all the characters you'll never use on a calculator :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 14 Jun 2015, 6:35 pm

headspace wrote:Here's a little extra for you Brett. I weighed all the different head stamps I've got, and it turns out with all the stuff I got from my mate there's now 7 different ones. So I selected at random 5 cases from each stamp and weighed them and then averaged the weight.
Winchester averaged 187.76gns, Norma averaged 178.7gns, PMC averaged 192.16gns, Remington averaged 196.3gns, Privi Partisan averaged 188.4gns, The K8 (South African) averaged 194.38gns and the Federal averaged 201.62gns. Also while I was fooling around there, I had a closer look at the flash holes on the K8 stuff and they were slightly smaller than everything else so I drilled them all out.
John

I've forwarded this latest info and pic to a relative who's been collecting cartridge's for close on 40 years so I'll chase him up in a few days and see if he's learnt anything. I'm still thinking that K8 head stamp is from Kynoch in England but need to find out if any South African manufacturer made cases under license from Kynoch.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 14 Jun 2015, 9:49 pm

Thanks mate, I'll look forward to seeing what he has to say. It does underline the importance of sorting your brass properly though.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Usurper » 15 Jun 2015, 10:30 am

brett1868 wrote:Essentially it's all the characters you'll never use on a calculator :)

So everything except the + - and = ? :lol:
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition