Difference between 2 die and 3 die reloading sets?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Difference between 2 die and 3 die reloading sets?

Post by botfour » 25 Oct 2013, 10:57 am

Hi all,

Doing my research on a reloading kit now, what's the difference between 3 reloading die and 2 die sets?

One for case sizing, second for bullet seating, third for... ?

BF.
botfour
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Difference between 2 die and 3 die reloading sets?

Post by grainweight » 25 Oct 2013, 11:44 am

A 2 die set is your basic starter set for reloading.

A resizing die and seating die - the two essentials you can't do without.

The third (or fourth or fifth or...) die will be for something else depending on what type of cartridge you're loading.
grainweight
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Boatman » 25 Oct 2013, 11:56 am

There are neck sizing dies, full length resizing dies, trim dies... and seating, expander, crimping, case forming and more from some brands.

Everyone needs a resizing die and seating die which is why 2-die set is common.

If you're shooting something a bit less conventional you may need 3 or more to prepare your cartridges.
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harts » 25 Oct 2013, 1:32 pm

Between straight cases or necked ones, crimped or none-crimped ones and different resizing options there are plenty of different die set combos.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by botfour » 05 Jan 2014, 5:45 pm

Thanks guys, I understand.

A two-die set will do me from the sounds of it.

I had to put this on the back burner for a few months but I'm focussed on reloading again now. Should get my reloading gear in the next couple of weeks if all goes to plan :)
botfour
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tinked » 05 Jan 2014, 6:25 pm

botfour wrote:A two-die set will do me from the sounds of it.

It will.

A seating die and full length sizing die will do everything you need for standard centrefire.

Redding, Lee, RCBS, and plenty of others make good dies that will do the job for you.
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by headspace » 08 Jan 2014, 8:53 pm

IF the round is fired in a bolt action rifle, full length resizing should not be needed, just using a neck sizer while de-priming should be Ok shouldn't it? The exception being lever action rifles or those with rear locking lugs. As I've only ever reloaded for bolt action, and only used brass fired in my rifle, full length sizing has not been needed. Of course if you use brass fired in another rifle then full length resizing and trimming would be a good idea.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 09 Jan 2014, 8:10 am

headspace wrote:IF the round is fired in a bolt action rifle, full length resizing should not be needed, just using a neck sizer while de-priming should be Ok shouldn't it?

For the most part yes.

I have used a few rifles which fed new brass well, but got a bit stiffer with formed brass. Still worked fine, but not quite a smooth as new or full sized brass. Just had that extra thou' width in the chamber I guess.

Whether or not that bothers anyone? Meh.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 09 Jan 2014, 10:59 am

headspace wrote:IF the round is fired in a bolt action rifle, full length resizing should not be needed, just using a neck sizer while de-priming should be Ok shouldn't it? The exception being lever action rifles or those with rear locking lugs. As I've only ever reloaded for bolt action, and only used brass fired in my rifle, full length sizing has not been needed. Of course if you use brass fired in another rifle then full length resizing and trimming would be a good idea.
JD

Not entirely true as repeated firings of neck sized brass will leave the cases too long to be chambered and cases will require full length sizing.

If you only want two dies you would be better server with a f/l sizing die and a seating die. You can partially side cases by setting your f/l die higher so that it only bumps the shoulder if the case back. But a neck die cannot be used to set back the shoulder nor can it reduce the diameter of the base if the case.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 09 Jan 2014, 12:06 pm

Once the case is fireformed to the individual chamber, trimming the case length should be sufficient if it measures longer than the factory specs. In years past I have reloaded 270win, K Hornet, 257 Ackley Improved, 22/250 plus others and never full length resized ever. However I did check case length. I hope this isn't hijacking the thread.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by botfour » 09 Jan 2014, 12:30 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Not hijacking anything headspace. The more info the better :)
botfour
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 09 Jan 2014, 12:30 pm

headspace wrote:Once the case is fireformed to the individual chamber, trimming the case length should be sufficient if it measures longer than the factory specs. In years past I have reloaded 270win, K Hornet, 257 Ackley Improved, 22/250 plus others and never full length resized ever. However I did check case length. I hope this isn't hijacking the thread.
JD

Interesting experience. I've had .223 and .308 cases that require the use of a body die of full length sizing after just 4-6 firings when using neck dies of lee collet dies. Having a live round stick in the chamber is something that can ruin your trip to the range or to a hunting property pretty quick.

Now I just bump shoulders back 1-2 thou using a f/l die and never use the neck die.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by cruze82 » 09 Jan 2014, 2:08 pm

Just to throw another spanner in the works, I use a universal de capping die to punch out primers before I sonic clean.

It could be my OCD taking affect but I don't like running a dirty case into my neck sizing die.

It adds an extra step to reloading but more time in the shed means less time inside with the wife, ha ha!
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Monty » 09 Jan 2014, 2:40 pm

cruze82 wrote:It could be my OCD taking affect but I don't like running a dirty case into my neck sizing die.

You'll get a bit of dirty lube gradually build up at the bottom of the press as the frame skips it off the rod on the way down, but it just wipes away.

I won't cause any drama for your reloading, just for your OCD :P
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by bones-350 » 31 Mar 2019, 8:26 pm

When I started reloading I read so often Lee Dies are not that good. So I went for forster dies on my 223, 22.250, and 30.06. I got a 243w rifle and went for Lee Premium Die set. To be honest I found the Lee Dies much better. I went out and got Lee Dies for the 223 and 30.06. And guess which Dies are used the most now? Lee Dies 99% of the time produce my ammo spot on my ogive measurements. Forster Dies are not as consistent as Lee Dies those are my findings.
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 01 Apr 2019, 5:32 am

Dejavu I feel I have double vision.

Heaps of people live the Lee collet neck sizing die
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition