adi brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

adi brass

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jul 2015, 10:28 pm

I'm thinking about buying some .223 brass that's being advertised as ".223 osa stamped adi brass "

What are people's experience with this stuff , good , bad or indifferent ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: adi brass

Post by Chronos » 03 Jul 2015, 10:37 pm

I bought 200 .223 ADI brass from magnum sports on special.

Pretty happy with it. Quality seems ok, as a test I didn't f/l size before loading, because I bet they don't. No problems. Its been a while since I've played with .223 brass but nothing about it worries me.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jul 2015, 10:52 pm

Chronos wrote:I bought 200 .223 ADI brass from magnum sports on special.

Pretty happy with it. Quality seems ok, as a test I didn't f/l size before loading, because I bet they don't. No problems. Its been a while since I've played with .223 brass but nothing about it worries me.

Chronos

Cheers Chronos, can you recall if the primer pockets were tight or loose?
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 04 Jul 2015, 2:12 am

I don't know what "OSA" is supposed to mean for a start.

Primer pockets tight or loose...Hmm, are we talking about brand new cases...???

Primer pockets in any new cases can be either way depending on the breed of primers you use as Small Rifle Primers are not all the same dimentions. Federal are in general the softest material, 205M are .1744" in diameter but their 200's are .1757" in diameter. CCI BR4's are about the hardest and .1755" in diameter.

A bigger point is that ADI Cases are "Military Grade" and like other military spec cases are thicker than domestic grade. That means they have less internal capacity so be careful about the amount of powder you load them with and start even lower than you would normally. They should last a long time if you look after them and are my pick just short of Lapua for quality but a lot cheaper.

I have some "once fired" ADI Cases that I bought a long time ago and now fired many times, I lost count.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 04 Jul 2015, 4:12 am

OSA outdoor sporting agency
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 04 Jul 2015, 8:31 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
Chronos wrote:I bought 200 .223 ADI brass from magnum sports on special.

Chronos

Cheers Chronos, can you recall if the primer pockets were tight or loose?

Yeah mate, primer pockets seemed a little tight using CCI BR4's and a 21st century stainless priming tool but the other things I seat them into the most is 6BR with multiple firings so it might be a bad comparison.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 04 Jul 2015, 9:06 am

Okay, Outdoor Sporting Agencies is just one of the new distributors of ADI products as is NIOA so when this kicks in fully we should see a better supply of ADI Powder as it's no longer just Winchester Dealers getting supplies and a lot of country gun shops are now a lot happier.

If you are using heavy bullets, like 70gr or more in a fast twist barrel and a powder like AR2208 one might run into a problem with powder loads at the high end due to the lack of internal case capacity ending up with very compressed loads. One solution is to use a "drop tube" but that doesn't work all the time. For light bullets like 55-60gr you should be fine.

CCI 450 Primers are .1750" in diameter and would probably solve the tight primer story. CCI 450's even though marked as "Magnum" are used quite often as a replacement. CCI BR4's are reported to be the "select match version" of the 450's often swapped with each other when fine tuning a load to see which group better and both have the same cup thickness of .025" for use in "high pressure" cartridges.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Jul 2015, 8:38 pm

Apollo wrote:Okay, Outdoor Sporting Agencies is just one of the new distributors of ADI products as is NIOA so when this kicks in fully we should see a better supply of ADI Powder as it's no longer just Winchester Dealers getting supplies and a lot of country gun shops are now a lot happier.

If you are using heavy bullets, like 70gr or more in a fast twist barrel and a powder like AR2208 one might run into a problem with powder loads at the high end due to the lack of internal case capacity ending up with very compressed loads. One solution is to use a "drop tube" but that doesn't work all the time. For light bullets like 55-60gr you should be fine.

CCI 450 Primers are .1750" in diameter and would probably solve the tight primer story. CCI 450's even though marked as "Magnum" are used quite often as a replacement. CCI BR4's are reported to be the "select match version" of the 450's often swapped with each other when fine tuning a load to see which group better and both have the same cup thickness of .025" for use in "high pressure" cartridges.

I'm waiting on my Remington VLS .223 It has a 12" twist and I'm planning to run projectiles around the 55 grain mark so the case capacity issue you mentioned earlier might not be a problem ... but I will keep what you said in mind when working up my load.

the main reason I asked about the pockets was that I read a related article about adi brass where the author had mentioned that he found the primers seated very easily, he also made note of the flash holes being undersized to the point where they were .001" smaller than his depriming pin if I remember correctly.

All things considered it sounds like good brass going by what you lads are saying.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 04 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm

I haven't inspected any new ADI Cases to see if ADI punch their flash holes or they are drilled like Lapua but if you like as part of your case prep you could use a "flash hole deburring tool" which will ream the holes to the correct diameter if they are punched and it will debur the inside at the same time. Perhaps remove your depriming pin and check a quantity of cases to ensure it is not a tight fit. You can also obtain for most die sets a small diameter depriming pin that is used on the much smaller 0.058" flash holes of some cases.

I can't check my cases as at present they are all primed ready to reload. You should visually check every new case irrespective of manufacturer for any burr or obstruction of the actual flash hole left from the manufacturing process. Even Lapua Cases that are drilled have been known to have a shaving in the flash hole, not many, perhaps one in a hundred but you should always check.

This is for .223R Cases. For those that use Lapua 6mmBR, 220 Russion, 308 Palma, 6.5x47L and the like that have a small 0.058" diameter flash hole do not ream the flash holes as most all reamers for these are 0.062" and will enlarge the flash hole to over design size and not desireable for best accuracy.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 05 Jul 2015, 8:51 pm

Okay, Outdoor Sporting Agencies is just one of the new distributors of ADI products as is NIOA so when this kicks in fully we should see a better supply of ADI Powder as it's no longer just Winchester Dealers getting supplies and a lot of country gun shops are now a lot happier.

Thank you Apollo, that is happy news.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Techc » 06 Jul 2015, 1:42 pm

Not yet but I have 100 cases loaded with Sierra Match Kings loaded for the range so will know in the next few weeks :D
.223 Remington Savage Model 12 FV
.308 Remington 700 SPS tactical
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm
Techc
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Prios » 06 Jul 2015, 3:38 pm

Now the new distributors are in place for ADI (apparently) should start to see more people trying their brass and feedback will start flowing in.
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gun Nut Gordo » 14 Aug 2015, 7:25 pm

I bought some and found that in my rifle Kimber 84M pro varmint .223 the pin wouldn't strike the primers hard enough because it was too short. But it worked well in a mates rifle and he's had no trouble with it so I sold it to him :)
Gun Nut Gordo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 17 Aug 2015, 4:06 pm

Gun Nut Gordo wrote:I bought some and found that in my rifle Kimber 84M pro varmint .223 the pin wouldn't strike the primers hard enough because it was too short.

Huh? you mean the pocket was too deep or what?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 25 Feb 2016, 10:06 am

I know I'm reviving an old thread but beats starting a new one. I've just bought 480rds of buffalo River .308 ammo (adi) I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with the brass? Cheers in advance
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Xerox » 10 Mar 2016, 1:47 pm

MalleeFarmer wrote:I know I'm reviving an old thread but beats starting a new one. I've just bought 480rds of buffalo River .308 ammo (adi) I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with the brass? Cheers in advance

I had 20 in my rotation for a while.

All F/L sized with no drama, necks trimmed and reloaded a dozen times before chucking them.

I never measured case capacity or got real fiddly with them but they were consistent as far as a cursory examination goes.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 10 Mar 2016, 1:54 pm

Cheers!
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by deadkitty » 20 Sep 2016, 6:46 pm

I have to agree with Chronos I've been using ADI brass exclusively....bought it cheap $48 /100 cases (Rebel Sports), have reloaded more than I can remember and had no issues. For a beginner like myself, it's good enough to learn reloading on and until I find a problem with it, I won't be in a hurry to change brands.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jeebo » 29 Sep 2016, 3:26 pm

deadkitty wrote:For a beginner like myself, it's good enough to learn reloading on and until I find a problem with it, I won't be in a hurry to change brands.

Ditto, I think you have to be chasing waaaaay more accuracy than is relevant for a beginner (me too really) for it to really matter, as long as you buy something quality.
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by KennyA » 30 Sep 2016, 6:03 am

I started my 223 reloading with 80 ADI cases.
I have now shot 500 rounds through my rifle with this brass.
I have never had any issues and are full length resizing every time.
The brass still looks like new. I sonic clean them after about every third load.
It's cheap and good value.
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by DATFISH » 18 Nov 2016, 10:11 pm

For what it is worth from a newbie to this game ..................... I just bought the following:

100 x.223 ADI unprimed cases with the following stats
Weight of Case
std dev 0.271
Median 90.800
Mean 90.801
Min 90.1
Max 91.4
spread 1.3
Most frequent 90.7
#number within +- .5 grn of mean 90
neck brass thickness (sample only) .0120 to .0135
unsized start length (sample only) 1.755

100 X .223 Lapua Match Cases with following stats

0.427 std dev
95.300 Median
95.330 Mean
94.300 Min
96.500 Max
2.200 spread
95.100 Most frequent
63.000 #number within +- .5 grn of mean
.0130 to .0140 neck brass thickness (sample only)
1.750 unsized start length (sample only)

on this sample ADI is a good deal for all but serious target rifle...but even then the proof will be in the durability of the cases .

Note :
1.no cases have been turned and on sample measurements Lapua is both more consistent in neck wall thickness ( slightly) and thicker in dimension, leaving perhaps (?) more scope to turn necks to a lower thickness and higher consistency.

2. Both samples bought from same retailer on same day.

thoughts ?
DATFISH
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 19 Nov 2016, 7:13 pm

Well, first... Welcome to the Forum.

Second... "Thoughts?"

What are you using to take your measurements with, neck thickness & weight.. ?

More scope to turn necks.. well that depends on what they are being used for and the chamber dimensions.

Buying from the same retailer on the same day doesn't mean much. ADI cases are good quality at a very reasonable price . Lapua are Match Grade cases and come in specific Lot numbers of which can vary. Same as Powder.

Not too sure what the point is here as it's like comparing chalk with cheese.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Nov 2016, 8:24 pm

DATFISH wrote:For what it is worth from a newbie to this game ..................... I just bought the following:

100 x.223 ADI unprimed cases with the following stats
Weight of Case
std dev 0.271
Median 90.800
Mean 90.801
Min 90.1
Max 91.4
spread 1.3
Most frequent 90.7
#number within +- .5 grn of mean 90
neck brass thickness (sample only) .0120 to .0135
unsized start length (sample only) 1.755

100 X .223 Lapua Match Cases with following stats

0.427 std dev
95.300 Median
95.330 Mean
94.300 Min
96.500 Max
2.200 spread
95.100 Most frequent
63.000 #number within +- .5 grn of mean
.0130 to .0140 neck brass thickness (sample only)
1.750 unsized start length (sample only)

on this sample ADI is a good deal for all but serious target rifle...but even then the proof will be in the durability of the cases .

Note :
1.no cases have been turned and on sample measurements Lapua is both more consistent in neck wall thickness ( slightly) and thicker in dimension, leaving perhaps (?) more scope to turn necks to a lower thickness and higher consistency.

2. Both samples bought from same retailer on same day.

thoughts ?

Does case weight have any value at all?
It's a waste of effort to weigh the brass until after you have trimmed them all to the same length at least, fixing primer pocket depth and flash hole diameter would also be good before weighing. If the lightest case also happens to be the longest one what does that tell you?
It's probably more accurate to weigh them after they've been fire-formed to the chamber as well so they're all the same dimensions.
But weighing them doesn't tell you anything about their volume, and that's what really matters.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 19 Nov 2016, 9:19 pm

All other things being equal, then weighing cases does give you a pretty good idea of what is most important...case internal volume. Measuring case volume is a very slow and time consuming task that also needs to be done correctly and not with just plain old water. Either way the internals of the cases need to be spotless, not full of old burnt powder residue. Fire forming first I believe has very little to no advantage other than coating the inside with crap, more to the point and like most case prep is to FLS every case first, then trim necks and you have a series of cases that are the same datum point measurement on the shoulder and the same neck length so overall they are pretty close. Firing them might flow a little brass around into other spots but it's still there so doesn't change anything really.

This sort of stuff is all about precision target shooters that are willing to take every task to the extreme to gain just that tiny, tiny fraction of improvement in accuracy and/or consistancy. Certainly not for the average Joe and probably not with ADI Cases that really are not up to the quality standard required.

It's all pretty crazy, just depends on how crazy one wants to be...

Me, I'm pretty stupid crazy but a couple of friends I reload for don't think so when they saw the improvement of accuracy and started winning competitions. I mean really, who weighs powder loads down to individual granules of powder and checks them. Haven't gone crazy enough to count every one of them yet... :unknown:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by snag » 20 Nov 2016, 9:46 pm

I bought a bag of 100 of these when I picked up my .223 and have reloaded them 6 times now with no failures at all. That's good enough for me.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bones-350 » 01 Aug 2017, 10:56 am

I purchased 100 Brass stamped OSA from my local gun shop. OSA and ADI I'm told are the same thing.
From new this brass has only been Neck Sized never FLS.
35 are in waiting for their 3rd firing.
Using Hornady Digital Calipers & the Hornady Case Head Gauge
- All 35 loaded loads had a Headspace measuring 1.454"
- As for the other 65 cases that have already fired their 3rd loads.
- 31x measured a headspace of 1.456"
- 27x measured a headspace of 1.457"
- 7x measured a headspace of 1.458"
- Mind you I have never trimmed this brass and those 65 cases had variation in case length of 1.751" to 1.755"
- 2 cases measured 1.751" & 1 case measured 1.1755".
- The remaining 62 case lengths measured between 1.752" to 1.754".
When I Purchased these 100 cases the weight variation in the batch was 1 grain between the lightest and heaviest brass casing.
For the $38 spent on these 100 cases I consider them excellent bang for my money.
You can draw your own conclusions on the OSA (ADI) brand brass.
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by MacktheNice » 04 Sep 2019, 10:30 pm

G'day all. This is my virgin post so please be gentle with me. A few admissions first. I am one of those picky handloaders who does everything to prepare brass except H2O case capacity. Hey, at my age, (three score years and then some) some things are just too picky! Been a rifleman since I was around that tall....
Recently managed to (finally) buy a Savage 12 Long Range Varmint rifle with right hand bolt, left hand port single shot in .223 and so here starts my experience with that calibre. (My armoury travels from 17 Ackley Hornet to 300Win Mag).
I was given 100+ unfired ADI brass by a friend of mine headstamped A D I 00 F1. I would say it had been a few years since manufacture. It had uniform annealing marks on each cartridge.
I also purchased 100 Remington brass from my local gunshop in rural/regional area.
OBSERVATIONS: This is a no-nonsense quality brass that I would compare any day of the week with my favoured Lapua.
PREPARATION:
Tumbled in corn cob media.
Full length resized with two (pain in the butt) stuck cases.
Trimmed to length, or tried the first ten that were spot on to 1.750 +/- 0.0005 (I did them all anyway - did I say picky)
Neck turned to 0.011 again, after 10 they were entirely uniform (again I did them all - beautiful brass to work with)
Using RCBS prep station deburred the flash hole. A microscopic burr was evident before deburring but quickly removed.
Primer pocket chamfer
Primer pocket sized - no material removed
All pockets perfectly uniformed
Debur and chamfer necks as per normal
PRIMER:
Remington No.71/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest Primers seated perfectly just below base.
LOADING:
26.5g ADI AR2206 (compressed) fills to half neck but presented no problems with 50g HDY V-MAX and 52g SIERRA MatchKing HPBT seated touching lands in both.
FIRING:
Easy bolt close and eject, no pressure signs and back to the reloading bench.

This brass returned 'unchanged' aside form more defined shoulder (as expected from first firing).

CONCLUSION: Impressed would be to understate the results. Keeping in mind that this brass is headstamped A D I 00 F1 and not "ASO" I can only speak for this batch. If the ASO batch is anywhere near as good, then fill your boots. THIS ADO 00 F1 brass is flawless.
MacktheNice
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition