Getting into reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Getting into reloading

Post by simmo » 10 Jul 2015, 6:40 pm

Gday all

Im looking to get into hand loading having just fired a batch of handloads someone made for me through my .308 Target rifle and have realised Im now spoit. I cant actually go back to shooting factory :thumbsup:

Im thinking about getting one of the starter kits and Looking at the various gear out there, is there any brand or set up that is better than the others for starting out??
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Getting into reloading

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2015, 7:09 pm

I have not used but have seen the Lee kit. At $210 looks like great value. You can pick up a set of dies fot about $45. Thers is better gear around but you pay for it. Perhaps someone here has one?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 10 Jul 2015, 7:29 pm

If you are thinking about starting to reload your own ammo I highly recommend buying a copy of Nick Harvey's reloading manual and read it thoroughly before starting out, lots of good info in there for a newbie, don't just rely on what you find on the net/forums, then get someone who is an experienced reloader to go through the steps with you. I consider reloading as another hobbie that fits in well with shooting but without some due caution things can go bad, you are dealing with a minor explosion and a helluva lot of pressure inches from your face, have seen the end results of people trying to get that last bit of velocity :(
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jul 2015, 7:39 pm

Simmo,
Will depend on how much you're planning to shoot to see if reloading is economical for you. Starter kits are good if you're only going to do low volumes or just working towards that round with the best accuracy for your rifle.

The first step should be to buy some measuring gear - Dial Caliper, O.A.L Gauge, Bullet comparator. (I use Hornady but there's just as good or better available from others).

As a minimum to begin with -
Press, Dies, Shell Holder, Lube, Priming tool, Case trimmer, Scales, Powder thrower, Powder trickle. (The last 2 I consider optional if volume very low).

Couple of videos below that go into good detail around precision reloading, part 1 is probably the more relevant. They explain what to do, how to do it and most importantly why you do it. Have a look and don't hesitate to ask questions. Depending on where you're located in NSW there may be a someone nearby happy to show you / mentor you through the process. I've only come across 1 rifle that shoots worse on reloads and that's my Sako 204 Ruger so it's fed factory rounds but all others have shown marked improvement of group size from proper load development and precision reloading techniques.

Part 1. (The pace is a little slow)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnrYp0NH38

Part 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igse-APgpEc
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 11 Jul 2015, 1:09 am

I have a lee turret press and i'm quite happy with it. I can go as fast or as slowly as i like, and i just change out the turret and i can go from one cal to the next. Or remove the indexing rod and its a single stage press.

As a rule, i always weigh the first few charges individually to make sure the charge is being thrown consistently, then 1 in every 6 or 7 throws.

Take it slowly to begin with. Patience plus attention equals safety.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 11 Jul 2015, 1:45 am

simmo wrote:Gday all

Im looking to get into hand loading having just fired a batch of handloads someone made for me through my .308 Target rifle and have realised Im now spoit. I cant actually go back to shooting factory :thumbsup:

Im thinking about getting one of the starter kits and Looking at the various gear out there, is there any brand or set up that is better than the others for starting out??

It all depends on what you call a "Target Rifle"....

Starter kits will not give you target grade reloading, in general.

Start by asking / seeing what the person that made some handloads for you was using.

There is a big difference between making accurate ammo and precision target grade. Hands on advice is the best to see what is involved and what equipment is required.

Precision reloading can be extremely expensive... :o :o
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 11 Jul 2015, 4:18 pm

What Brett said.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jul 2015, 5:16 pm

What u need to do is decide.
What the budget is?

Then.

If u want to reload for competition accuracy,(fairly costly) or
You want to load for great hunting accuracy, enjoyment, and save a few $ at the same time.

Well thats the way I look at it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harper » 13 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm

Oldbloke wrote:If u want to reload for competition accuracy,(fairly costly) or
You want to load for great hunting accuracy, enjoyment, and save a few $ at the same time.

Well thats the way I look at it.

I'll give a +1

For serious, competitive shooting a basic kit will not give you the edge you need.

For near anything else it's fine.

Just saying if you're starting out of just having fun don't let the serious guys bag out the cheaper kit to you :lol:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by simmo » 15 Jul 2015, 3:55 pm

Thanks eveyone, advice guidence and any other comstructive comments are very welcome. Im lucky enough to have a fairly experienced guide on this new hobbie and will be getting as much much hands on experience as i can. I might make the small investment in the measuring gear and get my head around making the rounds to sit perfectly within the dimensions of the chambers of my respective rifles (projectile seating depths, re-necking cases etc) and then and then on to the reloading steps. The kits seem okay value but might take my time and look at what isx available second hand.
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JOY » 15 Jul 2015, 4:17 pm

I'm just starting to reload for my new rifle..
giving the foxes a belting on the farm so it's time to learn more here
JOY
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tonit » 16 Jul 2015, 3:36 pm

And save yourself some bucks if you've got lots to belt ;)
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gun Nut Gordo » 14 Aug 2015, 7:23 pm

Oh yeah this is one that always starts out "I'll just get this!" then $2000 later
Relaoding is part of the fun of shooting (well for me it is anyway) I do a bit of target shooting but not on a competitive level and with hand loads get some pretty decent groups, also it does save you money and there's great satisfaction when you get the recipe right and you're hitting 10c pieces at 100 yards.

But yeah the cost can be a killer, or you can keep it relatively simple if you have that kind of discipline (I don't of course lol) One thing that is an absolute MUST though is a cordless drill, it will become you're best friend when reloading
Gun Nut Gordo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 17 Aug 2015, 3:01 pm

Gun Nut Gordo wrote:One thing that is an absolute MUST though is a cordless drill, it will become you're best friend when reloading

I assume you mean for trimming necks and uniforming primer pockets?
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition