Things you didn't know about Ammo

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Things you didn't know about Ammo

Post by brett1868 » 25 Aug 2015, 11:33 pm

Interesting video I recently came across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXwtOfrZyrE

Go to 40:45 to see "Gunny" get scoped...I've had a few kisses from the scopes on my 50's but no blood yet :D . I have a pack of band aids in my range box especially for treating "Weatherby Eyebrow". When I read specs on scopes that say "Generous 70mm eye relief, best in class", I think they'd change that statement if shooting 50BMG cause 70mm is bare minimum. Don't hold it right and it'll bite you hard.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Things you didn't know about Ammo

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Aug 2015, 6:22 pm

I watched FMJ last week, that guy seriously doesnt age, it was 30 years ago!!

But I did notice in your vids, the scopes get right up close to your brow with those monsters, you'd need to work hard to keep it off your brow - was it the 375?? with the mild brake?? I think the 50 is tamed well...

good stuff brett
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 26 Aug 2015, 8:39 pm

He was shooting the Barrett M99 Single shot 50BMG with Hornady factory ammo. I use the exact same ammo in my 50's mainly as it's the only factory round available here and the AMAX 750gr projectile is the only accurate one I can find locally for reloads. The M99 is quite well braked so I'm not sure how he managed to crack his eyebrow with it, probably not pulled tight enough into the shoulder or he hadn't loaded up the bipod. Best braked 50 is the Steyr HS50 but also being a heavy bugger helps, worst for recoil is my DTA HTI with the 50 barrel and the M99 heavy barrelled .416 kicks less then a 308. The light 50's will bite you very hard if you're not holding it just right. Old mate Laurie in the video below, first shot he gets a kiss to the forehead but no blood. I called him a pussy and said he needed to man up for a second shot, he did and it almost knocked him off the stool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8HFqSaZW5g
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Aug 2015, 8:39 pm

Ha ha good one !

I'll never forget about a workmate and a good mate of mine .
My good mate pulled his .223 out at work on knock off and offered my workmate a shot. He asked " have you ever shot before ? " workmate says " yes " so good mate hands him the .223 and workmate loads it, shoulders it and puts his eye right up against the scope ... good mate thinks, wtf ???? Then BANG !!! silly prick copped a full ring around his eye and it cut through on his eyebrow drawing blood SOOOO FUNNY!
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 26 Aug 2015, 8:55 pm

Eye relief on scopes is a very critical specification, that extra 5mm can me the difference between a kiss and a trip to the hospital for some stiches. I was very surprised to see the Gunnery Sargent cop a whack from the scope but he laughed it off and kept shooting.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Aug 2015, 9:13 pm

I've never shot bigger than .308 but the closest I've ever come to being smacked with the scope was with my .243
I had one load that was 10 grains overcharged ( thats another story ) sat the rifle over the bonnet on the bipod, lined up and took my shot ... FUC#ING BOOM !! ...
The scope just touched my eyebrow and I thought " that was weird ? .... oh well "
I'm so lucky that my rifle didn't turn into a hand grenade.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Aug 2015, 9:21 am

brett1868 wrote:Eye relief on scopes is a very critical specification, that extra 5mm can me the difference between a kiss and a trip to the hospital for some stiches. I was very surprised to see the Gunnery Sargent cop a whack from the scope but he laughed it off and kept shooting.

I'd be wanting at least a foot on those boomers.... do they do LER in high magnification? scout scope of the fifty :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Elek » 31 Aug 2015, 9:57 am

brett1868 wrote:Interesting video I recently came across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXwtOfrZyrE

Go to 40:45 to see "Gunny" get scoped...I've had a few kisses from the scopes on my 50's but no blood yet :D

You're not part of the club until you've drawn blood :lol:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Arth » 31 Aug 2015, 11:03 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I had one load that was 10 grains overcharged ( thats another story ) sat the rifle over the bonnet on the bipod, lined up and took my shot ... FUC#ING BOOM !! ...

Tell it, tell it :mrgreen:
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 01 Sep 2015, 8:13 am

Arth wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I had one load that was 10 grains overcharged ( thats another story ) sat the rifle over the bonnet on the bipod, lined up and took my shot ... FUC#ING BOOM !! ...

Can't say I've ever double charged or over charged a case so I'd like to hear how you got 10gr over loaded :) At least with that load you effectively "Proofed" the action for yourself :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 01 Sep 2015, 10:08 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:I watched FMJ last week, that guy seriously doesnt age, it was 30 years ago!!

And he's so pretty :lol:

willem_dafoe.jpg
willem_dafoe.jpg (6.7 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Sep 2015, 5:20 pm

<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Sep 2015, 9:33 pm

Arth wrote:

I was reloading a batch of 100 .243 using a lee hand loader, measuring all charges with a beam scale.
I would punch out the old primer, neck size, smack in the new primer, measure out my powder, pour it in and bash in a projectile.
At some point while bashing and hammering bullets together I managed to bump the beam scale over on the course side adjustment by10 grains.
I reloaded a heap like this before realizing my mistake. .. so i figured I could weigh the assembled cartridges to determine which ones were overcharged. ... yeah right ... 10 grains isn't much when your brass isn't up to competition spec.
I found the overcharged ones and pulled the projectiles and re loaded them with the correct charge ... at least I though I did.

I definitely missed one.

I still use the lee hand loading kit, but since then I have changed to a different powder, an extra 10 grains won't fit now as I'm filling the case.
I also do the whole lot one step at a time so while I'm weighing out the charges there is minimal chance for me to bump the scales and move the weights on the beam.
IMG_10851135207528.jpeg
IMG_10851135207528.jpeg (14.01 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Sep 2015, 9:47 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Arth wrote:

Can't say I've ever double charged or over charged a case so I'd like to hear how you got 10gr over loaded :) At least with that load you effectively "Proofed" the action for yourself :)

Too bad I wasn't using a chronograph, that one must have been HUMMING !

Surprisingly the bolt opened up easily and the primer was only flattened a little.

I won't be trying it again. Good old Remington 700 toughness.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 01 Sep 2015, 11:08 pm

Thanks for sharing that, simple enough to do I guess and lucky you caught it. I've deliberately gone hot on loads just cause I was young, stupid and felt like testing my luck. Got to the point where half the projectiles disappeared in a puff of lead as they exited the muzzle on my old Sako 22-250. My latest misadventure was a slight miscalculation where I went 5gr more instead of 5gr less making for a 10gr overload. 190gr vrs 180gr isn't much % wise but makes a fairly big difference at the muzzle. Instead of 3150fps I was punching the 395gr brass VLD's out at 3300-3380fps. Now I have to disassemble 200 rounds to knock the load back 10gr, if you never make a mistake then your not learning :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Pilch » 07 Sep 2015, 9:42 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I still use the lee hand loading kit, but since then I have changed to a different powder, an extra 10 grains won't fit now as I'm filling the case.

Some fool proof safety built in to the powder their ;)
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition