My ungrateful rifle - Ruger Gunsight Scout

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

My ungrateful rifle - Ruger Gunsight Scout

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Sep 2015, 2:38 pm

I took my Ruger Scout out yesterday to do load development, something I've been putting off for quite a while. My Scout wears a red dot scope so no magnification and the dot is 3 or 4 MOA. I use SSAA square targets for my load development which have a 4" square. So at 100 yards the dot basically fits inside the square and gives me an easy aiming point. The original idea for a Scout rifle called for 2 MOA accuracy so anything under 2 MOA is a success for me.

I started by firing a couple of factory rounds to get my eye in because I hadn't shot the Scout for nearly a year. The result is below, one shot I pulled and due to having no magnification small variations at the rifle translate to large changes on target, but the other shots form a nice group approximately 1 MOA.

Then I started in on testing loads

The results were pretty abismal. The best group was around 1.5 MOA which does come in under my stated goal of 2 MOA but after the factory rounds I had high expectations.

So my final conclusion is after taking the time to prep brass, weigh charges, seat projectiles and ensure everything is uniform my ungrateful rifle prefers standard Federal ammo! Less work for me I guess but now I've gotta keep an eye out for factory ammo specials :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: My Ungrateful Rifle

Post by pajamatime » 06 Sep 2015, 2:42 pm

oh well unless your doing something like bench rest I wouldnt get too cranky about it ^_^ lol
what you planning on doing with the rifle? edit: btw scout rifles are a awesome setup. Everyone should have at least 1...
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Sep 2015, 2:46 pm

Short range pig gun. 0-150 meters. If I had known I would have stocked up when you could still get the Federals for $1 each
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Sep 2015, 2:52 pm

What load did you try? I wouldn't give up quite yet, perhaps try a different powder or projectile?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Sep 2015, 3:12 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:What load did you try? I wouldn't give up quite yet, perhaps try a different powder or projectile?

Tried 150gr Hornady Interlocks and 2206H. I use both these components in my other 308 so I buy them in bulk. Since the Federals more than satisfy the accuracy standard I was looking for in this rifle and I use the Federal cases for my other 308 it makes sense to just buy the factory rather than invest in more components. I don't see myself shooting this rifle too regularly anyway so 200 rounds would probably last me many years.

If I'd use the rifle more for target work then I would try a few more components though
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 06 Sep 2015, 5:23 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I took my Ruger Scout out yesterday to do load development, something I've been putting off for quite a while. My Scout wears a red dot scope so no magnification and the dot is 3 or 4 MOA. I use SSAA square targets for my load development which have a 4" square. So at 100 yards the dot basically fits inside the square and gives me an easy aiming point. The original idea for a Scout rifle called for 2 MOA accuracy so anything under 2 MOA is a success for me.
:

I would use a scope over a red dot sight for load development, when you have the loads sorted put the red dot back on.

You are trying to shoot better than 2 moa when your dot is 3-4 moa, the red dot is great for quick target acquisition yet not so good for absolute precision.

Sometimes you go backwards with load development nothing to worry about as you learn what doesn't work.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Sep 2015, 5:53 pm

Looks pretty normal for a Ruger (got one) :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Sep 2015, 6:38 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Looks pretty normal for a Ruger (got one) :thumbsup:

Oooh... Them's fighting words :)

I happen to have a couple of rugers and they're accurate enough, but i don't target shoot, I just drop pests from all sorts of ranges.

I've had a pretty good run with my rugers, and they're not overly fussy, so I count myself lucky
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Sep 2015, 6:41 pm

I should also mention I'm not a fan of federal ammo, but my .30-06 likes the 150gr soft points well enough, and the brass is ok, so I have a few boxes to get some more brass.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Sep 2015, 6:47 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:I would use a scope over a red dot sight for load development, when you have the loads sorted put the red dot back on.

You are trying to shoot better than 2 moa when your dot is 3-4 moa, the red dot is great for quick target acquisition yet not so good for absolute precision.

Sometimes you go backwards with load development nothing to worry about as you learn what doesn't work.

That's a good point actually. I didn't have a spare scope anyway though. Something to consider for the future
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Sep 2015, 7:09 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Looks pretty normal for a Ruger (got one) :thumbsup:

Oooh... Them's fighting words :)

I happen to have a couple of rugers and they're accurate enough, but i don't target shoot, I just drop pests from all sorts of ranges.

I've had a pretty good run with my rugers, and they're not overly fussy, so I count myself lucky

Not saying they are bad mate but that seems to be standard sort of accuracy you get from em - I enjoy using the wifes to smash foxes as does she (she hasn't missed a fox or rabbit using it so far) The wifes shoots around 20mm groups with handloads (still haven't done any full on load testing for it) bought it 2nd hand off a mate - basically brand new other than about 50 handloads he and I put through it (he made up a few hundred handloads and we've just been using those until they are all finished then I will start working on what makes it tick. :thumbsup:

As you point out good hunting rifles but not much chop for target shooting (which is understandable as they are hunting rifles after all) No doubt with some fine tuning and good handloads they would shoot just as good as anything else out there, just not needed for the types of things we hunt :thumbsup:

I should also mention that the scope Baldrick was using isn't the best one for trying to shoot groups with, find a scope with x-hairs would be the best thing you could do if you want to do load testing. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Strikey » 06 Sep 2015, 7:53 pm

Those groups all look like minute of pig to me ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sender » 08 Sep 2015, 3:20 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:The results were pretty abismal. The best group was around 1.5 MOA which does come in under my stated goal of 2 MOA but after the factory rounds I had high expectations.

So my final conclusion is after taking the time to prep brass, weigh charges, seat projectiles and ensure everything is uniform my ungrateful rifle prefers standard Federal ammo! Less work for me I guess but now I've gotta keep an eye out for factory ammo specials :lol:

Murphy's law :lol:

Looking at the guns in your signature I assume you're no novice and knew already not every hand load works better. You've gotta find the right one of course.

I take it you've just tried a range of charges for 1 projectile so far?
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 08 Sep 2015, 3:46 pm

Sender wrote:Murphy's law :lol:

Looking at the guns in your signature I assume you're no novice and knew already not every hand load works better. You've gotta find the right one of course.

I take it you've just tried a range of charges for 1 projectile so far?

Yeah I just tried the components from my other 308 hunting load. Before I experiment more I'll try a few more groups of factory. If I can repeatably get good results from it I'll just stick with that lol
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 08 Sep 2015, 4:32 pm

With a red dot….what do you expect. Even on a bench. I am a fan of energy :D

Load to the max and the accuracy will still be enough. The side of a pig can't tell 1MOA from 2, of course 20 MOA he might notice…..and run away!

The red dot will do the job so long as you do also.

Dont stress it. Accuracy is all about the intended use.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rippah » 10 Sep 2015, 11:49 am

Does sound a bit like you're making it harder for yourself than it needs to be testing with a dot scope.

Just opening it up to more human error I think.

Still, 1 MOA is more than enough for hunting so whatever :)
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition