Lead fumes from casting bullets?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lead fumes from casting bullets?

Post by meateater » 28 Oct 2013, 6:51 pm

I'm no expert so this might be a stupid question, but it just dawned on me so thought I'd ask.

When casting your own bullets you're obviously melting lead...

Melted lead = lead poisoning?

I don't know how much of a thing lead poisoning actually is these days, but short of eating it, this seems like the way to get it?
meateater
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Lead fumes from casting bullets?

Post by Warrigul » 28 Oct 2013, 6:53 pm

i'Hve biN mAkIN mi oWN leAD buLLiTs fir AGes anD Te fums HaSiNT hert Me.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Tinked » 28 Oct 2013, 6:58 pm

Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Guliver » 28 Oct 2013, 8:22 pm

I don't usually melt down large quantities of lead, but I do solder electronics often, it's quite usual to use a small computer fan or fancier set up to draw the fumes away.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by inspector » 28 Oct 2013, 8:25 pm

I believe (not a doctor or a metallurgist) that lead only lets of fumes when it's boiling, and you don't reach boiling temperature when casting bullets.

Usual safety stuff though, well ventilated area just in case and all that...
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by DaleH » 21 Nov 2013, 11:20 pm

Funnily enough, I am a metallurgist. Even at temperatures below boiling, lead does give off fumes (just like water evaporating on a hot day, molten lead is no different). Lead fumes are the best way of adsorbing lead as the fumes go straight into your lungs where there is a great supply of blood (to transfer oxygen from the air into your blood) that will suck up the lead very easily.
Just like when soldering, well ventilated area and ideally with a fan blowing the fumes away from you (and everyone else).
Occasional exposure is no problem but as the lead accumulates in your system it adds up over time and can cause issues.
The other thing to be certain of is that you wash your hands (and face) prior to eating, drinking or especially smoking. Injection in this way is the second most effective way of ingesting lead.
If the right precautions are taken (no food, drink, smoking unless hands and face are clean), only getting the lead and molds as hot a needed to get a good cast and fume extraction / air flow, then casting your own will cause no issues.
Hope this helps. Happy to dig up more info and post it if anyone is interested.
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 22 Nov 2013, 7:32 am

DaleH wrote:Just like when soldering, well ventilated area and ideally with a fan blowing the fumes away from you (and everyone else).

Or at the bloke at work you don't like :lol:

j/k
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition