opinions on steel cartridges

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

opinions on steel cartridges

Post by juststarting » 10 Sep 2015, 11:04 am

Hi all

Just wondering about buying ammo with steel cartridges, i.e. not brass.

Thoughts, recommendations, etc?

Seems to be a lot cheaper for 308 but since I've never seen or used them before, thought I'd ask...

Thanks
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: opinions on steel cartridges

Post by Rippah » 10 Sep 2015, 11:22 am

Steel is harder than brass obviously, harder on your chamber and your extractors.

AFAIK the only reason they use it is because it's cheap, not good.
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Arth » 10 Sep 2015, 2:16 pm

You can't reload it either so don't buy it if you want to use it again.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 10 Sep 2015, 9:00 pm

The rounds that I was were Hornady 308 steel cartridge rounds, which worked out to about 68c a round. I don't think I am too concerned with reloading. I don't reload, I may later, but at this stage - not really. So I don't factor in the 'keeping brass' for reloading factor.

Just wondering if they are more or less the same. Would they mess up my precious more so then brass, etc.

In fact I only seen these rounds recently, so I am wondering about health and accuracy of the rifle, more so than anything else.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 11 Sep 2015, 3:17 am

From what I have read, you'll lose barrel accuracy before they do any wear to your extractor (which is cheap) or your chamber. That steel is pretty soft. People have difficulty in quantifying any additional wear in semi-autos with 10,000 rounds through them.

I know a lot of steel is military garbage. Sounds like that is not the steel you are interested in. I don't know, but I would expect even high quality steel case rounds to be somewhat less accurate due to weak obituation in the chamber. Bullet presentation to the lands is supposedly pretty important to accuracy, but I am not a precision shooter.

So, I have no first hand experience but that is what I have read and what I think. I have shot steel but it was blasting with government junk so that probably doesn't mean much to you.

I certainly don't think there would be any issue buying a box and seeing what it does. If it sucks in your rifle then you don't have to worry about all the speculation. :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by becks » 11 Sep 2015, 11:00 am

At 68c a shot that would be about as cheap as reloading for .308 anyway so if it shoots good?
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by heeple » 11 Sep 2015, 11:11 am

Rippah wrote:Steel is harder than brass obviously, harder on your chamber and your extractors.

Harder on the extractors can't be good?
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Berper » 11 Sep 2015, 1:29 pm

I haven't worn extractors out before but I suspect this might be one of those things that is true on paper but doesn't make much difference IRL.

Yes, steel is harder the brass so using brass cases will be easier on them in theory.

Extractor's don't really do a high impact job though so how much wear can putting steel cases through them really add I wonder?
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by VICHunter » 15 Sep 2015, 3:49 pm

Thinking the same as above about the extractors. It wouldn't bother me if the ammo shoots.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition