Lee Loader

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee Loader

Post by zobster » 02 Oct 2015, 9:37 pm

Hi guys, anyone using one of these hammer driven reloader?

http://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-223-rem.html

I'm planning to buy one to start reloading my 223 and 308.

I was wondering if anyone uses one of them? Reviews and opinions please.

I understand that different powders have different volumes for a similar charge and the powder measure included is volume based. I'm afraid that I might overcharge a cartridge and blow my rifle up.

Please help.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Lee Loader

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Oct 2015, 10:09 pm

My old man himself took plenty of them out when in the middle of nowhere and needing to reload spent casings. According to him they were pretty great for field work and he would use the Lee loader in .303 for a whole variety of tasks. Sturdy, reliable, and mosg importantly, they seem to reload casings pretty fine if you aren't 100% serious about handloads, but he sold his ages ago, but we kept the mallet with us as they're pretty nice. A small powder measure as well to go with them like E scales might also be helpful not to overload.

We've actually been looking ourselves for a lee loadef, but .303 LLs have apparentley gone out of production! Can't say much on 223 and 308 LLs, but shop around. In the long run, if you can, a full size bench and handloading kit would be a great addition
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by zobster » 02 Oct 2015, 10:23 pm

Pill and powder combination would also be very much appreciated.

I'm mainly reloading them for plinking so it doesn't have to be very precise. My plan is to start with this and eventually move to a single stage press.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by NuZo » 02 Oct 2015, 10:32 pm

Here's a video i did a few years ago showing how i use the lee loader. I currently own two of them. one in 223 and one in 308. they're bloody awesome.

https://youtu.be/6mnY5ZFcdtA

One thing to note is, you can only neck size your brass with this kit, so eventually you will have to full length size on a press, or buy new brass.

Cheers,

Nuzo

P.S. They rust fairly easily so make sure you wipe them down with oil after each use.
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by Heckler303 » 02 Oct 2015, 10:37 pm

zobster wrote:Pill and powder combination would also be very much appreciated.

I'm mainly reloading them for plinking so it doesn't have to be very precise. My plan is to start with this and eventually move to a single stage press.

Not entirely sure on best handloads, I think I'd need to consult with old man again for those. Or there are a lot of 223 and 308 guides out there to look at that may be a bit more reliable.

If you're wanting to start doing some good plinking loads or any kind of handloads but don't want to fork out 400 dollars for an RCBS, look for a simplex press.
I got one, and its progressive with a 6 head turret, so I could theorectically set up the dies for one or two calibres and deprime, resize, get a powder thrower with scales and chuck some AR into a casing, seat a bullet and bring it down again, and I'd have perfect plinking ammo made in under 10 seconds. Just search online for Super simpex presses, I got mine from a guy in vic a week ago, its a little old like all of them now, but I love em. Normal price is 100-200 plus postage and dies.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2015, 7:34 am

I stared out with 1 of those in 30-30. Basic but do the job. Still have it in the shed. TBO you would be better of buying the Lee kit that is availabl for about $200 + the cost of dies.
http://leeprecision.com/50th-anniversar ... r-kit.html
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by newsteadvic » 03 Oct 2015, 2:46 pm

That is how I started reloading, using a Lee Loader in .243. I would suggest a set of scales so you are not restricted to dipper volumes and a set of vernier calipers for measuring Over All Length (sometimes also written COAL - Cartridge Overall Length).
Even though I now have two presses and all the dies, I still use the Lee Loader for my .243 as it makes accurate ammunition:

Western Firearms are the importer in Australia for Lee gear and are good to deal with. Madcommando and TitanReloading in the US will ship Lee Loaders to Australia, do the maths about the current exchange rate and postage, may no longer be best price!
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Oct 2015, 3:11 pm

I use a lee loader with fine results.

I've been able to tune my .243 to .5 moa using one.

I also use a beam scale to weigh every charge, a home made powder trickeler, a powder funnel, nylon hammer to bash on the lee tooling, a primer pocket cleaner , a good edge chamfering tool, a quality case length trimmer , and vernier calapers.

I also anneal my brass to give me constant neck tension and increased case life and that costs little more than your time.

With attention to detail you can produce extremely consistent and accurate rounds using the lee hand loader and still be able to keep a straight face when you tell your mates that you reload to save money.
2015-10-03 15.04.45.jpg
2015-10-03 15.04.45.jpg (591.71 KiB) Viewed 8261 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SendIt » 05 Oct 2015, 10:27 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I've been able to tune my .243 to .5 moa using one.

In what rifle? Just curious.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 05 Oct 2015, 1:36 pm

Thanks for all your input guys! Really appreciate it. I've read more about the lee loaders and how to use the dipper system.

I'm pretty happy with the expected end results as it's just for plinking and not any serious paper punching or hunting applications.

I'll get a set of callipers and will diy a wet tumbler and that's all the gear I'll be purchasing until first quarter of next year when I plan to get serious into reloading.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by newsteadvic » 05 Oct 2015, 1:50 pm

Great, have fun. Just remember the load data that comes with the Lee Loader and dipper volumes will be using the US names for Australian (ADI) powders

This is the list of ADI powders that are re-packaged and sold in the US by Hodgdon;
Some ADI propellants are sold in the US by the Hodgdon Powder Company, including
AR2208 which is sold as Varget. It is the same powder.
Attached is a listed of other powders sold in the US under the Hodgdon brand.
Extreme caution should be taken and loads should be worked up accordingly. Refer to
our website at http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide or our hand-loaders’ guide for
more information, warnings and reloading safety.
We thank you for using ADI Sporting Powders.

Yours Sincerely
ADI Technical Centre

ADI / Hodgdon Propellants

ADI Powder/Hodgdon naming
AS30N.................Clays
Trail Boss.............Trail Boss
AS50N.................International
AP70N.................Universal
AR2205...............H4227
AR2207...............H4198
AR2219...............H322
BM2....................Benchmark
AR2206H.............H4895
AR2208...............Varget
AR2209...............H4350
AR2213SC...........H4831 / H4831SC
AR2217...............H1000
AR2225...............Retumbo
AR2218...............H50BMG
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Oct 2015, 9:28 pm

SendIt wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I've been able to tune my .243 to .5 moa using one.

In what rifle? Just curious.

Remington. BDL .243 9 1/8 twist , 22" barrel .. carefully prepared and annealed winchester brass, 100 gn Sierra game king sp bt projectiles set .2 mm from the lands using 34gr of 2208 powder

( Do not duplicate this reload in your rifle, this is considered a hot load , caution and experience must be exercised working up loads )

2015-10-05 22.14.18.jpg
2015-10-05 22.14.18.jpg (428.04 KiB) Viewed 8212 times

5 shot group. .. there's always one to spoil the party.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ebr love » 07 Oct 2015, 8:35 am

Seems odd to do it with a mallet to me, like results would be all over the place but it's consistent then?
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Oct 2015, 11:24 pm

ebr love wrote:Seems odd to do it with a mallet to me, like results would be all over the place but it's consistent then?

More than consistent enough for me.

There is more improvement to be had once I sort my cases by volume.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Xerox » 08 Oct 2015, 12:33 pm

ebr love wrote:Seems odd to do it with a mallet to me, like results would be all over the place but it's consistent then?

It won't be one for the match shooting boys but the hammer can only go as far as the face of the die so it would be consistent enough for most of us.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Oct 2015, 7:44 pm

If your you hit them too hard there is a possibility that the inertia may overcome the neck tension allowing them to seat slightly deeper, gentle taps with soft hammer or small dead blow hammer should prevent it from happening.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sarki » 12 Oct 2015, 10:09 am

Is it much faster than running a press?
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by NuZo » 15 Oct 2015, 4:05 pm

sarki wrote:Is it much faster than running a press?

It's not faster, it's just a different way of doing it.

Cheers,

Nuzo
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Oct 2015, 6:45 pm

If you,
Have 1 calibre
Dont mind it being a bit slow
Dont load a lot
Dont need to full length resize
Do have a tight budget

Then they are a great way to start reloading.
If you want more,,, by a kit.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 15 Oct 2015, 7:28 pm

So why are the Lee Kits so cheap? Compared to the likes of Hornady and RCBS kits. This is from a noob on this stuff :) Sorry to hijack.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Oct 2015, 7:41 pm

Not a normal loader. Very basic, but to their credit they do work. You get a complete system for the cost of just dies.

download.jpg
download.jpg (10.41 KiB) Viewed 6464 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 21 Oct 2015, 8:02 am

Oldbloke wrote:If you,
Have 1 calibre
Dont mind it being a bit slow
Dont load a lot
Dont need to full length resize
Do have a tight budget

Then they are a great way to start reloading.
If you want more,,, by a kit.

Good for space, don't need to dedicate a bench to it for a press.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by NuZo » 21 Oct 2015, 8:44 am

they're also really practical, you can reload anywhere. at the range, out on a hunting trip, back of the ute etc. again, pro's and cons to every system.
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by brett1868 » 21 Oct 2015, 4:01 pm

Like anything, without pictures it's all B.S so here's my Dillon XL650 all pimped out with case feeder and Hornady bullet feeder. Should be able to churn out 500-600 rounds and hour which will save me a heap of time. Currently I have toolheads for 9mm & 38Super but will get another 3-4 setup for 38/357, 44mag, 45ACP and .223 I'm heading to the U.S in a couple weeks for some R & R with the family and to do a few training courses so I'll see what parts I can buy there :)

IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG (509.85 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Carter » 22 Oct 2015, 9:41 am

What's the black cylinder bit on the top left there?
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 22 Oct 2015, 10:46 am

Carter wrote:What's the black cylinder bit on the top left there?

That's the Hornady Bullet feeder which places the projectiles into the neck of the flared and charged case prior to the next station that seats & crimps. Dillon for all their innovation don't have their own purpose built bullet feeder. I looked at the "Mr Bullet Feeder" but due to its requirements of projectile specific plates rather then calibre specific I decided on the Hornady feeder. A coat of gloss black paint on the support post and some brackets to secure it level to the rear of the press were the only modifications. The Hornady feeder is very easy to set up and works perfectly on the Dillon press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74X8SvkpK0Y
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Hinky » 26 Oct 2015, 9:24 am

Awesome rig in action :mrgreen:
Mosin Nagant M1891
Sako Finnbear L61R 25-06
Browning T-Bolt .22LR Sporter
Browning BL22
Hinky
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sam45 » 27 Oct 2015, 4:48 pm

Nice set up. I was looking at a hornady kit...Not cheap to start, but would be fun to learn and work out cheaper and better loads :)
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Oct 2015, 6:27 pm

Sam45 wrote:Nice set up. I was looking at a hornady kit...Not cheap to start, but would be fun to learn and work out cheaper and better loads :)

If you have a mate also interested you could go halves in a kit and buy your own dies and components. If one loses interest later u can always buy them out.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Oct 2015, 7:25 pm

brett1868 wrote:Like anything, without pictures it's all B.S so here's my Dillon XL650 all pimped out with case feeder and Hornady bullet feeder. Should be able to churn out 500-600 rounds and hour which will save me a heap of time. Currently I have toolheads for 9mm & 38Super but will get another 3-4 setup for 38/357, 44mag, 45ACP and .223 I'm heading to the U.S in a couple weeks for some R & R with the family and to do a few training courses so I'll see what parts I can buy there :)

IMG_1646.JPG

What a great set up!
You sure don't do things by half's Brett.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition