Non Toxic (NT) primed cases and reloading them

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Non Toxic (NT) primed cases and reloading them

Post by Homer » 30 Oct 2015, 3:44 pm

G'Day Fella's,

I recently purchased a heap (x 3000ish) of once fired 9mm Luger/9 x 19mm cases.
When I got them back to the Funshop, I realised they were a mixed bunch of cases, not only different brands bur different batches (of Federal Cartridge/FC).
If you look at the primer flash holes, you can see that the left hand side two FC Non Toxic (NT) have large flash holes, the middle two FC NT have normal size flash holes, the same size as the two standard Toxic Winchester cases on the right!
DSCN1201.JPG
DSCN1201.JPG (968.78 KiB) Viewed 3534 times

DSCN1196.JPG
DSCN1196.JPG (554.66 KiB) Viewed 3534 times

From what I've read on this, because the primer Flash Hole is so much larger, it is recommended that you reduce your normal powder charge by some amount, to stop a large Pressure Spike from happening!
But then, I've spoken to some people, that have had no problems when using these cases.......................... but I don't know anything about what their normal powder charge is so???

Also, many of these NT cases, have their primers Crimped in place!
So to ease seating new primers, I De-Crimped them all.
Here is an image of Before and After.
DSCN1208.JPG
DSCN1208.JPG (673.51 KiB) Viewed 3534 times

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Non Toxic (NT) primed cases and reloading them

Post by Ed9362 » 31 Oct 2015, 10:25 am

By toxic are you referring to Mercury fulminate primers? I'm just curious because I have never heard of toxic and non toxic ammo
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 31 Oct 2015, 10:34 am

Could be the low lead/indoor safe ammo, that has a large primer, with enlarged flash hole, the NT bullet is light and the NT "green" primer isn't quite hot enough (internet lore, I'm assuming it's true, it makes sense), so they have opened the flash hole. The larger flash hole makes the crimp necessary to prevent primer blow back.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Homer » 31 Oct 2015, 6:04 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Ed9362, no I was referring to Lead Styphnate!
The NT primers, use a different priming compound, to this.

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Prettybird » 02 Nov 2015, 8:27 am

Larger flash hole would (arguably) change the accuracy/POI by affecting how the powder burns but I'm not seeing why it would necessitate reducing your powder load.

You're still igniting the same amount of powder as is supposedly safe with the smaller flash hole. There might be a change in curve of pressure but I don't see how it could push it so high to dangerous levels?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Where were you getting the info that reducing the load was required?
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 02 Nov 2015, 5:33 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Basically Prettybird, the powder is being ignited faster, via the lager flash hole!
If another NT primer was used (with an appropriate powder type and charge for this primer), all would be OK.
But we are mixing things around and doing things that were never envisaged for these cases.

FYI, the primer flash hole, is like a restrictor or choke device to regulate the flow of the primer brisiance (sparks), into the powder chamber!
And similar to enlarging the Fuel Jet in an Internal Combustion Engine, this allows more "Go-Fast" into the system! Excuse my crude analogy on this but.......

So basically, the cases were cheap but they come with an additional need for Caution, when reloading them, hence this thread!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Prettybird » 04 Nov 2015, 9:09 am

Yeah mate I understand the issue...... Igniting it all at the same time would be like a detonation, rather than lighting the bottom and having it burn up the column like a propulsion.

I agree there would be some change, I was just saying for the amount of powder we're talking about in these pistol cartridge and how much larger the hole is in the cases you've provided I wouldn't have thought it would make that much of a difference as to make things dangerous.

In any case, just personal thoughts here.
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Homer » 04 Nov 2015, 9:36 am

G'Day Fella's,

No probs Prettybird!
I just work on the old Physics theory of, "For each and every Action, there is an equal and opposite Reaction"!!!
With reloading (and no shortage of other things in life), I like to play it safe and Challenge all Assumptions!

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Wobble » 13 Nov 2015, 8:56 am

It's a very technical (and long) read but if you guys are interested in a more scientific look at it and not just opinions give this a read.

The effects of physical flash hole deviations on factory-grade rifle ammunition

Not light reading, but informative.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by chacka » 17 Nov 2015, 9:37 am

Homer wrote:I just work on the old Physics theory of, "For each and every Action, there is an equal and opposite Reaction"!!!
With reloading (and no shortage of other things in life), I like to play it safe and Challenge all Assumptions!

Trying not to send your fingers in equal and opposite directions? :sarcasm: :lol:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Seik » 18 Nov 2015, 9:04 am

I do believe that's rule 1 in the safety booklet.
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Homer » 24 Nov 2015, 5:46 pm

chacka wrote:
Homer wrote:I just work on the old Physics theory of, "For each and every Action, there is an equal and opposite Reaction"!!!

Trying not to send your fingers in equal and opposite directions? :sarcasm: :lol:

G'Day Fella's,

Thats it chacka!

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by ebr love » 26 Nov 2015, 12:08 pm

Seik wrote:I do believe that's rule 1 in the safety booklet.

And I think #2 is plugging a barrel with your finger doesn't work like in the cartoons :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition