What is PPU brass quality like?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

What is PPU brass quality like?

Post by andym79 » 01 Nov 2015, 5:38 am

PPU what is the quality like?

I have only used Remington, Winchester and S&B. The S&B brass does seem to have sloppy primer pockets, but is thicker brass than the Remington stuff.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Brass?

Post by Homer » 01 Nov 2015, 6:08 am

G'Day Fella's,

Andy, apart from my workin rifles (.223 & .308 see attached) where I use mainly Winchester and also Lapua, these days I use Lapua, Sako and Norma brass when ever I can!

Lapua is one of the best (just look at the price of it!!!) but they don't make a lot of the cartridges that I use, so thats where Sako and Norma fill these gaps.

Sako in particular and Norma are also exceeding good quality (and also, Not Cheap), and I'd be happy use these brands for everything!!!

ppu-brass.JPG
ppu-brass.JPG (108.83 KiB) Viewed 12550 times

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Nov 2015, 8:03 am

Andy, let me try and provide an answer that is in the least bit relevant to your question;

Yes, PPU is good quality brass, I've used it in several magnum chamberings and it stands up well to reloading....
It used to be sold here branded as highland ammo (you might find old stock hanging around), also as new unprimed brass. Head stamps may be either PPU or ППУ which is the same in Cyrillic letters... it's now (as you'd be aware) sold in our market as PPU brand, usually a lot cheaper price than the other which is NO reason to avoid it...

:thumbsup:
Last edited by Aster on 05 Nov 2015, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: RE: PM discussion.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by tom604 » 01 Nov 2015, 11:12 am

andym why ppu? not that it matters just nosy :oops: most people just buy factory and reuse the empty's,for hunting anyway, target you want all the same brass, all brass is not the same quality but if your not target shooting it wont make that much difference. jmho :thumbsup:

nice pic homer,shiny brass-stainless pins? i would now put that duff can in every pic you post,,, just because :lol: :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Homer » 01 Nov 2015, 4:37 pm

G'Day Fella's,

Tom 604, nah mate just one of a few buckets of Once Fired, Winchester .308 cases!
Thanks for the tip on the Duff Can LOL, I'll see what I can do about that!!!

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Chronos » 01 Nov 2015, 5:01 pm

PPU has at times had a better reputation for quality better than some other brands like Remington and Winchester.

Of course euro stuff like Lapua, Norma and Sako (made by Norma I believe ???) are very good but if you're shooting PPU factory ammo feel confident you can reload it many times with good results.

Chronos

PS: Homer, I love the Duff can, I too challenge you to sneak it into every photo from now on :drinks:
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Farmjer » 02 Nov 2015, 9:39 am

Chronos wrote:PPU has at times had a better reputation for quality better than some other brands like Remington and Winchester.

But not currently are you saying?
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 02 Nov 2015, 11:26 am

Farmjer wrote:
Chronos wrote:PPU has at times had a better reputation for quality better than some other brands like Remington and Winchester.

But not currently are you saying?

Not really, just saying I've found the quality of American made brass a bit hit and miss at times. I used to load .223 and .308 PPU brass without issue. Since moved mostly to Lapua but you pay for consistency. I'm about to try some Norma in 6XC.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 02 Nov 2015, 12:50 pm

I use the PPU brass for my 8x56R just cos they seem to be the only people who make it. Seems to be good, I've only reloaded it a couple times though
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 04 Nov 2015, 8:50 am

Chronos wrote:Since moved mostly to Lapua but you pay for consistency.

Indeed, about $1 a case last time I was at my local.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by tony m » 04 Nov 2015, 10:37 pm

I now use hornady brass with good success.It is not priced as high as others and find it consistant and seems to stand up.
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Vati » 12 Nov 2015, 9:35 am

What cartridge are you reloading Tony?
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 15 Nov 2015, 7:49 am

I've gone right off Winchester brass. The last lot of 243 had many that I had to full length size which I've never had to do before, on any brass. Also the primer pockets were sloppy. I'm liking Hornady brass at the moment, a bit dearer but obviously you only get what you pay for. I have S&B brass for my 9.3x62 and found the primer pockets a bit tight so I ran a uniformer into those. Some Norma brass I also use in the 9.3 had to be annealed before they would handle neck sizing. My 270W is running all Winnie brass at the moment and so far no problems there, same with my 222.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: What is PPU brass quality like?

Post by VICHunter » 18 Nov 2015, 11:22 am

headspace wrote:I have S&B brass for my 9.3x62 and found the primer pockets a bit tight so I ran a uniformer into those.

Worth doing the pockets anyway if your a bit more serious about your reloading so too tight isn't a bit issue. Better than them being loose and there be nothing you can do about it. I've had to chuck a few lately because of that.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 19 Nov 2015, 9:21 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by lole » 19 Nov 2015, 12:20 pm

Not about brass quality specifically here but check out this thread as a sign of other quality issues from PPU.

Not inspiring...

PPU and 7.5x55 Swiss
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Nov 2015, 12:26 pm

:D Yep, I bought a box of PPU and Highland factory ammo to bed in the Tikka .243Win and no complaints. It's been reloaded a couple of times now and no problems. Works for me. :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Nov 2015, 5:09 pm

I think I'm still running some PPU brass for 20 or 30yrs ago (222) seems ok to me (I don't bench rest or any of that crap) I just stuff em and shoot ferals with em so pretty much anything is good enough for that :lol:

My mate bought some Norma or Hornady (can't remember which now) but he was not impressed at all, it took a ****** of work to get em up to his high standards from my understanding. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by VICHunter » 24 Nov 2015, 12:14 pm

Can't complaint with 30 years.

Any idea what you're up to in terms of actual shots?

Trims?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Nov 2015, 12:21 pm

VICHunter wrote:Can't complaint with 30 years.

Any idea what you're up to in terms of actual shots?

Trims?

I'd hate to know mate, I never keep count of how many times my brass has been reloaded, I just toss em out if the necks split or any other defects are apparent, I'd have to say at least 15 times min at a guess but that's what it is. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gregg » 26 Nov 2015, 9:46 am

Throwing out when they crack is fine enough, about 10x fired and reloaded seems to be the popular count if you're the type to toss them before they go so 15 would sound about right.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Nov 2015, 3:25 pm

Gregg wrote:Throwing out when they crack is fine enough, about 10x fired and reloaded seems to be the popular count if you're the type to toss them before they go so 15 would sound about right.

Yeah I don't know mate, as I said just depends on how they are looking and if the pockets are loose etc, any obvious signs of wear and I just toss em out, not like they are rare or worth a heap hey :thumbsup: I reckon I'd be close to 10 reloads on the 22.250 brass (Win, Rem, Fed etc) they still look pretty bloody good to be honest and I don't think I've had to throw bugger of them out (other than ones I destroyed when the dies weren't set up correctly) :lol:

I've already had to throw a few 204 Rem cases out (split necks happening) I do load those over max by about a grain or so, so that may be part of it I don't know but end of the day they are consumables and when they wear out they wear out and I replace em (got about another 800 new brass sitting there for the 204, 2 or 300 for the 222 and about the same for the 22.250 and also got heaps of brass for the 223 too so don't think I will be running out in this lifetime some how :lol:

I only hunt these days so brass lasts you a bloody long long time which is good.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Releb » 30 Nov 2015, 10:50 am

10 seems more like peace of mind more than anything else to me.

Nothing wrong with playing it safe, I'm not telling anyone to push the envelope for the sake of saving a few cents obviously.

You do see serious comp guys with precise annealing equipment and brass prep routines that get 40+ reloads out of a case though.
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition