What is PPU brass quality like?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: What is PPU brass quality like?

Post by VICHunter » 24 Nov 2015, 12:14 pm

Can't complaint with 30 years.

Any idea what you're up to in terms of actual shots?

Trims?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Nov 2015, 12:21 pm

VICHunter wrote:Can't complaint with 30 years.

Any idea what you're up to in terms of actual shots?

Trims?

I'd hate to know mate, I never keep count of how many times my brass has been reloaded, I just toss em out if the necks split or any other defects are apparent, I'd have to say at least 15 times min at a guess but that's what it is. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gregg » 26 Nov 2015, 9:46 am

Throwing out when they crack is fine enough, about 10x fired and reloaded seems to be the popular count if you're the type to toss them before they go so 15 would sound about right.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Nov 2015, 3:25 pm

Gregg wrote:Throwing out when they crack is fine enough, about 10x fired and reloaded seems to be the popular count if you're the type to toss them before they go so 15 would sound about right.

Yeah I don't know mate, as I said just depends on how they are looking and if the pockets are loose etc, any obvious signs of wear and I just toss em out, not like they are rare or worth a heap hey :thumbsup: I reckon I'd be close to 10 reloads on the 22.250 brass (Win, Rem, Fed etc) they still look pretty bloody good to be honest and I don't think I've had to throw bugger of them out (other than ones I destroyed when the dies weren't set up correctly) :lol:

I've already had to throw a few 204 Rem cases out (split necks happening) I do load those over max by about a grain or so, so that may be part of it I don't know but end of the day they are consumables and when they wear out they wear out and I replace em (got about another 800 new brass sitting there for the 204, 2 or 300 for the 222 and about the same for the 22.250 and also got heaps of brass for the 223 too so don't think I will be running out in this lifetime some how :lol:

I only hunt these days so brass lasts you a bloody long long time which is good.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Releb » 30 Nov 2015, 10:50 am

10 seems more like peace of mind more than anything else to me.

Nothing wrong with playing it safe, I'm not telling anyone to push the envelope for the sake of saving a few cents obviously.

You do see serious comp guys with precise annealing equipment and brass prep routines that get 40+ reloads out of a case though.
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition