ADI Powder Equivalents

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

ADI Powder Equivalents

Post by brett1868 » 24 Nov 2015, 9:51 pm

A bit of a heads up for the new re-loaders when substituting ADI powders for U.S / European brands..

I'm working up a load for some BTHP projectiles I recently acquired for the .416 Barrett and came across a bit of a eye opener in the ADI data. I use AR2218 for the heavy rifles such as the 50's and .416's and according to the ADI site http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/equivalents.asp AR2218 is roughly the same as H50BMG and 20N29. If we look at the table below there is a substantial difference in loads for 2950fps between the H50BMG and 20N29. Since ADI state that the table is an approximate only and within %5 it's worth keeping this in mind when developing loads particularly with large charges and to start light and work up. I've heard that ADI actually supply AR2218 to Hodgdon who market it as H50BMG but I haven't been able to confirm that.
I'll be starting with 170Gr of AR2218 and adjust up or down based on what the chronograph / groups reveal. Time for some goat hunting once I get this load sorted I think :)

And yes, I know BTHP Match are "Not Recommended" for hunting but they're better than brass VLD's :)

IMG_1981.PNG
IMG_1981.PNG (374.37 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: ADI Powder Equivalents

Post by sandgroperbill » 24 Nov 2015, 11:16 pm

Anything out of a .416 Barrett is suitable for hunting... Just don't count on being able to eat rabbits
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 25 Nov 2015, 9:23 am

ADI AR2218 is not roughly the same as H50BMG, it is exactly the same just renamed by Hodgdon.

Go to the Hodgdon main reloading page, under products and the MSDS Data you will see the manufacturer as ADI Thales Australia.. Differences between batch runs can be 3% which is the allowance maximum change otherwise the batch is rejected.

You can ask Hodgdon and/or ADI if you like and they will confirm.

The information on batches comes from a friend who used to be the Ballastician for ADI at Mulwala and his job was testing new powder batches. You find out lots of data when you spend a couple of days shooting with him and all about how these powders are made and from what imported raw materials.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 25 Nov 2015, 11:19 am

Thanks old fella :) I generally follow the H50BMG loads anyway but good to have it confirmed. I was more curious about the big difference between the H50BMG and 20N29 when ADI say that 2218 is equivalent to them. More like close but not quite equivalent to 20N29 and good reason to start low and work up to maximums. Pity I can't find any US869 cause I'd love to see what 450gr HP @ 3050fps from the muzzle would do to a bunny :)
Thinking I might try some AR2225 as well since it's close to Retumbo and I can use less for the same velocity.....fun times ahead me thinks :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 Nov 2015, 12:10 pm

Apollo, my understanding is that most ADI powders are identical to hodgdon, but there are a couple of exceptions? (apart from the obvious where ADI doesn't list a Hodgdon equivalent). I'm not 100% sure on this, and you seem to be the best person to ask on this.

On a side note, if I'm using a non-ADI manual or I'm cross referencing, I always use data for the hodgdon powders
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 25 Nov 2015, 12:41 pm

The Hodgdon MSDS Data is a list of all ADI Extruded Powders, all made by ADI and all are "Single Base Nitrocellulose Powders" meaning temperature stable within that term compared to Double Base Powders.

The Pistol Powders listed that ADI make are in general Double Base and not temperature stable...like the Winchester Powders.

One exception I know that is a powder made by ADI and not listed as a Hodgdon is IMR 8208XBR which again is not made by IMR, it's made by ADI as Benchmark 8208 a single base powder. There may be one or so others but all the data is listed in the MSDS Data Sheets, including the name of the manufacturer and which country it's made.

One thing for certain, Hodgdon do not manufacture any powder what so ever. They are just an importer / distributor.

I've had many a discussion with my friend from ADI and a lot of that was exactly how smokeless powder is made and the big point was the exact type of wood pulp they inport from Europe to enable this.

Also, if I didn't mention it is that Hodgdon do all of the load testing for ADI to print in their Reloading Manual but on the Hodgdon Site you will find data for a number of powders they distribute, the ADI Manual only lists the ADI powders.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by newsteadvic » 25 Nov 2015, 9:12 pm

brett1868 wrote:I was more curious about the big difference between the H50BMG and 20N29 when ADI say that 2218 is equivalent to them.

20N29 is likely to be a double base powder compared to the ADI single base powders.

Edit: no it is just a single base according to Nioa website.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 25 Nov 2015, 10:09 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Apollo » 25 Nov 2015, 10:14 pm

Yes, 20N29 is a Single Base Powder. Same as N133 which is very popular with short range Benchrest using 6mm PPC's. The big pity is no more VV Powders since NIOA dropped the imports.

VV make both single and double base powders. Typically the double base are numbers like N500 Series.

It's all in the MSDS Data.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 25 Nov 2015, 10:24 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 15 Feb 2017, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Korkt » 26 Nov 2015, 10:23 am

brett1868 wrote:And yes, I know BTHP Match are "Not Recommended" for hunting but they're better than brass VLD's :)

sandgroperbill wrote:Anything out of a .416 Barrett is suitable for hunting... Just don't count on being able to eat rabbits

I was going to say the same thing.

170gr powder behind a 450gr bullet will drop anything.

Even if the weight retention of the HPBT was awful and only say 30% of the bullet was left it'd still be like getting hit with a fresh .308 at point blank.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition