Removing primer pocket crimp

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Removing primer pocket crimp

Post by juststarting » 30 Nov 2015, 7:56 pm

Hi All

I have roughly 100 Hornaday cases that seems to have a crimp in the primer pocket. At first I thought, hrmm, I don't think it's a crimp (never actually seeing one before) - this is when I learned that removing a live primer is indeed possible, albeit a little stressful.

Anyhow, since I've never removed crimps before, what should I go with? I've been reading (AKA watching YouTube) about swager die which seems a bit easier to use than a pocket reamer tool. All in all though, clueless.

Anyone wishing to offer an opinion on what and how is definitely welcome.

Thanks
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Removing primer pocket crimp

Post by Baldrick314 » 30 Nov 2015, 9:05 pm

I just use the case mouth deburring tool to do mine. You know the little torpedo looking one? The pointy end of that does a good job, just try not to overdo it. A couple light turns will work
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 30 Nov 2015, 9:50 pm

Baldrick314, will try.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 30 Nov 2015, 9:54 pm

What leads you to think it's crimped? The only Hornady ammo I'm aware of that has crimped primers is their 750Gr AMAX 50BMG because they supply that to the U.S military for sniper operations. Possibly they crimp others I'm not aware of, a pic of the primer pocket would be nice. Is there a ring around the brass about .5mm from the primer edge or divots at regular intervals? What caliber? The swage tool is great if you're doing a lot of rounds but as Baldrick says, a few light turns of the neck deburer should do the trick as well. I have one of the RCBS tools below which should work fine. Just don't over do it. For the 50 brass I use a purpose built tool and a cordless drill to remove the crimp, pain in the ass and very time consuming.

How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 01 Dec 2015, 1:46 am

I think a photo might be required....???

Like Brett, I have never heard of or seen any Hornady Case that has a crimped primer. I'll have to look at my .204R Cases being the only Hornady cases I own. I would think that .223R & .308W would be the only one's since they are the military calibres.

Federal yes, those that make ammo for military & crimp primers but Hornady are not one of those as far as I have ever seen.

Anyhow, it's easy to remove the burr from a crimped primer by any means. Drill bit, swager, neck tool as mentioned etc.

Boy, aren't you having fun learning about reloading. Another 20 years down the track and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.....!!
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 01 Dec 2015, 10:45 am

Baldrick314 wrote:I just use the case mouth deburring tool to do mine. You know the little torpedo looking one? The pointy end of that does a good job, just try not to overdo it. A couple light turns will work

Or a primer pocket uniformer is $40 and you can't over do it with one of those.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 01 Dec 2015, 11:47 am

Herdsman wrote:Or a primer pocket uniformer is $40 and you can't over do it with one of those.

I thought primer pocket uniformers just flattened the floor of the pocket?
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by lole » 08 Dec 2015, 1:33 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:I thought primer pocket uniformers just flattened the floor of the pocket?

I don't use one myself but thought that, being the correct width the pocket should be, if it's got a slight crimp the uniformer would take it off on the way into the pocket.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 12 Dec 2015, 11:42 pm

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 13 Dec 2015, 12:50 am

Baldrick314 wrote:
Herdsman wrote:Or a primer pocket uniformer is $40 and you can't over do it with one of those.

I thought primer pocket uniformers just flattened the floor of the pocket?

Correct..there are 2 tools involved with primer pockets, with each having a different function.

Primer Pocket Uniformer as the name suggests cuts the primer pocket to a uniform depth and squares it to the shell base but it doesn't chamfer the edge. You'd be surprised just how out of square some pockets can be. The idea behind this is to provide a uniform flash into the charge to improve burn consistency.

The crimp can be removed in either of 2 ways, by swaging or by a tool similar to the uniformer. Essentially it cuts a slight chamfer which removes the crimp and allows easier seating of the primer. The neck deburrer just happens to do almost the exact same thing.

The swager is recommended of you're doing a lot of this type of thing due to the speed cases can be processed. Brass is malleable and can be pressed to the right shape with a little pressure which is why the tool is a press of sorts.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 13 Dec 2015, 9:10 am

juststarting wrote:Hi All

I have roughly 100 Hornaday cases that seems to have a crimp in the primer pocket. At first I thought, hrmm, I don't think it's a crimp (never actually seeing one before) - this is when I learned that removing a live primer is indeed possible, albeit a little stressful.

Anyhow, since I've never removed crimps before, what should I go with? I've been reading (AKA watching YouTube) about swager die which seems a bit easier to use than a pocket reamer tool. All in all though, clueless.

Thanks

As others have said there are two tools for primer pockets, uniform tools and crimp removing tools. The deburring tool works and I have used a variety of gear over the years. One that is bolted to the bench at the moment is the Lyman brass prep set. It is very effective on crimps, you can not over do it, takes only a little room on the bench and is very well priced.
I do prefer the Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniform tool myself but the Lyman is a great option in one setup for the other tasks.
Hornady did crimp primers on the 17 hornet loaded factory ammo (yes I have some) but that is the only calibre that I know of that they do it for. They were having a few dramas with primers and the brass so they decided to crimp them. I have some new brass from them since then and it fine. They picked their game up since then.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 13 Dec 2015, 9:13 am

juststarting wrote:Hi All

Thanks

As others have said there are two tools for primer pockets, uniform tools and crimp removing tools. The deburring tool works and I have used a variety of gear over the years. One that is bolted to the bench at the moment is the Lyman brass prep set. It is very effective on crimps, you can not over do it, takes only a little room on the bench and is very well priced.
I do prefer the Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniform tool myself but the Lyman is a great option in one setup for the other tasks.
Hornady did crimp primers on the 17 hornet loaded factory ammo (yes I have some) but that is the only calibre that I know of that they do it for. They were having a few dramas with primers and the brass so they decided to crimp them. I have some new brass from them since then and it fine. They picked their game up since then.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by juststarting » 13 Dec 2015, 9:46 am

Thanks for the tips. I posted an update to my crimping adventure, above. Mentioned that I did buy a swager die and that I am reasonably sure that Hornady 308 brass is crimped (at least the a-max and white tale cartridges).
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 16 Dec 2015, 2:08 pm

Bills Shed wrote:Hornady did crimp primers on the 17 hornet loaded factory ammo (yes I have some) but that is the only calibre that I know of that they do it for.

I wonder why they bothered for the 17HMR :unknown:
Last edited by Wobble on 04 Jan 2016, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 16 Dec 2015, 2:26 pm

17HMR is a Rimfire....

Think you might perhaps mean Hornet... Not to worry...
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 04 Jan 2016, 10:10 am

Apollo wrote:17HMR is a Rimfire....

Think you might perhaps mean Hornet... Not to worry...

Yes sorry... brainfart/auto pilot response.

I meant Hornet but typed HMR as it's the .17 that's being spoken about 99% of the time.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition