Cost of reloaded ammunition/round

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Cost of reloaded ammunition/round

Post by juststarting » 20 Dec 2015, 10:26 pm

Decided to quickly write some planned cost of reloading posts, while this thread is fresh in my mind.
http://myshootingjourney.com/2015/12/20 ... -part-1-2/
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 21 Dec 2015, 7:59 am

My .308 Win handloads using 180gn sierra pro hunter projectiles, AR2206H powder, ADI brass and remington primers work out to be 78 cents per shot, which equates to $15.60 per box of 20. That's a big saving when you consider the cost of premium .308 ammo.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by StevenB » 01 Jan 2016, 10:28 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:You need to include cost of reloading equipment too. As mentioned. If your reloading in the hundreds your not going to get scale of economy.

reloading equipment cost shouldn't really come in to it. Unless you are going to work of the depreciation of the gear.
StevenB
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 02 Jan 2016, 5:24 am

StevenB wrote:
southeast varmiter wrote:You need to include cost of reloading equipment too. As mentioned. If your reloading in the hundreds your not going to get scale of economy.

reloading equipment cost shouldn't really come in to it. Unless you are going to work of the depreciation of the gear.

Yeah despite the initial outlay a $200 press is capable of loading tens of thousands of rounds. Even then you could sell it for $100. Cost per round is not worth factoring in and the same could be said for dies, scales etc.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jan 2016, 5:40 am

I never worry about the cost of the reloading gear, that's something you'll have for a lifetime and trust me once you start reloading you won't be going back to factory ammo anytime soon and more than likely you'll have many more cals that need reloading for over the years anyway so to me it's a worthwhile investment regardless of cost.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Xerox » 04 Jan 2016, 2:54 pm

Chronos wrote:I ordered a huge amount of 162gr Vmax at a very good price, it's what you have to do to keep costs down but it kills you when you run out and go to buy again only to find prices have doubled.

The joys of inflation.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jan 2016, 8:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I never worry about the cost of the reloading gear, that's something you'll have for a lifetime and trust me once you start reloading you won't be going back to factory ammo anytime soon and more than likely you'll have many more cals that need reloading for over the years anyway so to me it's a worthwhile investment regardless of cost.

Provided the cost is sensible (that's the tight arse in me) I agree whole heartedly.
I started out with a second hand lee loader for the 12 g about 35 yrs ago and only did it to save a few dollars. About 2 yrs later I didn't know what factory ammo was. The only factory I buy now is for the 22lr and if I need cases\brass. ( and that's rare at the rate I shoot it off) 12g is no longer worth it but still do it because I have heaps of components in stock that will last yrs.

I would never go back to factory.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Jan 2016, 8:32 pm

My father still has most of his reloading gear from over 50 years ago,nothing electronic in his reloading gear.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 04 Jan 2016, 9:19 pm

I am guilty of going into 21st century. I just purchased Lee quick trim power adapter, so I can attach the cutter to power screwdriver. I have hundreds of cases to trim, I decided that I am not going to crank that by hand; and shall holder spindle - to crimp a case into spindle and spindle into a drill (or again, power screwdriver) to give it a once over with steel wool, because you lot made me feel all dirty and now I want to be shiny. I also have a small jewellery scale, to verify charge between that and balance scale. Press if not going to change for few years methinks and have moral issues against case prep station, so more or less mechanical here. I'd say more than less at this stage.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 08 Jan 2016, 10:18 am

Baronvonrort wrote:My father still has most of his reloading gear from over 50 years ago,nothing electronic in his reloading gear.

Electronics scales for easier/faster use are really the only thing that's changed that's worth mentioning.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 11 Jan 2016, 8:31 pm

Nice!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 11 Jan 2016, 10:12 pm

I don't save as much as I could, but I still save money over cheap ammo, but it's loaded with nosler bts, so the way I see it is I'm getting premium ammo cheaper than cheap factory stuff.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by AusC » 13 Jan 2016, 12:35 pm

That's what it's about for most guys, better ammo for a bit less cash.

Not about saving truckloads of it.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition