222 rem powder query

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

222 rem powder query

Post by Gunnywithblades » 15 Jan 2016, 8:09 pm

Hi all,
Brand new to the forum, I'm sure I'll get plenty from it, but first up I'm trying to help out a mate who's wanting to trial both AS30N & Trail Boss in his 222 rem reloads with 55g projectiles. He's looking for the fastest powder he can get, and the ADI charts have no grainage recommendation for that load using these powders. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Gunny.
Gunnywithblades
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: 222 rem powder query

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 Jan 2016, 6:14 pm

No data in ADI 6th, Nosler 7th or Lee 2nd
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Yelp » 18 Jan 2016, 9:59 am

Gunnywithblades wrote:He's looking for the fastest powder he can get, and the ADI charts have no grainage recommendation for that load using these powders. Any thoughts?

I have a thought... Why?

Does your mate understand the implication of different burning rates? Why does he want/need the fastest one possible? Or is he assuming 'faster is better'.

Trail Boss is a low velocity powder designed for different styles of cartridge to the .222, and AS30N is a shotgun powder.

I'm not being condescending or having a go at you or your mate, but I don't understand why as a new reloading he wouldn't use a better suited/commonly used powder for which there is already extensively tested and proven load data.

All the books provide half a dozen loads for the range of projectile weights with 2219, Benchmark, 2207, 2206H, 2208. Why wouldn't he cut his teeth with one of these?

:unknown:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 18 Jan 2016, 4:30 pm

I would second YELP's remarks. If you are doing radical load development, you should be expert enough not to be asking questions like this.

I am not in the same game as those on here who are propellant guru's so I stick to published data.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 20 Jan 2016, 2:12 pm

bentaz wrote:The OP doesn't say anything about being new to reloading

Missing word there I think?

No he doesn't, topic sounded that way to me is all.

Like I said not mocking anyone or having a go. I'm just asking the question.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 20 Jan 2016, 7:32 pm

My question is this; why bother? 2207 has been the best performing powder in the 222 rem for a long time. I don't use heavier bullets than 50gn in mine because the cartridge likes them and I don't use it past 200m. I'll use plenty of 40gn bullets as well though.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Jan 2016, 9:30 pm

Gunnywithblades wrote:Hi all,
Brand new to the forum, I'm sure I'll get plenty from it, but first up I'm trying to help out a mate who's wanting to trial both AS30N & Trail Boss in his 222 rem reloads with 55g projectiles. He's looking for the fastest powder he can get, and the ADI charts have no grainage recommendation for that load using these powders. Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Gunny.

The reason they are not listed is because neither powder is recommended for use in a .222R Cartridge.

Your mate and perhaps yourself may want to think a little better and perhaps do some research before one of you create a dangerous situation. The idea of looking for the fastest powder is completely wrong, it just doesn't work that way unless you want to blow yourself up.

Go and study the ADI Data and look at the powders suggested. If you want accuracy then look at those listed in the middle velocity section.

If you look at the data (ADI) you will see "Pressure Ratings"... If you use the wrong powder (fast) and exceed those ratings for your cartridge case / chamber then you are looking at a potentially dangerous situation.

Fast velocities do not mean accuracy.
Last edited by Apollo on 20 Jan 2016, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 20 Jan 2016, 9:42 pm

BTW....

The best, most reliable and most accurate powder used with a .222R with bullets around 50gr which are the ideal weight is/was ADI AR2206 which is no longer in production. Has been used for many, many years and luckily I still have several Kg of it so I'm set for many years to come.

The powders one should look at for the .222R are these days BenchMark 2, Bench Mark 8208 and maybe AR2206H.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 21 Jan 2016, 8:23 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 16 Feb 2017, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Apollo » 21 Jan 2016, 8:35 am

Sub Sonic loads do not work with all calibres. If this is the case then it is suggested that ADI be contacted for their own suggestions and warnings.

Reduced loads can be rather dangerous if not done properly. I would suggest professional help before proceeding.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Manimal » 29 Jan 2016, 3:14 pm

Apollo wrote:The powders one should look at for the .222R are these days BenchMark 2, Bench Mark 8208 and maybe AR2206H.

I would have thought 2206H would be the obvious choice as that was 2206's replacement?
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition