Removing live primers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Removing live primers

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jan 2016, 12:59 pm

Hi All,

I have some ammo that I need to remove the primers from. I use to reload along time ago and I have since given my press away and I no longer have access to one. Is there any tool out there, handheld or otherwise, that can remove a primer from a case?

Thanks,
Member-Deleted

Re: Removing live primers

Post by brett1868 » 16 Jan 2016, 6:14 pm

Easiest way to render the primer safe is to fire the empty primed case in the rifle, give the barrel a good oiling first then patch clean again before re-oiling / storing. Once the primer is inert a pin punch can be used to remove it but since you're not reloading I'm assuming you're just looking to render the case safe to either dispose or store.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by newsteadvic » 16 Jan 2016, 8:34 pm

As Brett says above, firing them is easy, into a bucket lined with blankets if noise is an issue.
I use the de-primer rod from a Lee Loader kit if I don't have the correct dies.

What calibre? A nail driven into a dowel and head filed off May work well enough for a few cases.

Where are you geographically? Some one should be able to help.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 17 Jan 2016, 1:06 am

If you are worried about the primers the material in them is water soluble drop the cases in water for a week if you can in a bucket if not look for something like this
http://www.shilohrifle.com/shop/product ... oductid=31
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 17 Jan 2016, 6:50 am

Primers are sealed with a "foil", a piece of waxed paper so adding water, WD40 or any other trick won't deactivate them. Either buy ir borrow a universal decapping tool or have a friend remove the primers for you just tenember to wear your safety glasses

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Jan 2016, 9:36 am

post 1

Can someone clarify if a licence is required to buy lead projectiles. I had a look at the Firearms Amendment act 2012 and it says individual components are not classed as ammunition.

post 2

I have some ammo that I need to remove the primers from. I use to reload along time ago and I have since given my press away and I no longer have access to one. Is there any tool out there, handheld or otherwise, that can remove a primer from a case?

Analysis:

-This dude does not have a firearms licence.
-This dude wants to reload ammo.
-This dude claims to have previously reloaded (to allay any concerns within the readership that he/she was up to no-good perhaps)
-A reloaded would not need to seek direction into how to remove primers.
-You would only need to remove the primer to replace a new primer, if reloading for dummy rounds - a spent primer would not necessarily be removed.
-Until otherwise proven, my bat sense are screaming out nefarious...

or alternatively, give someone the benefit of the doubt.....which I stopped doing a long time ago - guilty until proven innocent
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2016, 11:34 am

Thanks for your concern mate. I current hold a NSW Licence with Cat. A,B &H.

My first question to the forum was a simple query. Nothing sinister and no alterer motive involved.

I am asking the above as I have some rounds I reloaded a long time ago, with my old Lee 1000, that I am no longer comfortable shooting as they have been sitting for quite some time. I no longer have my press and none of my shooting friends reload. I was seeking some ideas about how to remove the primers from the cases as I have already used a bullet puller hammer to break down the bullet itself.

So thanks so much for the accusations that I am doing illegal things. What a wonderful forum member you are.

Thank you to all who have provided some actual answers, I will look into all your suggestion.
Member-Deleted

Post by sbd3927 » 17 Jan 2016, 5:50 pm

Still begs the question, why? Are you going to reload them in future? -let them sit.
If you want to dispose of them safely, take the 5 second option and drop them at a police station :)
Put a note at local gun shop, primed rounds free to good home -pickup only, or post here.
If you are breaking the rounds down to sell the brass and projectiles, since you can't ship live ammo, again posting the details would be a good start. Firing the primers and selling spent cases would work, assuming they've only loaded a few cycles.
Age of rounds doesn't seem to be an issue, there's still ww2 surplus being fired today.

The options seem limitless, the question is still why?
Given the vague details you shouldn't be surprised when people assume nefarious motives. Are they some top secret classified wildcat round?
Eg. Hey guys, I've 500+ 303 rounds I reloaded years ago and I want to dispose of them since I'm not confident they are safe to fire/the brass has as little corrosion/were hot loads) I've no access to reloading gear anymore. Any suggestions?
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 17 Jan 2016, 6:52 pm

Maybe he wants to sell the brass but can't post live primers, bloody hell some people are worse than the NSW government :wtf:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jan 2016, 7:23 pm

sbd3927 wrote:Still begs the question, why?
If you are breaking the rounds down to sell the brass and projectiles, since you can't ship live ammo, again posting the details would be a good start.

Hi Mate, I see where you are coming from with the vague information and I 100% should have put more info into the initial post. I will not be reloading again any time soon so I'm clearing out my old inventory which includes brass and projectiles. I though this would be a good opportunity to finally get rid of these loads I was not planning on shooting.

Anyway, I have been looking at one of these. Seems like it will do the job.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220617 ... rimer-tool
Member-Deleted

Post by brett1868 » 17 Jan 2016, 8:31 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
If you are breaking the rounds down to sell the brass and projectiles, since you can't ship live ammo, again posting the details would be a good start.

Hi Mate, I see where you are coming from with the vague information and I 100% should have put more info into the initial post. I will not be reloading again any time soon so I'm clearing out my old inventory which includes brass and projectiles. I though this would be a good opportunity to finally get rid of these loads I was not planning on shooting.

Where you located in NSW? I have that exact tool so can possibly meet up somewhere and run the cases through it. Nothing wrong with selling used brass with spent primers so maybe not worth the expense / effort. Postage on that tool to Aus will be prohibitive, I bought mine during a recent US business trip.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jan 2016, 8:43 pm

I reckon the ammo would be fine to shoot anyway mate, I've had some rounds 20-30yrs old and they shot fine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jan 2016, 9:07 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I reckon the ammo would be fine to shoot anyway mate, I've had some rounds 20-30yrs old and they shot fine.

I agree, provided tbey were safe at the time. Ammo lasts for many years.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Jan 2016, 9:16 pm

- put safety glasses on
- put hearing protection on
- put case in universal decapping die
- make sure nobody is around to get startled by a loud noise should detonation occur
- slowly, slowly crank the handle
- recover the primer

I did that once. Went fine. Never again!

Best to just shoot them like the rest suggested. I had a few, just had them sitting with ammo until I went to the range... That was that.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Jan 2016, 9:11 am

Member-Deleted wrote:

Sorry old mate, you're story is evolving somewhat and you havent clarified... you want to know whether a licence is required to source bullets, yet do don't want to reload... :unknown: A shooter doesnt 'clean out the inventory' because theyre not planning on reloading 'soon'... they put the gear in a box at the back of the shelf where they can find them later... when theyre ready.

You can store brass with a live primer, theyre quite safe. You can also dispose of them like that or sell them...

Maybe you're even fully legit....and dont really know what you want to do/what you're doing...
What rounds are they? Maybe someone here will take them off your hands, alleviate you of your concerns :roll: Maybe when you meet up with Brett to de-prime them for you (very kind offer from a fellow member :thumbsup: ) If theyre rounds he shoots - he'll take them off your hands :drinks:

Anyway, all the best with your endeavors DW, I've expended too many neurons as it is on this goose hunt :friends:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by south » 21 Jan 2016, 8:31 am

Oldbloke wrote:I agree, provided tbey were safe at the time. Ammo lasts for many years.

Just a bit of info here from ADI for the noobs like myself ;)

Keep in a cool dry place separate from solvents, flammable gases and other combustible materials. Ensure that the storage area selected is free from any possible source of excess heat and is isolated from open flame, hot water heaters, furnaces, chimneys, flue pipes, etc. Avoid storing smokeless powders in areas, which may be heated by the sun or where electrical, electronic or mechanical equipment is operated. Do not allow containers of powder to contact walls of storage areas where the outside wall is exposed to sunlight or any other form of heating. Any such form of heating may result in spontaneous ignition, either immediately or at a later stage, due to accelerated chemical deterioration. An average storage temperature below 25ºC is recommended to obtain a safe shelf life of at least ten years from the date of packing. Increased storage temperature will reduce the safe shelf life significantly - by approximately one third for every 10℃ above 25℃.
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Jan 2016, 12:04 pm

MEMBER DELETED! - Another one bites the dust! Reminds me of a Queen Song :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 21 Jan 2016, 1:35 pm

daa daa da ..da.. da.. tshhhh
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Manimal » 29 Jan 2016, 3:07 pm

Places need a spring clean now and then ;)
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by philski » 09 Mar 2016, 3:11 am

HI all

i removed a couple of live primers last week in a standard full length die and wound the decapping pin down a few turns. glasses on, really slow and hid behind my chair as i raised the ram. Nothing went bang. thankfully. The pin was dropped to give some space between the brass and the die so the gasses could escape, in case it did fire. The last thing i wanted was a contained explosion.

if i do have to do it again, it will be with something like this.
https://youtu.be/FskNx4UBZvc
philski
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Norton » 09 Mar 2016, 9:49 am

philski wrote:hid behind my chair as i raised the ram. Nothing went bang. thankfully.

:lol:

Slow and steady and it should be fine :thumbsup:

That hydraulic remove is interesting though.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by headspace » 10 Mar 2016, 10:50 am

I've decapped plenty of live primers, and never had a bang. If you take it steady they usually pop out OK. Safety glasses are probably a good idea though.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 18 Apr 2016, 11:15 am

Ditto.

Always done it in the press with the sizing die, done a few different cartridges with Redding and RCBS dies and never an issue.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition