Verifying min/max loads for 308 (Nosler and Hornady)

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Verifying min/max loads for 308 (Nosler and Hornady)

Post by juststarting » 18 Jan 2016, 8:53 pm

Just wondering if someone could verify min and max loads for me, based on manufacturer's reference, for the following:

- Hornady Match 168gr BTHP #30501
Based on Hornady manual: Varget, min: 32.6gr, max: 44.0gr (41.7gr seems to be last recommended charge in the 'sane zone' after things are colour-coded red)

- Nosler Custom Competition 168gr HPBT #53168
Based on Nosler site: Varge, min: 42.0gr, max: 46.0gr (http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/308-winchester/)

Seems to be reasonably large jump between the two min loads for the two projectiles.

Will be doing some reloading over the next few days.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Verifying min/max loads for 308 (Nosler and Hornady)

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Jan 2016, 3:26 am

G'day juststarting,
Not trying to be pedantic here, but the use of correct terminology may help you understand a couple of things better. Firstly, you should not refer to them as minimum loads, rather they are starting loads as listed by those makers. The Hornady starting load is for 2100 fps using AR2208, or Varget as it's called in the US, and the Nosler starting load is for 2500fps, same as ADI's starting load, and Nick Harvey's, Speer's, etc. Another point, don't worry too much about the bullet makers loads, as for the powder makers recommendation for each bullet weight. Most bullet makers take their load data directly from the powder maker anyway. Also you will notice some differences in maximum loads listed from different sources for some powders, this is to avoid lawsuits if you blow up your rifle, as most load data manuals will err on the side of caution. This does NOT mean you can just exceed the listed maximum, but many of who target shoot do sometimes progressively work up a load that may exceed a listed maximum but in a custom made rifle, using great caution and many years experience. TREAT MAXIMUMS AS JUST THAT! Work towards them carefully, and ask questions always. No one ever blew up a rifle by asking questions, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Swarm » 21 Jan 2016, 2:43 pm

Variance in reloading data is common.

There isn't a universally adopted system for choosing starting and maximum loads, it's what each publisher feels is safe and is willing to take responsibility for.

Ultimately it's only a guide anyway, as the data is only one half of the equation and the rifle a cartridge is being fired in is an unknown to the publisher. One rifle could be a lot stronger than another and a load that is safe in one could show signs of problems or be dangerous in another (potentially, not trying to cause worry or being dramatic here).

As a very general rule you'll usually find data from manufacturers is on the more cautious side as they want anyone to be able to use their data and stick it in any rifle and have it be safe.

Reloader's like Nick Harvey often quote higher maximums as they're quoting closer to real demonstrated maximums they've personally found in testing, rather than a maximum with a large safety margin like manufacturers will opt for.

There is lots of debate on this, you'll need to decide what you're comfortable following.

Best advice regardless of what data you use is learn about pressure signs and other potential problems, that way whatever data you're using you can stay on top of things instead of just trusting in the numbers.

As far as data goes, personally I follow the reloading data of ADI as I use their powder and figure they're in the best position to advise how to safely use it, and faster isn't always better, if there is an accurate load within their data range there is no reason for me to find a higher than quoted maximum load that's equally accurate.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 08 Feb 2016, 12:02 pm

Do you have Nick Harvey's Relaoding Manual? It's a great read and goes into great detail about every different part of Reloading and has Min and Max loads for most conceivable bullet weights and types of powder. I do believe that he reccomends 42-46 min-max for 165-168gr projectiles. My accurate hunting load for my .308 is 165gr SST OVER 44.5gr of AR2208 using federal brass and primers
Edit: that shoots .3moa shooting prone off a bag.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 08 Feb 2016, 7:58 pm

@MalleeFarmer, thanks, all sorted though. For a couple of references. Nick Harvey's is well used. Read it pretty well before starting. Worked up my load, found 41gr to shoot well.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 08 Feb 2016, 8:41 pm

juststarting wrote:@MalleeFarmer, thanks, all sorted though. For a couple of references. Nick Harvey's is well used. Read it pretty well before starting. Worked up my load, found 41gr to shoot well.

No worries glad you've got it sorted! :drinks:
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wes » 15 Feb 2016, 10:39 am

Just something to remember on the Nick Harvey manuals, over the years some of his maximums have come down, so pays to have a recent version.

Good shooting.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MalleeFarmer » 15 Feb 2016, 9:13 pm

Wes wrote:Just something to remember on the Nick Harvey manuals, over the years some of his maximums have come down, so pays to have a recent version.

Good shooting.

True but if you start from a couple grains below max (recommended start load) and work up slow you should be fine sometimes a listed max load doesn't even show signs of excess pressure and can be loaded above the listed max just pay attention to the signs on the casings: flattened primer, cratering, ejector marks etc.
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wes » 17 Feb 2016, 10:39 am

I'm not saying Nicks information is bad, just saying it has been updated.

Something for people to be aware of it working up loads using his data is all I'm saying.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition