Case trimming equipment

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Case trimming equipment

Post by juststarting » 21 Jan 2016, 10:34 pm

Hi All

Just wondering what do people use for case trimming?

I have a Lee quick trim die and a cutter; also a cutter power adapter, but I am not sure I am a fan of it. So wondering what people use.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Case trimming equipment

Post by Gwion » 22 Jan 2016, 5:08 am

Started with the same. Now I have a Forster Originsl trimmer as well as a neck turning attachment.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 22 Jan 2016, 10:56 pm

Think I have 4 different case trimmers I've bought over the years with the current favourite being the RCBS Trim Pro 2. It has a lever that clamps the case head which makes the process so much faster then having to rotate a collet or clamp the cases by screwing the handle in. I have multiple 3-way cutting heads so it trims, chamfers and debur all in one action. I tend to trim cases in batches of 200-500 so anything that saves time and handling has to be good.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2016, 5:43 am

RCBS Trim Pro 2 here which I modified to use my cordless drill on to run it, super fast and efficient now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 23 Jan 2016, 5:57 am

Wilson Trimmer, fast and accurate but you still need to inside chamfer and outside deburr of the case mouth. It San also be used to square tha case head and the case holders are excellent for holding cases in the lathe for drilling and tapping to make fired case gushes for a Hornady OAL gauge

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by vmaxaust » 23 Jan 2016, 6:23 am

juststarting wrote:Hi All

Just wondering what do people use for case trimming?

I have a Lee quick trim die and a cutter; also a cutter power adapter, but I am not sure I am a fan of it. So wondering what people use.

The trimmers I use are...
http://www.lewilson.com/sstrimmer.html
Use this one for small batches or on the odd occasion I need to trim 9mm handgun brass. This is a deadly accurate trimmer and I also have their adapter to hook it up to a hand drill or similar power drive. I've never used it with the power setup.
Also have the Wilson case gauges, they are excellent. You can buy their products on Amazon. There may be an Australian distributor here as well but don't know for sure.

The trimmer I use for .223 rifle cases is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Xpiz14Oz8
This is the Frankford Arsenal electric trimmer. It's 110 volt but I bought a power transformer from Jaycar for about $50.00
You can see it here...
http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal ... B00HS7JEB4
This trimmer works great for doing larger quantities quickly and accurately.

I use only 2 calibres of centrefire cases, 9mm handgun and .223 rem rifle. Remember the Frankford trimmer cannot do straight cases so if that's important to you it may not be ideal. For me it's great since trimming 9mm brass does not happen often hence the universal L.E Wilson trimmer.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by zobster » 23 Jan 2016, 11:29 am

It depends on your budget. Personally, I'll be getting the Lee cutter & lock stud combined with the Lee case length gauge and shell holder. It may be a slow process but it does the job. Or you could get what the gear others before me have recommended. It really depends on application and budget.
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Noisydad » 23 Jan 2016, 11:42 am

A case trimming die and a file.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2016, 11:53 am

zobster wrote:It depends on your budget. Personally, I'll be getting the Lee cutter & lock stud combined with the Lee case length gauge and shell holder. It may be a slow process but it does the job. Or you could get what the gear others before me have recommended. It really depends on application and budget.

They can be made to work quickly if you set em up in a drill press (I used one of them for a long time before getting the RCBS Trim Pro 2 :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baldrick314 » 23 Jan 2016, 1:14 pm

I've got the original RCBS trimmer and I like it but I'll upgrade to the Trim Pro 2 when I can just for the convenience of the locking mechanism. The original one uses little shell plates to hold the case head and you have to have one for each different size case head
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 23 Jan 2016, 6:09 pm

I built my own. I took the idea of a RCBS trim pro and built a quick change chuck that used a multi start thread, made a sewing machine motor mount to run the cutter and built a adjusting nut that was super large but with a fine thread(.5mm) for easy fine adjustment.

It is the best of all worlds. Quick case change, power cutter with a foot panel, Easy fine adjustments and bomb proof ( solid steel) with roller bearings in the cutter.
If I had to buy one it would be a trim pro as it does most jobs well.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2016, 7:00 pm

That sounds great Bill, you'll have to post some pics up of it if you would.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Rakk » 01 Feb 2016, 3:10 pm

Request for pics +1
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Bills Shed » 01 Feb 2016, 10:14 pm

Rakk wrote:Request for pics +1

Sorry Gents,
I will be away from my equipment for the Moment. I will post when I am back on deck.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Lorgar » 10 Feb 2016, 9:23 am

I use the Lee one with the shell holder that goes in a power drill.

It's not fancy but it's fast, about 10 seconds per case including chamfering. Perfectly fine job for my requirements.

(Picture at bottom of this reply)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 03 May 2016, 9:37 am

Bills Shed wrote:
Rakk wrote:Request for pics +1

Sorry Gents,
I will be away from my equipment for the Moment. I will post when I am back on deck.

Bill

OK, for those that wanted a pic, Today I sized my old KHornet cases back down to 17 hornet which made the cases far to long and so out came the trimmer. Made short work of removing that .020+"

As you can see it is not small and does not have pretty colours but it is accurate, solid, easily adjustable and motorised. Cost a bit of time and the rest came out of the scrap bin from various place.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 6442 times
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by WayneO » 05 May 2016, 8:30 pm

That's quite a serious setup Bill.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 06 May 2016, 1:57 pm

Any chance of some more pictures showing the arm better?

Would like to see the whole thing.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by headspace » 06 May 2016, 4:28 pm

I use the Lees Quick Trim that has a die you screw into your press. You put a case in the shell holder and bring it up. A handle with a trimmer, chamfer and OS de burring cutter is part of the deal. They are accurate and inexpensive.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 06 May 2016, 6:35 pm

Bourt wrote:Any chance of some more pictures showing the arm better?

Would like to see the whole thing.

I think this is what you wanted to see. The actuator arm attaches to the main shaft via a short linkage and bolt setup. I made shouldered brass bushes for each pivot point, but they are really not required but make excellent spacers between mating surfaces. I had lots of time on my hands to tinker with this.

I agree the Lee timer is a good piece of kit if you only need to remove .010" or so but when reforming cases to other calibres and a lot of trimming is involved there is nothing like a motorised carbide cutter. Maybe I need to invest in a modern type cutter head that trims and deburrs at the same time.
Bill
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 6607 times
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by KennyA » 16 Jun 2016, 8:03 pm

Hi, I'm coming back to reloading after about a 25 year absence. I purchased a case trimmer from gun shop in Wodonga Vic. About 25 years ago. It was an Australia made copy of the US made L.E Wilson trimmer. I'm now looking to purchase a 223 case holder, does anyone know here or if I can still purchase the Aussie made product..? The only other option is to purchase one from the states....!!!
image.jpeg
Case trimmer...Aussie made
image.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 6574 times
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 17 Jun 2016, 7:14 am

KennyA wrote:Hi, I'm coming back to reloading after about a 25 year absence. I purchased a case trimmer from gun shop in Wodonga Vic. About 25 years ago. It was an Australia made copy of the US made L.E Wilson trimmer. I'm now looking to purchase a 223 case holder, does anyone know here or if I can still purchase the Aussie made product..? The only other option is to purchase one from the states....!!!
image.jpeg

Hi KennyA,
I have/ had the exact same trimmer bought from the same shop 28 years back. I was so new to reloading( pre Internet) and did not know anybody that reloaded ammunition. I walked in and asked to look at their trimmers, they showed me that hand trimmer, but failed to tell me that I would need a die/ collet to actually hold the case. I got it home and thought it was very under designed and needed some sort of case support and so turned up a die to fit. Used it for years but hated that little crank handle. Ever since then I have been building better units that had some sort of motorisation.

As to your question, where do you get a die, in Aust ?...... After that I would measure up the the OD of your current die / case holder and find one on the net, try Sinclair reloading. They have great gear. Of you have a machinist friend it would not take much to turn one up. They do not need to be hardened, just of the correct OD and a neat fit at the neck and at the other end so that it is held square and level to the centre line of the cutter.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bourt » 17 Jun 2016, 2:05 pm

Bills Shed wrote:I think this is what you wanted to see. The actuator arm attaches to the main shaft via a short linkage and bolt setup. I made shouldered brass bushes for each pivot point, but they are really not required but make excellent spacers between mating surfaces.

Thanks for the extra photo mate :mrgreen:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 17 Jun 2016, 2:34 pm

Certainly puts my little lee hand trimming tool to shame lol
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by KennyA » 24 Jun 2016, 8:14 pm

Thanks Bills shed.......
I have purchased the the 223 case guide from Sinclairs reloading.
Cheers
.177 &.22 Air rifle, .22lr, 223 Rem, 308 Win, 308 Ackley Imp, 410, 45-70, 12g single, U/O, S/S
KennyA
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 27 Jun 2016, 1:16 am

So far for 308 Win/7.62 NATO, 300 Blackout and 7.5 Swiss I have bought a World's Finest Trimmer for each. I looked at other options but for the case volume I do and the price I could afford this ended up being the best option.

The WFT fits into a regular power drill and the case fits into a chamber cut for that specific cartridge. It will also chamfer and deburr reasonably well by giving the case a quarter turn twist back against the cutter rotation after you have trimmed to length. Some people said they can do a dozen cases a minute with it, but for me I probably do about 5 a minute.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Zilla » 12 Jul 2016, 11:08 am

AusTac wrote:Certainly puts my little lee hand trimming tool to shame lol

Whatever works :thumbsup:
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2016, 12:42 pm

headspace wrote:I use the Lees Quick Trim that has a die you screw into your press. You put a case in the shell holder and bring it up. A handle with a trimmer, chamfer and OS de burring cutter is part of the deal. They are accurate and inexpensive.

I'm using the same, I can't imagine there is any quicker way than this setup.
I have the Quick Trim as well but I can trim several cases in the trim die in the time it takes to get one into and out of the chuck on the Quick Trim.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Raf » 02 Oct 2018, 9:40 am

Hi all,

This is a little old, but here is what I did.

I bought a cheap small bench-top mitre drop saw ($80 on eBay) and designed holding plate for my 300 Win Mag cases.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (39.05 KiB) Viewed 6073 times

IMG_6167.JPG
IMG_6167.JPG (38.17 KiB) Viewed 6073 times

Saw trims to 2.6105 and deburring will bring it back to 2.610.

IMG_6163.JPG
IMG_6163.JPG (73.42 KiB) Viewed 6073 times

Happy days.
Raf
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 02 Oct 2018, 7:46 pm

Hi Raf,
First welcome to the forum. I like your efforts to find a better way of building a mouse trap. You are right it is a older post...but still relevant.
I have a saw of similar quality and size in my shed. I use it to cut 22 mag cases shorter for 69 gr projectiles. I am sorry to say that it is a real inaccurate piece of kit, and really struggles to make a square cut. There is just to much flex in all the plastic.
I like the idea but I think the quality of the "trim" may leave a bit to be desired. If it works for you, all is well but I would seriously look at a more rigid setup.
Keep us informed on your builds as we are all looking for a faster better way.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition