WooooHoo! Scope & Ammo Dialed Right In!

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

WooooHoo! Scope & Ammo Dialed Right In!

Post by Gwion » 25 Jan 2016, 1:29 pm

Well, all my fart arsing around with loads for the 7mm08 has paid off!

Weight sorted cases
Weight sorted bullets
Cases fire formed
Necks trimmed
Necks turned to 12thou
AR 2209 weighed out to the granule

See pics below:
I was calibrating my scope to see if the click values were equal to 1/4 MOA, so i made a calibration board. I set out 22.86m with pegs and then ran out some 50lb braided fishing line (near zero stretch). 4 x 22.86 = 91.44m=100yd. I marked the length with a clove hitch around a rubber band and then ran out the 100yd and set up prone with my reticule at the 100yd mark. 10, then 20 clicks up: bang on 20m MOA (measured 1.047" locked on caliper and marked out on the board. Repeat process with clicks down: same same, bang on at 10 & 20 MOA. Job one done and happy.

Then to re-zero the scope to true 100yd, rather than an approximate 100m.

IMG_0539.JPG
1st shot high from old zero. 2nd & 3rd shots low and left into 0.19". 4th shot too much adjustment right. 5th shot center but low, 1click up. 6th & 7th shot just below dead center. Last three shots make 0.306" @ 100yd, even with one click to raise the last two. Very happy camper. At least when i miss the bull, i can't blame the ammo!
IMG_0539.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2550 times

:thumbsup: :clap:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: WooooHoo! Scope & Ammo Dialed Right In!

Post by Gwion » 25 Jan 2016, 2:42 pm

And here's my Scope Calibration Board:

Scale down the left is true MOA increments @ 100yd (1.047"). Scale down the right is true 1" increments.

Precise enough to confirm my scope is pretty well on the money for 1/4MOA per click.
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG (338.13 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Strikey » 25 Jan 2016, 7:36 pm

If I remember correctly, you are using a Sightron, I have never calibrated mine like you have but I have never doubted their tracking accuracy, also I should not have looked at this post, makes me want to have another 7-08, bugger, :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 25 Jan 2016, 7:47 pm

Let me know when you need those reloading dies back! Hehe...

Yup. It's a Sightron. Good to confirm the click value. Never heard of calibrating a scope before but it was worth the effort.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Strikey » 25 Jan 2016, 7:55 pm

Those Sightron's are good :thumbsup: I am over the big bangers, getting soft in the old age :lol: :lol: besides there is only room in the safe for one more, tossing between a Lithgow ( despite all the bad stories ) or another air rifle ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 25 Jan 2016, 7:58 pm

Yep... I'm still trying to convince myself not to get a Lithgow; the argument isn't going well! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Korkt » 11 Feb 2016, 8:30 am

Good work mate.

It's great when a plan comes together :D
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Carter » 17 Feb 2016, 11:20 am

Good hunting :thumbsup:
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 21 Feb 2016, 12:39 pm

That looks like the go I tend to just guess how many clicks I need till my scope is zeroed.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 21 Feb 2016, 1:25 pm

Hey Mallee. I did this because someone mentioned about calibrating my scope. I'd never heard of it before.

This was in relation to a question i asked from shooting f-class. I had been wondering the reason i was getting different elevation readings for the same range on different strings through out the day. Some one asked if i knew my click values where true to that stated by the manufacturer. I did some reading and figured this would work.

From here i use a ballistic calculator to estimate elevation and windage and then record actual data each session at various ranges so i have confirmed settings to refer to when setting up a shot. You can start simply by using a little pocket book to note scope settings at your chosen zero (obviously zero if you 'slip the turrets') and then at various ranges. The military and such refer to this as collecting DOPE (Data On Previous Engagements).

I even made a little ballistics sheet for my particular load:

7-08 Fclass sheet.jpg
7-08 Fclass sheet.jpg (109.04 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 21 Feb 2016, 2:56 pm

awesome! I might try that one day when I get time.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 01 Mar 2016, 3:08 pm

Fart arsing around is more productive than people think :D
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition