223 reloading - worth it?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

223 reloading - worth it?

Post by juststarting » 07 Feb 2016, 8:33 pm

So a bit random but... I decided (did) to sell my 17HMR, we never got a long. I replaced her with a .223 and we are happy together :crazy:

Now I am thinking reloading, but looking at factory ammo prices I am not sure there is really a need for it. For example, 1,000 rounds of Aussie Outback match ammo with Sierra 69gr works out to just under 90c per round - door to door, delivered.

With 1:8 twist, thinking something heavier will definitely require reloading, since there is nothing out there over 69gr for a reasonable price, but staying on 69gr I am not sure it's worth it.

Any thoughts, opinions, tips are very appreciated.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: 223 reloading - worth it?

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Feb 2016, 9:12 pm

It depends on several factors:
Do you intend to hunt/target shoot/both
Do you already reload, and if so, do you have a single stage/turret/progressive press?
What else do you/will you reload for?
If you already reload (which we know you do) and want to do more than hunt and/or have time to reload, and don't need to purchase a whole heap of new equipment to do it, then yes. In small to moderate quantities, it becomes marginal as to whetherthe savings are worth it. Butin your case, knowing most of the answers to the above questions, if you have the time, then yes.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 07 Feb 2016, 9:16 pm

I say, reload, reload, reload. If you do not want the to, send the brass to me !
You have so much more control over what you put out the barrel.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by juststarting » 07 Feb 2016, 9:18 pm

Yarr, you know it, maybe a little too well :oops:

Not like I am not going to mess around with loads :) That's a given, but certainly interested in opinions.

thanks
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 07 Feb 2016, 10:17 pm

Of course I want to!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 08 Feb 2016, 6:07 am

The Horsley Park gun shop is selling Sierra 55gr Super Roo projectiles for $159 per 1000 or 2000 for $290
If you buy in bulk it's much cheaper.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 08 Feb 2016, 8:23 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Bourt » 08 Feb 2016, 9:40 am

juststarting wrote:With 1:8 twist, thinking something heavier will definitely require reloading, since there is nothing out there over 69gr for a reasonable price, but staying on 69gr I am not sure it's worth it.

Any thoughts, opinions, tips are very appreciated.

How much of a money saver it is will depend on the components you load. Could be minimal or could be significant depending on if you use premium bullets, top shelf brass and primers etc.

Depends on buying bulk or not. How much you shoot. Lots of things.

Money aside, 99% though hand loads will give you a better cartridge, in terms of accuracy and/or performance as you can build them to your requirements where factory ammo is limited.

For me it's more about if you have the time and want a better performing cartridge then reload. If you shoot enough it'll save you a fortune then reload.

Reloading isn't free, it costs you time. Up to you whether or not you want to spend your time on it or something else.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 08 Feb 2016, 4:00 pm

In my rifle, the 55gn Super Roo Sierra with 26gn of 2206H gives outstanding results. I did steal this recipe from an expert ordinance fellow in the RAAF, and he too has found outstanding results.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 08 Feb 2016, 5:32 pm

Exactly as others say. Do you have the time; do you want the extra edge on accuracy? If your answer to both is 'not really', then just buy bulk in OSA Buffalo River. Same Sierra bullets an heaps of reports of fine accuracy for hunting.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Strikey » 08 Feb 2016, 6:51 pm

I have figured it is not worth my time to reload for my .223 as it will only be used a couple of times a year and when it will shoot .5 -.6 MOA with OSA ammo, why should I bother if I am buying it for about $16 per 20 :thumbsup: I do reload all my other centrefires though ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 08 Feb 2016, 7:55 pm

So I am hearing a lot of, yes you should totally reload... Dies purchased :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Feb 2016, 8:02 pm

I see .223 as one of those rounds you'll shoot a lot of, be it practice for bigger centre fire calibers, varminting or just plain plinking for fun. It's cheap to reload and relatively cheap to feed factory ammo if finances allow. Having recently purchased the little Howa Mini Action .223 and exhausting the factory ammo I purchased with it I decided to load up a few rounds :)

Tips to save money or as I explained it to my favourite shop "Money I save today is Money I'll spend here next visit".
Support your LGS, talk to them, get to know them and most importantly let them get to know you. (Unless they are total A-Holes in which case F-Them and you buy online from the cheapest source).
If they don't have what you want in stock, ask them to add it to their next regular order if you're not in a mad hurry, this will save on shipping costs.
For Major purchases, negotiate a discount for cash or EFT. Many shops are happy to pass on some savings from not having to pay credit card fees which can be up to %4 in some cases. Even if you can save $20-$50 on a big order it's still better off in your pocket than on the banks balance sheet of fees.
Where possible, Buy in bulk as others have said before me. The components to load 1000 rounds of .223 with new ADI brass comes in at less then 70c a shot or about 30-35c a round without brass (depends on projectile). One major factor to consider is the time involved to reload, for the time poor like myself there are 2 options, either invest in ways to do it faster or just buy the factory stuff. I consider a few hours on the press to be therapeutical to my mental health, I find it relaxing and stress relieving with the added bonus of getting a great forearm workout, so I make the time to reload.

IMG_2150.JPG
1000 Spanking New Shiny ADI Cases
IMG_2150.JPG (259.61 KiB) Viewed 9929 times

IMG_2153.JPG
Progressive Press = 300-400 rounds an hour.
IMG_2153.JPG (212.95 KiB) Viewed 9929 times

IMG_2152.JPG
Bulk Projectiles - 3500
IMG_2152.JPG (222.08 KiB) Viewed 9929 times

Worth it ?
Financially based on the math if using new brass and factoring in your time then probably not.
Based on the joy of getting better results from your own labour then hell yes, go forth to Resize, Prime, Charge, Seat and shoot as much as you can :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2016, 8:08 pm

NO. think about it before u spend too much money.
Yes it is a little cheaper,,, say 40c a round
Yes it usually is more accurate
I takes a lot of your precious time
Your young, so you should spend more time in bed with the mrs.
So just mail the empty cases to me. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Feb 2016, 8:34 pm

NO. think about it before u spend too much money

I've discovered that thinking too much about money spoils the fun and adventure in life :D

So just mail the empty cases to me.

Always willing to help out a fellow shooter, I'll have to decline the generous offer this time :friends:

The only reason they're not loaded is I'm waiting on a carbide die for the press, once it arrives I'll load the lot in one sitting. I've already got a good load that I've tested so that'll be what I set the press up for. I'm in 2 minds over the Dillon press, I can now load in 1 hr what used to take 3-4hrs which is good but I like reloading so it's cutting short my enjoyment... :?
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2016, 8:54 pm

Sorry Brett, That was directed to Just Starting. Come on, get to bed and mail me the empties.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 08 Feb 2016, 9:12 pm

@oldbloke, we both know that my post was devil advocacy at best - if I get some cheap .223 rounds, great but that's not going to stop me from reloading :)

Now, keep your your hands off my brass, ya dirty old man, wife wouldn't approve.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 08 Feb 2016, 9:25 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sorry Brett, That was directed to Just Starting. Come on, get to bed and mail me the empties.

No worries mate :)

As an FYI, if anyone's after bulk brass then check the link below..He's maybe 30 mins from my place and I've been thinking to buy a few 10kg bags of 9mm, 44 & 45ACP but if anyone's keen on some .223 then I can grab a 25kg bag and split the costs down to $ per 100 + shipping at cost.

http://www.australianoncefired.net/Bulk%20Prices.html
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 08 Feb 2016, 9:58 pm

bentaz wrote:Yeah he's got everything, except 222, 6.5x55 and 303. You know the only 3 rifles i want to reload for.
These guys http://www.reloadershaven.com.au
Have a great supply of new and once fired brass, website is s**t and still under construction but Dave is a great bloke and very helpful (I'm his gardener) he had 6.5 x55 cases and at half the price of once fired site above, not that I'm bagging once fired, i plan on getting a bulk load of their 38 brass but I'm just putting another option out there.

Cool, I remember finding them before when looking for Meplat trimmers and forgot they also do brass. I'll give him a call during the week and see what the prices are like with consideration of postage. Penrith Gun show is this weekend so I might go and put a name to a face for Aus Once Fired and see what else is on offer. I have to spend lunchtime Sunday with the Russian princess at a seafood buffet so I might as well check some guns out on Saturday so we both have a good weekend :).

Totally off topic...has anyone tried shooting fish? I was going across a causeway last week and spotted this huge Carp just off the edge of the concrete, I'm thinking 17HMR would have been perfect. Risk of ricochet I guess but if the fish is close to the surface then the little 17HMR will penetrate enough for an ethical kill :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 08 Feb 2016, 10:02 pm

So good segway, what's a good place to buy projectiles in bulk?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Feb 2016, 10:13 pm

*waits for someone to mention dynamite*
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 08 Feb 2016, 10:17 pm

Mythbusters did a good segment on shooting into water... 17HMR would probably disintegrate on impact due to velocity. Something slower would do the job a lot better, methinks.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 08 Feb 2016, 10:30 pm

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 09 Feb 2016, 3:56 am

I'm under the impression fisheries do not approve of shooting fish. Pretty sure it's a no no in both Vic & Tas. I do know of scallywags who shoot trout with 22lr & 223. Don't have to get a direct hit because which wave gets them :allegedly: .
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Feb 2016, 3:58 am

sandgroperbill wrote:*waits for someone to mention dynamite*

You mean expanding bait???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Feb 2016, 4:01 am

That shop in Qld had Sierra bulk very cheap last I looked. Magnum Sports also worth a look, from memory.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Herdsman » 09 Feb 2016, 12:51 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:*waits for someone to mention dynamite*

vote-for-pedro.jpg
vote-for-pedro.jpg (109.95 KiB) Viewed 8281 times
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by snag » 09 Feb 2016, 11:03 pm

To be honest, it's probably not from a purely economic point of view - given how cheap you can buy loaded ammo from some gun shops. BUT.... there is an enormous sense of satisfaction to be gained from finding the exact right load for your rifle and replicating this over and over. It also gives you something shooting orientated to do on those lousy weekends when you can't actually shoot........
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 10 Feb 2016, 7:59 am

20 something years ago we were shooting carp from a bridge with a .22 they were mouthing the surface like there was no oxygen one shot and they sink.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 10 Feb 2016, 9:57 am

Since you're talking about heavy pills and fast twists I assume this is for a long range rig. If that's the case reloading will be valuable for the increased accuracy if nothing else.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition