223 reloading - worth it?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 223 reloading - worth it?

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 Feb 2016, 11:01 pm

I'm gobsmacked
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Feb 2016, 1:56 pm

Bentaz, they should go well for the foxes.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Feb 2016, 2:31 pm

I grabbed a box of those 55g sierra's too.
I have been using Hornady 55g soft points in my 223, so I thought I would do the basic comparison. Had an old pic of a sectioned Hornady 55g and a Sellier Bellot 55g (with minor damage) so I just added the Sierra 55g 1365k is on the right. Result, they all look much the same to me. My guess is performance for all 3 will be similar

Hornady Sellier Bellot  Sierra 55g.JPG
Hornady Sellier Bellot Sierra 55g.JPG (330.07 KiB) Viewed 5287 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Feb 2016, 12:15 pm

Is it worth it.?
I think it is just for the gain in accuracy, consistancy, & eventually you save a few quid. Not to forget the enjoyment and pleasure af assembling a great load.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 21 Feb 2016, 1:49 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 27 Feb 2017, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Feb 2016, 7:25 pm

The sierra is boat tail, but the others are not. I was thinking more along the lines of terminal performance on foxes. All 55g and the jackets are all about the same thickness.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 21 Feb 2016, 8:30 pm

i reload for my 223 because its heaps cheaper and i go through so many rounds. accuracy is awesome (1/2 inch group at 100) with factory or reloaded ammo but i think the mossy has about a 23 inch barrel. I can't believe it shoots so straight considering it has just over 200 thou free jump to the lands and has done about 4000 rounds in the 6 months i have had it. The biggest reason for reloading 223 though is price. Its a fiddly little projectile and the primers are tiny and powdering the cases is totally mind numbing, so if you don't commit suicide after reloading 1000 at a time then it was worth the dollar saving!
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 22 Feb 2016, 9:18 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 27 Feb 2017, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 23 Feb 2016, 9:29 pm

bentaz wrote:
happyhunter wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:The sierra is boat tail, but the others are not. I was thinking more along the lines of terminal performance on foxes. All 55g and the jackets are all about the same thickness.

If you're concern is wound ballistics the Hornady vmax or sierra SBKs are a better choice for 223 or 222. The gameking is meant to be used at higher velocities, like 22-250 or 220 swift velocities and is heavily constructed so it won't disintegrate mid flight.

Saying that, even a 22LR is terminal on foxes :D

That will work better for me then i think as I'd been using the hornadys or rabbits and it was absolutely destroying them, not even worth picking up for the dogs, at the slower rate of my very mild 222 load the game kings should be sweet.

What powder are you using in your 222 Rem loads? I'm about to start load development for mine using 50 vmax and the powders are AR2207 and AR2206H. I'll be using once fired PPU brass I saved from the last few nights. The rifle has a 19.5 inch barrel and 1:14 twist.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 23 Feb 2016, 9:56 pm

You're not kidding about mild. Sounds like a fun load to shoot. There's no data on traill boss in the ADI manual for 222 but now I know somebody is using it safely I might have a play with it. Thanks for the info :)
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2016, 10:45 pm

bigtone wrote:i reload for my 223 because its heaps cheaper and i go through so many rounds. accuracy is awesome (1/2 inch group at 100) with factory or reloaded ammo but i think the mossy has about a 23 inch barrel. I can't believe it shoots so straight considering it has just over 200 thou free jump to the lands and has done about 4000 rounds in the 6 months i have had it. The biggest reason for reloading 223 though is price. Its a fiddly little projectile and the primers are tiny and powdering the cases is totally mind numbing, so if you don't commit suicide after reloading 1000 at a time then it was worth the dollar saving!

You my friend desperately need a Dillon XL650 progressive press :)
Once you get a rhythm going you can smash out around 300+ rounds per hour with the same level of precision as doing it by hand. I put 200 rounds of 44Mag through last night in under an hour not counting the time it took to unlock the powder, primers and load the press then cleanup and case gauge afterwards. I have a backlog of almost 2000 .223 cases at the moment pending the arrival of a carbide die cause I stuffed my Hornady one due to poor lubrication (I stuffed up). When I get the workshop a bit tidier I'll post some videos of the Dillon in action on .223 :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 01 Mar 2016, 1:10 pm

Reloading means a bit better ammo for a bit less coin.

If you got the time/inclination it's worth it :thumbsup:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by colinbentley » 02 May 2017, 10:50 am

I bought a 222 about six months ago and had no intention of reloading. .Like you I thought it wasn't worth it, but I found my rifle didn't like factory loads too much so I began reloading. It's not the cost but now shooting half inch groups at 100 meters. (the new scope helps too)
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition