Speer 125gr TNT

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Speer 125gr TNT

Post by ebr love » 16 Mar 2016, 10:35 am

Oldbloke wrote:It would always be a compromise with a single standard load. But it works for some.

Having a do-it-all load depends on what your "all" is.

If you hunt foxes and fallow a .243 with 80gr pills is nearly perfect (with admittedly some overkill for the fox end).

If you hunt everything from bunnies to buffalo one isn't going to work for you :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 27 Mar 2016, 10:44 am

hi MalleeFarmer, just noticed this thread, i use the 130's in my 308 and they are goat stoppers!! :thumbsup: i have used 150 soft points and if you dont hit a bone they can pencil through :( ,,not with the 130's,,they just shudder and drop :D thought about going to 125's but whats a couple of grains? i get just under moa at a 100 which is fine by me as where i shoot you can't see that far most of the time. :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 28 Mar 2016, 7:24 am

I found the 125s great on foxes and Roos but too frangible on goats and don't penetrate enough I used a couple on goats and wasn't happy with the performance I have now canned the idea of 125s and I'm sticking with my heavier loads for the .308 and using the .22-250 and .204 for foxes just means I'm taking more firepower when I go out. I've bought 480 rounds of osa .308 135 Sierra HPs they do a good job on goats similar to the 130 speers I was using.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 31 Mar 2016, 11:12 am

They're most definitely a Varmint bullet, not a game bullet.

(Even though they do say "on-game" performance in the marketing blurb which is poor wording from Speers. They're categories on the site under Varmint also.)

125gr out of a .308 with destroy anything from fox down with plenty to spare, but they won't be any good for anything with thick hide, big bones or a lot of meat to penetrate.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition