7mm Amax Discontinued

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

7mm Amax Discontinued

Post by Gwion » 26 Feb 2016, 3:24 pm

Too bad the expenses are spread too thin to buy up while I can!

Just ordered my last 200 162gn 7mm Amax. Will get me through the rest of the club season. Such a nice load too! Now I'll have to rework another load over winter!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: 7mm Amax Discontinued

Post by Gwion » 27 Feb 2016, 3:27 am

Good new is that this seems to be the same bullet with a new tip to maintain BC at extended ranges. Maybe i wont need to do too much load development when i change over.

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-.284-162-GR-ELD-Match/

and the hunting version:

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-.284-162-gr-ELD-X/
Last edited by Gwion on 29 Feb 2016, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Harper » 29 Feb 2016, 2:10 pm

Gwion wrote:Good new is that this seems to be the same bullet with a new tip to maintain BC at extended ranges. Maybe i wont need to do too much load development when i change over.

I think Murphy's Law will have something else to say about that :lol:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Lorgar » 29 Feb 2016, 2:22 pm

Gwion wrote:Good new is that this seems to be the same bullet with a new tip to maintain BC at extended ranges.

It does?

Looking at photos of both types if bullets (Googled separately, not looking at Hornady illustrations on their website) the cylinder of the ELD bullets looks taller.

Slightly more tangent shapt Ogive on the ELD too compared to the AMAX.

Possibly Hornady recycled some general images on their site, or third party sides could have incorrect photo. I guess you'll find out soon enough.

Good luck anyway, I hate working up loads again :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 29 Feb 2016, 3:17 pm

Lorgar wrote:
Gwion wrote:Good new is that this seems to be the same bullet with a new tip to maintain BC at extended ranges.

It does?

Looking at photos of both types if bullets (Googled separately, not looking at Hornady illustrations on their website) the cylinder of the ELD bullets looks taller.

Slightly more tangent shapt Ogive on the ELD too compared to the AMAX.

Possibly Hornady recycled some general images on their site, or third party sides could have incorrect photo. I guess you'll find out soon enough.

Good luck anyway, I hate working up loads again :lol:

Just going on weight and BC (GI). Both 162gn, Amax is 0.625, ELD-Match is 0.627..... pretty bloody close. As the whole ELD concept is a new tip that doesn't degrade under the friction/heat of high velocity flight, thus diminishing BC at range, i'm just assuming that's what makes the 0.002 difference in G1BC.

There is also a new EDL eXpanding (EDL-X), 162gn, G1BC 0.617......
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 29 Feb 2016, 3:19 pm

I know... all things equal, i probably don't have a chance of just swapping out the bullet and giving a little tweek... but i can live in hope!!! :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Feb 2016, 6:53 pm

Gotta love an optimist. Hide all the spanners from murphy, don't meed him throwing em into the works.

In all seriousness, if there is a difference to length, it may throw things out of whack and see you having to develop almost from scratch, but if they really are similar, you may be able to get away with some slight tweaking. Only one way to find out...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bark » 08 Apr 2016, 10:35 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Gotta love an optimist. Hide all the spanners from murphy, don't meed him throwing em into the works.

He has a magical gift for finding those hiding spots though :lol:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition