Reloading - do you keep brass batched?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Reloading - do you keep brass batched?

Post by Khan » 11 Mar 2016, 11:11 am

Makes sense.

Good to have a grasp on where in their life they're up to. With whatever brand of brass you're using you'll get to know about how many times fired they get to before the failure rate increases and you need to check more carefully.

Wouldn't hurt for accuracy either, if you've got new cases in with 20x fired and trimmed ones and everything in between you're going to have a little spread of case capacity through thinning and trimming.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Apr 2016, 11:09 pm

I've just started a new method of batching my brass. It wont work for everyone but for those who stick to one type of load it might.

I've got brass here that's more than 10 years old !
It can get hard to keep track of it all especially when you want to start batching by weight of brass after you've started batching by number of times fired.

Im now only running one small batch of brass , just 60.
3 disposable boxes of 20.
They will be reloaded untill the necks split or they show any other signs of trouble.
It will be much easier to keep track of, they will be worn out in less time but will have the same amount of fireings as normal.

Another advantage I can see is that they will be fresher, no more loading for 12 months worth of shooting and using 12 month old ammo.
I can also change my load and not have 200 pluss of my old load to pull apart.

Thats the plan anyhow
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 18 Apr 2016, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 18 Apr 2016, 11:18 pm

on_one_wheel, that's roughly what I've been doing.

Assumption (for a newbie like me) that brass is batched in order to identify when a given batch is ready for the rubbish bin, based on one or more cases from the same batch showing signs of bad wear or split necks... Do you then bin the entire batch; or only the cases in question and just keep an eye out on the rest; or milder loads, etc?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Harper » 26 Jul 2016, 2:36 pm

juststarting wrote:Assumption (for a newbie like me) that brass is batched in order to identify when a given batch is ready for the rubbish bin, based on one or more cases from the same batch showing signs of bad wear or split necks... Do you then bin the entire batch; or only the cases in question and just keep an eye out on the rest; or milder loads, etc?

Once one in a batch has failed definitely start keeping an eye on the rest for failure, but it doesn't mean you absolutely must throw the lot out.

Case consistency and flaws vary so the difference in life between 2 cases in the same batch can significant.

Some guys don't batch at all, they just check each case individually and could have new brass in with 20x fired brass. As long as it all checks out there is no harm.

Saying that though, if you're worried or just don't want to worry about it throwing the lot after a few start to fail makes some sense.

If you get 15 - 20 shots out of a batch then a few fail and you toss the lot, it's not like you haven't gotten your monies worth from them.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Reloading ammunition