Ways to dispose of ammunition

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Ways to dispose of ammunition

Post by adam » 06 Mar 2016, 11:09 am

I was wondering what different ways people dispose of the odd bit of damaged or unwanted unfired ammunition? (In this situation we're talking ammunition that is difficult or impractical to remove the projectile from the casing and unloading the gunpowder).
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Ways to dispose of ammunition

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Mar 2016, 11:23 am

It would depend on how it is damaged. Let's say the case or neck is split, well, that's easy. pry open the split so it is wide enough to dump the powder. It would really depend on the situation other than that, but whatever it is, you would need to excercise extreme caution
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Mar 2016, 11:24 am

oh, and to state the obvious, fire it if safe to do so, then dispose of the case, but I'm assuming you're talking about ammo that isn't safe to fire
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Baldrick314 » 06 Mar 2016, 12:27 pm

If you want to get rid of unfired ammo you can hand it in to range officers at any SSAA range. Also the police will take it from what I've heard but maybe phone the station ahead of time to arrange dropping it off
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2016, 2:17 pm

They go alright in a fire from what I've seen. :D

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... als-truth/
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 06 Mar 2016, 3:09 pm

crush the case with multi grips and nip it with wire cutters to get the powder out and mangle the case beyond any usability ,still leaves a live primer but it won't do any harm
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Mar 2016, 4:09 pm

Tin snips - snip through the guts..... dump in bin.

Once seperated the component, though not 'inert'; are effectively harmless.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Mar 2016, 4:39 pm

throw the powder on the lawn as it's basically fertilizer.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Mar 2016, 4:44 pm

Or on your cornflakes....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Mar 2016, 4:57 pm

just don't use a drill, grinder, etc., anything that may generate heat or sparks. Avoid the primer. all common sense stuff, but the problem with common sense is its not very common
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by adam » 06 Mar 2016, 6:49 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Or on your cornflakes....

Yeah - not a good idea. I had an uncle who used to put a few flakes of gunpowder on his cornflakes each morning for breakfast. His funeral was beautiful, but his cremation ceremony was something else! ;)
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by adam » 06 Mar 2016, 6:50 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking that keeping a container that I put them in, and when it gets full take it down to the local cop shop and let them deal with it might be the easiest approach. One of the few free services we have available to us. :)
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 06 Mar 2016, 7:38 pm

adam wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Or on your cornflakes....

Yeah - not a good idea. I had an uncle who used to put a few flakes of gunpowder on his cornflakes each morning for breakfast. His funeral was beautiful, but his cremation ceremony was something else! ;)

ROFLMAO, you made my day!

Certainly I agree with the police station method, there may be simpler solutions, but make them work for the speeding fine revenue {Victorian here}

Alternatively if you mean spare rounds from innacurrate ammo, save it for a rainy/sunny day.
I've just fired off 20+ .22mag rounds. Some I've had since I bought the rifle near 10 years ago. Some of them shot fantastic, 7mm groups... but I'd only 6 or so left, and they were discontinued at the time I bought them, so much for finding an accurate round. I've yet to find an equivalent substitute, but will go for a few bricks when I do.
The past week I've had some vermin control to do, and wondered why I was hanging onto the rounds. Sure I missed a few more since they were no longer sighted in, and some like Winchester power point and CCI Maxi mag would have trouble hitting a brick consistently, but at least there was as chance of hitting target. Vermin aren't dinner, so if they escape, I'll get them next time.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 07 Mar 2016, 7:51 am

Throw it in a bonfire.. run.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Mar 2016, 12:03 pm

adam wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking that keeping a container that I put them in, and when it gets full take it down to the local cop shop and let them deal with it might be the easiest approach. One of the few free services we have available to us. :)

I had a bunch of old SG rounds that were quite corroded, I didnt want to fire them off in the shotty ( I think they reacted with the belt that they were left in).....

So I put them in a container, dropped them off at a cop shop I was passing by.... no questions asked. But I wouldnt do it again..... I'm sure the CCTV would record me, my face and my car rego outside, just, you know ... in case.... they probably had all my licence details up on the screen by the time they finished saying "no worries we'll take care of it".... Not that I have anything to worry about on my 'record'...and nothing to hide, but why put yourself 'on the radar'

So I would suggest you dispose as I said - in the bin. :thumbsup:

Edit to add, in Vic.... and I would expect, know how govt works they probably ring up a hazmat contractor to do a 'proper disposal' and it would cost 'us' $$$
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by adam » 07 Mar 2016, 4:08 pm

I'm not too worried about handing it into Vicpol. They know what I have, and I'm licensed. CCTV, my face, car rego - they already have this information, and I'm licensed for this ammo anyway.

@sbd3927 - this ammunition is not usable. It's damaged ammo that I don't want anywhere near my beautiful guns. :-) Glad you liked my joke. ;-)
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Mar 2016, 5:32 pm

G'day adam,
Just curious, what calibres/quantities we talking here? I love playing with old or obsolete ammo, been doing it for decades. Happy to take it if your contactable and I know all the appropriate means of recycling components, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chickenhawk » 10 Mar 2016, 10:02 am

adam wrote:I'm not too worried about handing it into Vicpol. They know what I have, and I'm licensed. CCTV, my face, car rego - they already have this information, and I'm licensed for this ammo anyway.

Not that there is anything to "worry" about with handing it into the Police, only thing I believe is that you're surrendering dangerous goods or some such and have to do forms and sign of stuff, blah blah, can be a bit of a process.

If you can just had to an RO at the SSAA range next time you're there it would be a time saver.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by adam » 10 Mar 2016, 6:13 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day adam,
Just curious, what calibres/quantities we talking here? I love playing with old or obsolete ammo, been doing it for decades. Happy to take it if your contactable and I know all the appropriate means of recycling components, Cheers.

Not talking much at all - mostly damaged ammo or stuff I wouldn't dream of shooting.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by adam » 10 Mar 2016, 6:13 pm

Chickenhawk wrote:
adam wrote:I'm not too worried about handing it into Vicpol. They know what I have, and I'm licensed. CCTV, my face, car rego - they already have this information, and I'm licensed for this ammo anyway.

Not that there is anything to "worry" about with handing it into the Police, only thing I believe is that you're surrendering dangerous goods or some such and have to do forms and sign of stuff, blah blah, can be a bit of a process.

If you can just had to an RO at the SSAA range next time you're there it would be a time saver.

OH - didn't realise you had to sign forms and go through a whole lot of paperwork. Bonfire sure is sounding simpler now. :lol:
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 10 Mar 2016, 6:22 pm

Are they hand loads or factory ammo? I usually take factory ammo I no longer want/need because I've sold the gun, back to my local gunshop and he puts a price on it and we do trade for something I do need/want.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Hatter » 11 Mar 2016, 12:03 pm

adam wrote:OH - didn't realise you had to sign forms and go through a whole lot of paperwork. Bonfire sure is sounding simpler now. :lol:

I haven't handed in any myself but have read the same in an old topic here.

You don't just drop it on the counter and go apparently.
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Mar 2016, 12:27 pm

Hatter wrote:
adam wrote:OH - didn't realise you had to sign forms and go through a whole lot of paperwork. Bonfire sure is sounding simpler now. :lol:

I haven't handed in any myself but have read the same in an old topic here.

You don't just drop it on the counter and go apparently.

....no, they ask for your firearm licence so they can record that you have such an excess of ammo that you ran out of appropriate storage room at home..... :)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Bark » 08 Apr 2016, 10:39 am

happyhunter wrote:Are they hand loads or factory ammo? I usually take factory ammo I no longer want/need because I've sold the gun, back to my local gunshop and he puts a price on it and we do trade for something I do need/want.

Nice arrangement, I reckon most wouldn't
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by MakeItHappenCaptain » 09 Apr 2016, 1:16 am

Re: Cornflakes

My uncle drowned in a vat of whiskey at the distillery. His mates tried to save him, but he fought them off bravely. They cremated him. Took three days to put out the fire.
CZ 452-2E
Sako S491 .223
Cooper M54 22-250
Rem 7600 .308/.458 SOCOM
MakeItHappenCaptain
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 02 May 2016, 1:30 pm

MakeItHappenCaptain wrote:My uncle drowned in a vat of whiskey at the distillery. His mates tried to save him, but he fought them off bravely.

:lol:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition