Old .243 ammo

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Old .243 ammo

Post by shipwright » 09 Mar 2016, 2:19 pm

Hi Troops: pulled my old model 70 out of box had not used for a long time, tried her out with 75g reloads, hell of a blast and recoil, this ammo is probably 25 years old. there is a lot of it so decided to pull the projectiles and reload, had one of those green plastic kinetic pullers, only got a few out and the puller flew to bits it was pretty old so picked up a new one today see how it goes, these projectiles are really tight maybe some action between copper and brass.
Keep you advised.
Shipwright :)
shipwright
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Old .243 ammo

Post by headspace » 10 Mar 2016, 10:43 am

What sort of condition were the cases in mate? At 25 years old there could be a bit of corrosion which could be the reason your bullet puller had a bit of a job on its hands. A lot of factory ammo is crimped too which makes those inertia pullers job a lot harder. How old is the Mod 70?
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by shipwright » 12 Mar 2016, 7:27 pm

Headspace thanks for reply, cases are once fired PMC. Agree there appeared to be some galvanic action between copper-brass. Gave them a squirt of CRC and projectiles popped out with 3 whacks. having said that one case cracked at the head surprised me .
Shipwright
shipwright
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by MalleeFarmer » 14 Mar 2016, 2:42 pm

If one case cracked at the head is be very cautious using any of them. Recon I'd go buy some fresh cases and bullets for her. Model 70 deserves the best.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 15 Mar 2016, 2:50 pm

They could arguable pose a few safety concern or just as easily be perfectly fine depending on how kind or harsh the 25 years have been.

Has it been kept in a dry, temperate closet for 25 years, or in the leaky, wind tunnel of a shed that alternates between being an oven or freezer depending on the day?

How much surface oxidation is there?

Pics?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by newsteadvic » 15 Mar 2016, 7:12 pm

A useful lurk sometimes with hard to budge projectiles is to set up the seating die in the press to actually push the projectile into the case 1-2mm. This will "break the seal" and allow easier use of the kinetic puller.
Old projectiles I would tumble and use, as others say is some brass brittle? If you really wanted to use it consider annealing the case necks.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harper » 26 Apr 2016, 2:39 pm

What's the general vibe on how long it takes a seal to develop in storage?

Anyone?
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Zilla » 24 May 2016, 10:29 am

It would have to be years at least.
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by snag » 26 May 2016, 6:09 pm

.243 cases are cheap, model 70's aren't. I'd junk 'em and buy new ones.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Utcherd » 15 Jun 2016, 3:46 pm

snag wrote:.243 cases are cheap, model 70's aren't. I'd junk 'em and buy new ones.

Depends... He might have 1000 of them sitting there already?
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition