Collecting brass for reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Collecting brass for reloading

Post by zobster » 15 Mar 2016, 1:27 pm

I was speaking to the pistol club secretary a couple of weeks ago about joining up and one of the first few things he mentioned was reloading my own ammunition. This got me thinking, pistols are usually semi-automatic and their spent brass get ejected out to the side.

Now, how does one pick up his/her spent pistol brass for reloading? When I'm hunting it easy cause it's bolt action and you just open the action slowly and you'll be able to catch the brass before it gets ejected. When it comes to pistol brass, do you just bend down and pick them up or is there another method?

I guessing that many others will be reloading as well, as told to me by the secretary. So if 2/3 people are shooting at the same time, how is the brass going to be collected? :crazy: :unknown:
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Collecting brass for reloading

Post by SendIt » 15 Mar 2016, 2:44 pm

I can't say for every range but typically there will be a partition of some sort between shooters to stop brass ejecting into a neighbours space.

I take it you've just talked to the secretary and not seen the range yet? Stick you're head in and have a look, I suspect you'll find something as described above.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zobster » 15 Mar 2016, 4:10 pm

bentaz wrote:Its called "emu bobbing".

head down butt up?
zobster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 15 Mar 2016, 4:23 pm

Yup... peck at shiny things on the ground.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm

As the others mentioned there's usually a divider between bays so you're not hitting the person next to you with hot shell casings. If shooting IPSC, Service or other disciplines where you're in the open then generally others will help you collect the empties. I shoot service pistol at St Marys and we help each other to mark, score and collect brass. Also pistols will have different ejection trajectories, my Glock tends to throw them back over my right shoulder at the 5 O'clock mark whilst the STi throws them to 2 O'clock.
Depending on the range you may be able to buy their old brass as not everyone reloads. Factor in a 10% loss of cases when shooting and if you get serious with the pistols then invest in a Dillion progressive press or similar.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wheelbarrow » 17 Mar 2016, 12:22 pm

zobster wrote:head down butt up?

That's the way I like to... shoot :lol:
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 17 Mar 2016, 12:23 pm

brett1868 wrote:As the others mentioned there's usually a divider between bays so you're not hitting the person next to you with hot shell casings.

Having one go down the neck of your shirt is even more fun :sarcasm:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by huccl » 18 Apr 2016, 11:15 am

Do a little dance :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 06 May 2016, 1:49 pm

Hot brass gives you some good moves :D
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Yelp » 08 Aug 2016, 3:03 pm

All good fun, it's a right of passage having a smouldering case go down your shirt :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 08 Aug 2016, 6:19 pm

Ha, you guys just reminded me of an incident many years ago. I was standing to the right and slightly behind my brother who was plinking with a ruger 10/22. A case ejected and flew straight into the side of my neck. Sizzled there for a few seconds and actually got stuck. My dad had to pull it off and took a nice chunk of skin wth it. Had the scar there for the best part of a decade before it faded. Even little .22 cases can hurt like a b&$tard.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by ItsMe » 08 Aug 2016, 6:41 pm

A few folks at my club use a 2x2m piece of shade cloth when shooting forward of the bench and dividers. Once you know where your cases land you place the cloth accordingly.
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 08 Aug 2016, 7:07 pm

Get a revolver or better yet a thompson contender and shoot a real match like metallic silhouette
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Cryptic » 08 Aug 2016, 10:26 pm

Happy to be a wheelgunner till my 1st year 1 centrefire limit is up. Beats bobbing for brass for now.
Comp days after a round it's like watching chooks scratching around the yard. Highly tempting to dip into the empty bin and throw a handful out like feed.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition