Old timers reloading lament

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Old timers reloading lament

Post by David Brown » 15 Mar 2016, 9:21 pm

From a literary talent, retired B737 Check and Training Captain, and general all round nice old bastard…..

There was a time before dinosaurs ruled the earth when we enthusiasts would retire to our private happy places. Surrounded by the gentle and warm aroma of a rich gun oil and amid the wood panelled display cases and racks where our most loved and most beautiful works of engineering art would be awaiting an admiring glance and warm smile, washed by the memories of recent hunting days.

we would prise open our tin of rifle powder, pouring gently into the hopper. Click, pop, squeeze as we would test a primer seating. Clatter clatter, as the spent cases are lined up in their wooden case holder ready to be caressed and admired before being inspected for blemish or fault. The lustre and seemingly perfection of beautiful, nay exquisite Hornady or Sierra .270” 130 grain spire point boat tail projectiles are rolled across an admiring hand.

Then we would reach for our faithful worn and dog eared reloading manual. Powder dust staining the most studied pages. The smell of old paper infused over the years by the pure joy that they invoked in their loyal owners.

The sun streams in the old window, the trees change their colour, the seasons roll back over and over. Season defining the years of a lifetime. Then I open my lovely old reloading manual once again and the memories come flooding back. But the powder numbers are all different, the projectiles have plastic tips, the beautiful guns are imprisoned in a bomb proof safe, and the f***ing up to date reloading manual is on the f***ing computer!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,

G.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Old timers reloading lament

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Mar 2016, 9:33 pm

I was sure it was going to end with;
and the calubre was .375 with a more manly 300grain projectile.... :)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by David Brown » 16 Mar 2016, 8:51 am

Actually he is loading up some 444 Marlin in 265gn if that is any consolation :-)
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ebr love » 16 Mar 2016, 10:42 am

David Brown wrote:But the powder numbers are all different, the projectiles have plastic tips, the beautiful guns are imprisoned in a bomb proof safe, and the f***ing up to date reloading manual is on the f***ing computer!

Nice ending, ha ha :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 17 Mar 2016, 9:26 am

How true a story ,,,,, from a time when life was simple, firearms were not deemed politically incorrect, and one could enjoy yourself without the fall out from the anti gunners or society. Don't get me wrong, I understand change, progress, and all the other things in life that move with the times, but im sure some of the old ways were better

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 18 Mar 2016, 2:26 pm

I do envy the shooters who get a great result out of measuring powder with a little scoop cup instead of needing throwers and scales.

Huge time saver.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 18 Mar 2016, 3:15 pm

Korkt wrote:I do envy the shooters who get a great result out of measuring powder with a little scoop cup instead of needing throwers and scales.

Huge time saver.

Dillin 650 :thumbsup:
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Mar 2016, 4:43 pm

Korkt wrote:I do envy the shooters who get a great result out of measuring powder with a little scoop cup instead of needing throwers and scales.

Huge time saver.

What is this scoop cup you speak of?? doesnt everyone fill to the top then give it a few firm.... but not too violent - we are being precise here! :? :) taps.... then tap in a bullet with the mallet.... rubber of course, you dont want to deform the tip! :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bluerob » 19 Mar 2016, 7:58 am

David Brown wrote:

Huge time saver.

Dillin 650 :thumbsup:

1050 if you really want to play.... :crazy:
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 19 Mar 2016, 8:45 am

Yeah……the 650 with the AA bullet feeder seems to me to be the go…… it was not the money but experience of others that sent me that way. I have not owned a 1050 to compare.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 22 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

Sounds like a night at my place, except for the sun streaming in the window and the gun in wooden racks and...ah ferget it.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 22 Mar 2016, 10:04 pm

hope you enjoyed it all the same
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by headspace » 23 Mar 2016, 6:57 pm

Still do, and try to retain some sense of the "golden years" of hand loading. My old Super Simplex press is quietly rusting somewhere unknown. But I still do things in a similar way and see no need for haste. :clap:
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 07 Apr 2016, 3:59 pm

David Brown wrote:Dillin 650 :thumbsup:

I think he means without spending a grand on a press and dedicating a room too it :lol:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition