Secrets Of The Houston Warehouse

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Mar 2016, 7:59 am

Here's an interesting article for the reloaders amongst us. I'd read an article about this experiment but not the original article. The basic story is that a guy set up a shooting lane in his warehouse that was essentially a sterile environment. No wind, mirage, temperature fluctuations, or changes of lighting conditions. He then spent years testing various elements of reloading and gunsmithing theory to see what really worked.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/10/1 ... -accuracy/

That link has a summary of the original article as well as a link to download the original article.

The results were extremely interesting. Some of the techniques he used to reload fly in the face of what is commonly considered the "right" way to do things but his results speak for themselves. Certainly something to ponder.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 17 Mar 2016, 10:29 am

An interesting read! I wonder how many of us are steadfastly sticking to the "rules" just because someone said so? How many have tried something different? I haven't neck sized my .40-65 cases for my Sharps for while now and hand seat loose bullets that are pushed into the lands hen loading. Once that change was made the groups shrank and my scores doubled. Interested to hear your changes and results.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: Secrets Of The Houston Warehouse

Post by happyhunter » 17 Mar 2016, 11:04 am

The most useful hint in that article is letting the rifle free recoil.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Mar 2016, 11:44 am

happyhunter wrote:The most useful hint in that article is letting the rifle free recoil.

I find that depends on calibre. Mild recoiling bench rest rounds in heavy bench guns, yes free recoiling works well. In heavier calibres (.308W and up in my experience) and lighter rifles free recoil is not as effective. This is also dependant on your set up too, free recoil works much better with a solid front rest than off a bipod
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 27 Apr 2016, 4:12 pm

That it some serious dedication to accuracy.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Farmjer » 16 May 2016, 12:27 pm

A lot of work but I'm envious.

Happy to post results if someone gives me a warehouse setup like that to shoot in :D
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition