.308 win dies

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.308 win dies

Post by valkyrie » 29 Mar 2016, 11:51 am

Hey all.
Ive never really realoaded before but im very keen to give it a go. Managed to score myself an old simplex press on the weekend so now im looking for some .308 win dies and neck resizer and the like. So if anyone could point me in the right direction or has any advice about some good loads to get started with it would be great.
Cheers valkyrie
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: .308 win dies

Post by brett1868 » 29 Mar 2016, 12:49 pm

Try Midway Australia on eBay, Zhen is a good guy and carries quite a bit of Simplex gear.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/midwayaustralia/?_dmd=1&_nkw=simplex
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 29 Mar 2016, 1:21 pm

I might have some that are surplus to my needs…new too! I will check when I get home for you.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 29 Mar 2016, 2:39 pm

Perhaps start reloading based on a manual/reference and build up. Not sure randomly replicating other's loads is the safest way to go about it.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by TheDude » 29 Mar 2016, 4:29 pm

What sort of shooting you looking at doing? If hunting, any particular factory ammo you've liked or projectile weight/style you want to focus on?

Based on that I'm sure people can suggest a powder to use, then you'll need to work up a load that's accurate for your rifle. A reloading guide or two are a good investment. The ADI guide is available on their site for load data for local powders.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by valkyrie » 29 Mar 2016, 6:28 pm

Sorry i should have said. Mostly looking to just have a bit of fun shooting targets. Nothing too serious in terms of accuracy. And occasionally knock off a few roos for the old man. Im mostly looking for a suggestion about a projectile to start with somewhere in the150 grain range. Just looking for something fairly cheap and reliable, nothing fancy
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 29 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm

valkyrie wrote:Sorry i should have said. Mostly looking to just have a bit of fun shooting targets. Nothing too serious in terms of accuracy. And occasionally knock off a few roos for the old man. Im mostly looking for a suggestion about a projectile to start with somewhere in the150 grain range. Just looking for something fairly cheap and reliable, nothing fancy

There so much available in .308cal. that hardly a gunshop that doesn't have bags of cheap remington, highland, sellier& Bellot etc.. projectiles on special sale.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by David Brown » 31 Mar 2016, 8:37 am

Dies will be on the way. The 2 die set is a full length sizer and a seater, so you can resize any brass you come across. If you ant to start neck only sizing, for your own fired brass, you can buy a Lee or similar in a neck sizer and use that. But every so often a full length resize will be needed.

I will throw in a few of theses http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-150-gr-RN/ that I have left over. Really good projectile at short ranges.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Seconds » 31 Mar 2016, 9:16 am

valkyrie wrote:Just looking for something fairly cheap and reliable, nothing fancy

Have a look at Sierra GameKings and MatchKings (for hunting and target shooting respectively)
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 31 Mar 2016, 10:59 am

They are good too. It is hard to buy crappy ammo these days. So much really good stuff to chose from.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Redwood » 14 Apr 2016, 9:41 am

Berger projectiles are good and reasonably cheap but can but can be a little fussy to get to shoot right.

Once they do though :thumbsup:
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition