Australian wildcats and improved cartridges

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Australian wildcats and improved cartridges

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Mar 2016, 4:25 am

Hi, first post here, and was wondering how many of you out there share my interest in Australian developed and standardised wildcats. I'm slowly (very slowly....) rebuilding my collection of Enfields and 303 based cartridges and reloading gear, so would be interested in hearing about anything different or unusual that you may have sitting in a dusty cupboard, or actively still using.

At present I have One Remington P14 in 303 British, which is a collectors piece that I regularly shoot, a 303-25 based on a No.4 lee Enfield that shoots very well, plus an M17 Enfield in the same calibre with an Aussie sportco barrel that is in pieces. Add to that a 30-22 wasp that is at the gunsmiths, plus another couple of Full wood lee Enfields that are on their way. I also picked up a very nice sporterised Lithgow No1mk3 for a good price that I will use for experimenting with cast bullets and the like.

My main project right now is a Winchester P14 in 303 Epps, which is not strictly Australian, but still comes under the general heading of improved cartridges. Along side the rifles is a growing pile of Super simplex dies plus a turret press from a deceased estate and a few contacts who have old case forming dies tucked away here and there. I have always considered these things a valuable part of our history, so please share your thoughts and experiences if you get the chance :)
Member-Deleted

Re: Australian wildcats and improved cartridges

Post by SamHuntVic » 30 Mar 2016, 1:36 pm

I took my 303-25 to a range last weekend. What a classic. Hadn't fired it for 5 years, just three shots at 25m then out to 130m and on the mark.
Ammo is becoming more readily available these days so if you have this cal. don't bother buying a .243 because the 303-25 has very similar ballistics.
Grant.
Don't hide from your mates in the bush!™
SamHuntVic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Mar 2016, 3:31 pm

G'day aradour234,
Had a 303/22 P14 sporter, it could compete with any 22 centrefire. Regret selling it now. Also had 303/270 but never thought much of it, certainly your 303/25 could out perform it. Have a packet of Super Cart. Co. 7.7x54 in the cupboard but no rifle any more, some of the chambers on these conversions were loose enough to actually still chamber 303 Brit! So much for NSW regs. There is a new Aussie wildcat called the 358CRG, but I know little of it. Another conversion I didn't get to play with was the 303/35, which gained a good reputation for close range pigs. For Aussie wildcats, look at the late Arthur Langfords rimfire work, 17 Minor Mite, 17 Vixen, .08, .11, .14 and .17 Tini Mite and of course his world known 250MYRA, which I had in a Sako 85, brilliant stuff. If you want a read about Australian firearms ingenuity, check out his work on 22 Extruder barrels, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 30 Mar 2016, 10:14 pm

Go Aussie go......

Have got a few mainly 303's necked up and down, on all sorts of military actions, just love them for their history if nothing else.

COLLECTOR 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Varmtr » 02 Apr 2016, 9:17 am

Seems like everyone one is build a 303 Epps :D or a version of one of his cartridges.
303 wildcats and versions so many to list.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by lole » 08 Apr 2016, 10:48 am

I'd love to have a play with a few wildcats.

If everything was as easy here as it is in the states I'd be all over it.

Too much effort for my shooting as it is now though.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 18 Apr 2016, 2:41 pm

I'll need something to keep be busy during retirement.

Perhaps a few AusC-Improved cartridges :)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 10 May 2016, 10:49 am

It's always interesting to see something new, from a practical standpoint there is no point doing it for me. If I need a different cartridge there is something factory suitable enough for whatever my purpose would be.

The fun is in doing it though, so if that's what you're looking for I reckon wildcats are a blast :)
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by gunnnie » 10 May 2016, 10:21 pm

Run a few wildcats - 17Ackley Hornet, 22K-Hornet, 257 Roberts Ackley Improved & a 303-25. I find it a great break from the usual. Whilst the brass can be an exercise in frustration, some such as the 22K-H & 257 are simple. All perform well and have a place in my safe.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 11 May 2016, 7:47 am

Ripper collections! Great to see people messing with stuff that's not the usual 3 or 4 cals.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Releb » 11 May 2016, 2:14 pm

BBJ wrote:If I need a different cartridge there is something factory suitable enough for whatever my purpose would be.

Ditto.

I sometimes have a hair brained scheme related to some wildcat idea or another pop into my mind but something close enough already exists.

It's not like I'm the first one to the party on this or anything :lol:
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 May 2016, 3:13 pm

I could easily be talked into converting either my .223 or .243 to AI
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia