Seating depth issues

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Seating depth issues

Post by Supaduke » 11 Apr 2016, 12:24 pm

NOW ONLINE
My question is this. I have recently tried some new projectiles for my .223, namely 68gr BTHP's to try and develop a longer range round. The manual stated a COL of 2.350in . I used this as a starting point. I started at 24gr of 2206h and have worked up several incremental loads up to 24.8 . I then went to test cycle a few through the rifle. At that point I was only loading one in the top of the mag (have a DBM). I then tried to load a couple into the Mag to function test and d'oh , too long. So I had to seat them a fraction deeper to fit them into the mag. My COL is now 2.315 (bullet tip as close to the front of the mag as it will go) and on the 24.8gr loads I can feel a tiny bit of powder crunching. The manual says I can load 26gr compressed so I feel I am within a safe limit . I was wondering what the opinion of more experienced loaders might be.

P.s
Because of the mag you can't really top load, very fiddly. Only other option is to pop the mag, feed one, insert mag and repeat , but that would probably get a bit old after a while
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Re: Seating depth issues

Post by Gwion » 11 Apr 2016, 2:14 pm

Not having years of experience (only 2 years for 223 and 6 months for 7-08) and erring on the side of caution, i would be inclined to back off the charge a little and work back up to you chosen charge in 3 or 5 round groups. You may well find the performance of that load has changed significantly with the depth alteration, anyway.

Wouldn't do a full re-work, but definitely inclined to do a basic work up in 0.2gn increments, checking for accuracy and pressure signs. Better to be safe than sorry.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 12 Apr 2016, 8:29 am

Nothing wrong with compressed loads. A compressed charge more often than not gives greater consistancy. Just shoot it and look for pressure signs. In a 223 you really gonna struggle to go over pressure using 2206H.

Just a note. When I develop a new load I'll set the OAL at the max that will fit the magazine, work out what charge seems to shoot best (usually ends up being a compressed load then adjust the OAL last.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bluerob » 12 Apr 2016, 10:56 am

I'm loading .223 with the 698gn HPBT pill.

I'm only using a Tikka T3. Rounds won't feed into the magazine, so, I purchased the magazine sled that's available.

As I'm only target shooting, being single shot with the sled works perfectly.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ariat » 14 Apr 2016, 11:19 am

Supaduke wrote:My COL is now 2.315 (bullet tip as close to the front of the mag as it will go) and on the 24.8gr loads I can feel a tiny bit of powder crunching. The manual says I can load 26gr compressed so I feel I am within a safe limit . I was wondering what the opinion of more experienced loaders might be.

That's fine. Light compression is actually ideal as it will help with consistent powder burns.

Better than it sloshing around inside.
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 02 May 2016, 12:18 pm

Supaduke wrote:Only other option is to pop the mag, feed one, insert mag and repeat , but that would probably get a bit old after a while

On the second shot I would think :lol:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Rocker » 11 May 2016, 4:07 pm

It's gotten old just thinking about it :lol:
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by monbeg » 11 May 2016, 6:30 pm

Supaduke wrote:NOW ONLINE
My question is this. I have recently tried some new projectiles for my .223, namely 68gr BTHP's to try and develop a longer range round. The manual stated a COL of 2.350in . I used this as a starting point. I started at 24gr of 2206h and have worked up several incremental loads up to 24.8 . I then went to test cycle a few through the rifle. At that point I was only loading one in the top of the mag (have a DBM). I then tried to load a couple into the Mag to function test and d'oh , too long. So I had to seat them a fraction deeper to fit them into the mag. My COL is now 2.315 (bullet tip as close to the front of the mag as it will go) and on the 24.8gr loads I can feel a tiny bit of powder crunching. The manual says I can load 26gr compressed so I feel I am within a safe limit . I was wondering what the opinion of more experienced loaders might be.

P.s
Because of the mag you can't really top load, very fiddly. Only other option is to pop the mag, feed one, insert mag and repeat , but that would probably get a bit old after a while

I notice that you have a COL of 2.35 above.
I use the IMR site, they seem to have good info on COL which I have always used as a starting point (and seldom vary).
The site shows a COL of 2.235 for 65grn, that would be my starting depth.
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
monbeg
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 May 2016, 7:29 pm

On the subject of seating depth, determine the maximum overall length with the bullet seated to touch the rifling. Then measure internal magazine length. Whichever is the shortest is the O/L to be guided by. Reduce that length by say 0.020" and run some through the magazine to see if they feed.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 12 May 2016, 11:31 am

Yeah, I have settled on 2.315 overall length. Max I can go for mag length. Just working on finding the sweet spot with powder charges and type. Going to give some 2208 a try over the 2206h and see what happens. Pretty accurate so far, gets out to 500m quite nicely . Still room for improvement though.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by wheedle » 16 May 2016, 3:49 pm

Gwion wrote:Wouldn't do a full re-work, but definitely inclined to do a basic work up in 0.2gn increments, checking for accuracy and pressure signs. Better to be safe than sorry.

What do you call a full re-work? same thing in 0.1 grain inc?
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition