Reloading my .243

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading my .243

Post by Smyrnios » 19 Apr 2016, 5:00 pm

Hey guys
My name is John and I have recently bought myself a Savage .243 model 14 and started shooting at the range. I then went and bought myself a Hornady Lock n Load single press kit with all the gadgets. The guys I bought it off suggested to me to buy Hornady 105 gr AMax and in my Hornady reloading book it recommends to use use H4831 the Australian equivalent powder is AR2213SC. The H4831 starting load is 40.7gr and max load is 43.5gr the AR2213SC starting load is 38.0gr and max load 41.0gr, I am a bit confused..
I have a few more questions but this one is a good start.
Smyrnios
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Reloading my .243

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Apr 2016, 3:33 pm

Try downloading the ADI reloading guide it's online and free.

If using ADI powders I would go with what they say which is between 38 and 41gr for the 105 Amax, they list 2217 having similar pressure for around 90fps gain which could be something to consider.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Apr 2016, 6:36 pm

G'day Smyrnios,
Load data is not always determined by actual firing in test chambers. A lot of it can be from theory, and is mediated by what the publishing source thinks may get it into trouble with someones lawyers should an incident occur. There are many variables that determine pressure in a particular firearm so all data leans towards margins of safety to avoid problems and every source will have it's own opinion as to what that may be. For safetys sake, then, use the data of the powder manufacturer, in this case ADI, even though H4831 is also ADI 2213 Hodgden will make their own choice as to starting and safe maximums, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 20 Apr 2016, 7:07 pm

I'd go with the bullet makers data. More importantly is to know what signs indicate a particular charge weight is producing excessive chamber pressures. Best consult a good reloading manual and ask some experienced reloaders at the range for advice.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Smyrnios » 23 Apr 2016, 6:44 pm

Thanks Guys
Smyrnios
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Apr 2016, 9:09 pm

Yes that is correct ADI AR2213SC is the equivalent of Hodgdon H4831 BUT it is not "interchangeable with H4831 loads and vice versa. I would suggest that you start out as you suggested and work up the loads, watching for signs of excess pressure etc.

What are you going to use the 105grs on?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by WayneO » 25 Apr 2016, 10:46 pm

Different powders burn at different rates. So while AR2213SC is the equivalent of H4831, the burn rates will never be the same, so you will not get the same weight recommendations.
I have always found that the .243 Win likes to get a good kick to get it to do what it loves doing, and that's fast flat shooting. So I would say to start off with 3 bullets at 39 and then go up by 0.5 until you get to the max load. As you go check the primers and neck for any signs of pressure, but unless you have quickload stop at the max of 41. Then check to see which load gave you the best grouping.
Have fun and be safe.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by franc » 06 Jul 2016, 3:51 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Yes that is correct ADI AR2213SC is the equivalent of Hodgdon H4831 BUT it is not "interchangeable with H4831 loads and vice versa. I would suggest that you start out as you suggested and work up the loads, watching for signs of excess pressure etc.

Yes, "equivalent" is the wrong word, even though that's what ADI have chosen to call their information here: http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... alents.asp

In finer print at the bottom it explains the data is an approximation with "about 5%" margin of error.

They should be clearer initially that the powders comparable, and are not in fact equivalent.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jul 2016, 5:15 pm

Some of Hodgdens powders are actually made by ADI and are the same powder not equivalents. I e-mailed them before a trip to the U.S in 2014 to find out for sure because we had to reload over there. Damned airline 5kg limit!!! I just can't put my hands on the print-out of their reply at the moment.
If using ADI, use their recommendations.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Boatman » 12 Oct 2016, 3:28 pm

How'd they go?

Long bullets, wondered how they stabilised in the Savage
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland