Dillon reloaders, caliber conversion question

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Dillon reloaders, caliber conversion question

Post by petemacsydney » 19 Apr 2016, 7:57 pm

Any dillon reloaders out there (xl650 here).

Been loading 308's quite succesfully for quite a while now with fantastic results.

Apart from powder flick (solved by fingering the neck between stations), it's been a gr8 system for "my needs". Now in the process of setting up the 223 conversion kit and realised... I did not order a case gauge and instructions say I need one...

Question is... should I risk setting it up without the case gauge? Or am I really best to get one?

Cheers pete
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Dillon reloaders, caliber conversion question

Post by brett1868 » 19 Apr 2016, 8:57 pm

Pete,
If you are heading to the Kog tomorrow let me know or I'm in Market St Tuesdays, I have one you can borrow for a week to get set up. Did you buy the Dillon 223 carbide dies?

How I do rifle cases on the Dillon
I dry tumble the case to knock any carbon off the necks then lube them using a plastic bag and the pump pack Dillon lube. Using a spare tool head I setup just the FLRS die and run the cases through it. From there they get wet tumbled, dried (annealed if required). trimmed, chamfered and put back through the Dillon for final loading. Sounds a bit complex but its simple enough and when doing several hundred rounds is very efficient.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 19 Apr 2016, 11:06 pm

Thanks mate.

I think I might just be able to make it out to Kog in the early arvo. I'll give u a buzz tomoz as that would really help mE out.

I Need to run some trials on recipes this weekend in prep for hunt next weekend so your offer will get me out of a bind!!

Cheers
Pete

brett1868 wrote:Pete,
If you are heading to the Kog tomorrow let me know or I'm in Market St Tuesdays, I have one you can borrow for a week to get set up. Did you buy the Dillon 223 carbide dies?

How I do rifle cases on the Dillon
I dry tumble the case to knock any carbon off the necks then lube them using a plastic bag and the pump pack Dillon lube. Using a spare tool head I setup just the FLRS die and run the cases through it. From there they get wet tumbled, dried (annealed if required). trimmed, chamfered and put back through the Dillon for final loading. Sounds a bit complex but its simple enough and when doing several hundred rounds is very efficient.
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 19 Apr 2016, 11:23 pm

It's in my bag ready but I exit the kog smack on 3pm to catch the shuttle back into the city. Give me a call during the day to work out the handover. The Dillon is a bit of a pain to setup the Dillon FLRS die on cause the thread is a little too course when trying to make fine adjustments and there's no set screw on the locking collar. I've got the Dillon carbide dies but use a Hornady FLRS cause it was a bit easier to setup though the RCBS should be just as easy.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 19 Apr 2016, 11:31 pm

Thx mate. Really appreciate it.
It'll probs be about 1230 then.
Chat tomoz
Cheers p
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition