303 Reloading School me

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

303 Reloading School me

Post by AusTac » 09 May 2016, 1:49 pm

So started reloading - made and shot my first 10 rounds out of my enfield and all went well, no splinters or blood was spilt - the formula was 2.8cc ( lee dipper 38. ? grains ) of adi 2026H and a 174 gn .312 woodleigh flat base bullet with cci primers i seated those 3 mm below the maximum spec but well within the minimum and was too lazy to pull them and re seat so shot them and all was well, however i reloaded another 40 and seated them at the maximum spec which is what is recommended on the card. Any danger in this? I would assume this is just for max safety?

I'm using a classic lee loaded wack-o-matic which is slow as but works

any advice?

Cheers
Last edited by AusTac on 09 May 2016, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: 303 Reloading School me

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 May 2016, 2:14 pm

G'day AusTac,
Maximum case length data has nothing to do with safety, but is determined by what will reliably load and feed through an action or magazine. Minimum case length is determined on the same concept. Seating depth is another fish, you need to be aware of how far into the case the base of the bullet extends and what effect this has on case volume, which can affect pressure levels.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 10 May 2016, 12:24 pm

Thanks for the reply mate,

In terms of seating depth what tolerances are acceptable? I got my next 40 within about half a mil of each other is that considered sloppy?

Could this be the difference between over pressure and crazy accuracy loss?

Also if i were to come across some brass that won't chamber ( not shot in my rifle ) if i full length resized that would be find to go on and fire form yeah?

So many questions i know lol
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 10 May 2016, 1:20 pm

If you find more brass, keep it separate. Do not mix old and new. Inspect it thoroughly after cleaning it. Is it boxer primed?

Screw your FLS die out 1.5 turns, take a few cases at random and run them through. Try chambering. If unsuccessful screw the die in 1/2 turn. Keep trying etc until they chamber. You might find that the die ends up where you started. That is good. You won't have to adjust the die for the different batches.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Varmtr » 10 May 2016, 9:14 pm

Brass length can effect chamber pressure's especially if you let the brass stretch to the point that's starting to touch the throat or sometimes called the free bore. This is extreme but it can happen.
Bullet seating I normally size a case then run a thin cutting disk down the neck ( dremel ). Then put a bullet in the neck and slowly chamber a round the bullet will contact the lands and as you slowly chamber it the bullet will push back into the case. This will give you a starting point as the max overall length to the lands of the rifling with that bullet. Then adjust your bullet seater to suit then measure the bullet seater till it just touches with verniers. With this measurement you can adjust the bullet seater and measure and know exactly how far the bullet is from the lands eg adjust so you have 0.040" jump etc or 0.030" jump etc.

Also if you can afford it goto a press set up eg RCBS, Hornady etc much easier and more accurate.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wheedle » 16 May 2016, 3:53 pm

AusTac wrote:I'm using a classic lee loaded wack-o-matic which is slow as but works

Do Lee seriously call their press that? :lol:
wheedle
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 16 May 2016, 5:44 pm

Haha naah, it just requires table shaking hammering to do everything
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2