Starting out, could use some help please.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Starting out, could use some help please.

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 11 May 2016, 7:10 am

G'day guys,

So after burning through a few hundred round with my 22-250 on the weekend and seeing all the brass I have, I decided I should problebly try out this reloading thing. I have watched a few videos and kinda caught the gist of it but was wondering if you guys had any tips for me starting out.

Also I was wondering what should I buy to start, I have around $450 in the budget for this at the moment but if I could buy things in pieces that would be even better, also I only currently shoot my 22-250 (and my pcp air rifle but yea haha)

So any help would be fantastic!

Thanks guys appreciated!
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Starting out, could use some help please.

Post by Supaduke » 11 May 2016, 8:52 am

Reloading gear is like cars, everyone will have a differing opinion on what is best depending on what they use. If starting out with a $450 budget I would suggest you get a kit such as the Lee anniversary or Hornady Classic. It will have all the bits you need to get you started. Get some dies, and if only shooting the rounds in one rifle , get a neck die. Try it out, learn what you do and don't like and inevitably you will upgrade certain components. Go for a single stage press, it will be slower but will allow you to learn and understand each process much better. Don't worry about any fancy bits and pieces until you have a better handle on what is going on and what you really need. I know there will be many who will advise the buy once, cry once theory but imho a kit is much better for the novice reloader. A bullet puller and a basic tumbler would be about all I would add intially. If you are not reloading huge amounts of ammo, the kits are an excellent place to start.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 11 May 2016, 9:06 am

And some vernier calipers for measuring things is essential. The problem with buying individual components as a novice is you don't know what you need or prefer. Not to mention all the little bits and pieces you didn't know you needed. The kits are well thought out with the novice reloader in mind. You will also save a few dollars over buying the bits seperately. This is a basic list of things you would need to start reloading.
Press (with quick change bushings, makes swapping dies a million times easier)
Dies (bullet seater, full length, neck)
Case holder (holds empty case in press)
Various chamfering and deburring tools
Vernier calipers
Primer seater (hand or press mounted)
Case trimmer (not needed until cases have been used a few times)
Powder Scales (balance scales are basic but perfectly fine )
Powder hopper with thrower
Powder
Primers
Projectiles
Brass
Case lube

The following are nice things to have but not needed to get started
Tumbler
Fancy overall length measure (ogave)
Electric powder dispenser
Bullet puller
Powder trickler
Electronic scales
Upgraded press
Upgraded powder hopper
The list (and $$$$) can go on and on but really all you need is some reasonable quality basics to get started and learn the process .
The main thing with reloading is to remember....near enough is not good enough . Be precise, Be patient, Be observant, check , check, check again .
Last edited by Supaduke on 11 May 2016, 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by scotty87 » 11 May 2016, 9:15 am

Get a powder trickler ASAP also, it gets old trying to build up loads tapping on the Lee powder scoop. I just got the cheap hornady one.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 11 May 2016, 10:16 am

---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 11 May 2016, 6:20 pm

Awesome thanks guys :)

Im going to go ahead and purchase the Lee and go from there.

Is it safe enough to do on a desk in my room (large granny flat with big old s**ty heavy wood desk) or does it get dangerous with the power?
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 11 May 2016, 6:45 pm

I would also suggest before buying anything, purchase a copy of Nick Harvey's reloading manual, lots of good info on the reloading process for newbies and the more experienced as well as load data for most calibres :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by WayneO » 11 May 2016, 8:24 pm

yes the desk will be fine and will work a dream. In South Africa i have a table set up that is the size of a pool table and made from teak. Old, thick and durable is best. In Victoria I have a small 1000 x 500 old wooden table and it works just fine.
You want a decent press, then save up a little bit more and get a Lyman T Mag II KIT http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/pres ... l_Tmag.php
Oh and Google is your friend and YouTube is invaluable.
Welcome to the money pit.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 11 May 2016, 8:50 pm

Strikey wrote:I would also suggest before buying anything, purchase a copy of Nick Harvey's reloading manual, lots of good info on the reloading process for newbies and the more experienced as well as load data for most calibres :thumbsup:

+1
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 11 May 2016, 9:24 pm

juststarting wrote:
Strikey wrote:I would also suggest before buying anything, purchase a copy of Nick Harvey's reloading manual, lots of good info on the reloading process for newbies and the more experienced as well as load data for most calibres :thumbsup:

+1
t
+2, the man is a guru
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 11 May 2016, 10:37 pm

Supauke's list is pretty well spot on, the only thing I'd add is a powder funnel maybe as they are cheap and come in handy. I soldered a used 22 case to a piece of rod and use that as my "Trickler" but maybe buy one as they are cheap and save time. Many venders do a starters kit and they are all pretty much the same so that decision will come down to budget and availabity. If reloading is something you envision doing a lot of in the future then invest now on good gear rather then upgrading later down the line. I have a shelf of gear that's been cast aside for something better or faster or just didn't work how it should have. Plenty of videos on YouTube, an older 2 part series by G. David Tubb is probably a little advanced but provides some of the "Why" answers to many steps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnrYp0NH38
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Yelp » 16 May 2016, 1:58 pm

Yes, buy a good reloading manual.

Like cars, preference varies. Nick Harvey, Hornady, Speers, Nosler, all do manuals that are a wealth of information.

ADI publish raw data on their website but not much in the way of things to do, avoid, techniques etc. Follow the data by all means but it's definitely best to learn the how, what and why of reloading with a good manual (or teacher).
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition