reloading with Lyman press

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

reloading with Lyman press

Post by Robert » 12 May 2016, 9:20 am

Hi All
I am new to reloading and trying to figure out things
I have a Lyman press T Mag ll 6 hole turret with Lee 3 dies sets 243 and 6.5x55 looking for a powder measure to fit,
what would you suggest either auto or manual and what type?
also looking for set of 3 or 4 dies for 22.250 in Australia reasonable price
Robert
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: reloading with Lyman press

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 May 2016, 7:28 pm

G'day Robert,
Powder measures are very much an individual choice with everyone liking one over another. For my self. I use a combination of the Lee Auto disk, an RCBS Uniflow manual and a Lyman 55. These all work very well for any application short of benchrest or long range precision rifle. For target rifle I use a trickler and weigh every load. As for dies, I usually buy from gunshows, or Western Firearms in NSW who have alwaysgiven me great service at fair prices, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Robert » 13 May 2016, 7:49 am

cheers for the reply with the Lee auto disk dose that operate on a chain lever system ?
Robert
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 13 May 2016, 8:27 am

If you end up going down the Lee path with the powder thrower then buy the adjustable charge bar, this will allow for finer adjustments. These can be found on eBay Aus for around the $19 mark and I recommend them for anyone using the Lee Pro 1000 progressive presses.

http://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 May 2016, 8:46 am

G'day Robert,
The Pro Auto Disk uses the positive pullback chain system, but I have converted mine to spring return the same as the Auto disk, using Auto Disk parts on 2 of them, and modifying the lever and adding a small tension spring to a 3rd. They all work very well, and I no longer suffer the dreaded Lee chain break. I agree with Brett1868, the adjustable charge bar is a very good thing to have. For loading rifle cases you will need the double disk kit to get adequate powder volumes with the Pro Auto Disk. Both the manual throwers are fairly quick to use as well, once you get into a rythym, and on the turret press I find they are possibly a bit more versatile for rifle reloading than the Lee throwers. If you are loading less then 200 at a time I would buy a manual, you have a T-Mag, so get a Lyman 55 and keep it all "in the family"! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 13 May 2016, 5:17 pm

brett1868 wrote:If you end up going down the Lee path with the powder thrower then buy the adjustable charge bar, this will allow for finer adjustments. These can be found on eBay Aus for around the $19 mark and I recommend them for anyone using the Lee Pro 1000 progressive presses.

http://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html

That horrible little thing had be reaching for a 10 pound hammer. They are made really cheap and nasty and probably only one in every 10 works properly. I went through 3 before i switched back to the standard disks. Yes you get 0.1 up or down, but on 9mm that means very little. saying that however, one of my friends also went the adj charge bar route and he swears by it. Its worked well for him from day one.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Robert » 15 May 2016, 8:35 am

thank you guys by far the best reply's to my question as I have asked the same question on another form and still waiting for reply
again thank you and I have and will make the changes and look for the parts suggested
Robert
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wes » 19 May 2016, 2:03 pm

Robert wrote:thank you guys by far the best reply's to my question as I have asked the same question on another form and still waiting for reply

Other forums suck :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition