Tumbling cases doesn't fully clean them, why?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Tumbling cases doesn't fully clean them, why?

Post by Oldbloke » 01 May 2017, 3:17 pm

Shiny wastes your time and cash.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 01 May 2017, 4:11 pm

Lies! OB! Lies, you just want everyone to have messy ammo, while yours are way shiny and therefore shoot better.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 May 2017, 4:59 pm

:twisted: 8-)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 01 May 2017, 9:31 pm

[quote="juststarting"]I am noticing that when I tumble cases .223 and .308 using walnut media in a little baby tumbler, the cases come out shiny shoulders down. However, the neck still has carbon/burn residue. Especially, the area where the shoulder and the neck meets.

Stainless, pins, water and real burnishing compound is the only thing that will do the job correctly. I use a tumbler from aussiesapphire.com.au and their burnishing compound. Lyman has a good pin tumbler as well.

I have a large and medium sized tumbler drum. The smaller one does a few hundred 223 or 100-150 303 cases and up to 300-350 9mm or 200 or so 45ACP cases.
The large drum will do about 600 x 223, 400 x 303, 1000 x 9mm and 600 x 45ACP at least. Smaller loads take less time. For example, doing 200 x 223 takes one to a maximum of one and a half hours in the small drum. Same time for the others I've mentioned. In fact I never, ever run longer than 1 1/2 hours.
I suppose I'm not telling you how to get better results with dry media, but I doubt you ever will.
The logic behind cases shedding weight as a result of steel pin cleaning is ridiculous. You would have to have them tumbling for a day before you would see even a few grains lost. The cases in this photo have been tumbled at least 8 times, the number of reloads they've had.

Sam
20170501_211621.jpg
20170501_211621.jpg (512.82 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 01 May 2017, 9:47 pm

vmaxaus, we moved on mate, I have a wet tumbler now...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 02 May 2017, 4:52 am

Mulder030 wrote:I know this is a old thread but didn't want to start a new one for the same topic.

Whilst watching Youtube video's I noticed people putting some liquid cleaner (like polisher) in with the media on the tumbler. Non of them are a brand I am familiar with being on the Australia shelf. Does anyone add a form of polisher to there tumbler to bring the shine up??

I tried out a cap of nufinish in vibration tumbler I borrowed the other day came up good. Was mentioned on a few yank forums so tried it out.
Need to run it for half hour with the Polish and media before adding brass though or it clumps in cases I found on 1st try.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2017, 10:25 am

500 grams hot or warm water
125 grams vinegar
1tea spoon dish washing liquid
1 heaped tea spoon salt.

Soak for about 1 or 2 hours giving a good shake in a plastic container occasionally.

Come out fairly clean, about 90% carbon removed. But no bling.

Rinse well after to remove all acid and soap.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mulder030 » 02 May 2017, 3:04 pm

Cryptic wrote: I tried out a cap of nufinish in vibration tumbler I borrowed the other day came up good. Was mentioned on a few yank forums so tried it out.
Need to run it for half hour with the Polish and media before adding brass though or it clumps in cases I found on 1st try.

Cheers Mate, The Mrs has already brought be me home the critic acid which i am going to give a whirl. But i will definitely jot down the NuFinish for next time. :thumbsup:
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition