223 Ackley Improved - help?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

223 Ackley Improved - help?

Post by chriso72 » 21 May 2016, 5:25 pm

Hi everyone,

Chris here from Tassie. I'm a newbie here and would like to say hi to everyone and ask a question. I hope I'm in the right place? :D

Just wondering if any member here has a 223AI? Just would like an experienced opinion if I could. i.e. -

- are they really worth the extra mucking around?
- how much quicker are they compared to the normal 223 (ballistics)?
- how is case life affected?
- does anyone have all dimensions for this case?

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Chriso
chriso72
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: 223 Ackley Improved - help?

Post by Varmtr » 22 May 2016, 5:54 pm

To be honest a standard 223 will do the same job as a 223 AI. But
Normally a AI version will see about 100-150 fps faster over standard, sometimes more.
Case life is usually better as the steap shoulder angle reduce's brass flow into the neck. But annealing will also help with case life aswell this goes for both.
Forming is easy just fire form standard 223 in the 223AI chamber.
Dimensions google is your friend but reduced body taper and a 35 degree shoulder angle.
Custom dies required but should be fairly easy to get for the 223AI.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by chriso72 » 23 May 2016, 5:39 pm

Thanks Vamtr for the reply. I also need an already fire-formed case to give to my smith for headspacing. Can anyone help?
chriso72
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Strikey » 23 May 2016, 6:53 pm

chriso72 wrote:Thanks Vamtr for the reply. I also need an already fire-formed case to give to my smith for headspacing. Can anyone help?

When I had a 250AI built a few years ago my smith just wanted a couple of F/L sized cases and when the rifle was sent back he had fireformed those to the chamber he had cut, using fireformed cases from another rifle will almost certainly not work. I believe when cutting an Ackley Improved chamber the length from the base of the cartridge to the base of the neck remain the same but to allow for the shoulder to be blown out to AI dimensions a gunsmith uses the NO-GO headspace gauge as the GO gauge, happy to be corrected though ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Varmtr » 24 May 2016, 9:11 am

Dave Manson from Manson Reamers sells go / nogo gauges for the 223AI. In regards to the 223AI there are a couple of different versions either with a 35 or 40 degree shoulder angle. Also in most cases with AI improved the shoulder is moved forward slightly thus a shorter neck.
You could also get the gunsmith to make a set of custom reloading dies using the reamer to suit. Which is what I'll be doing for my 6.5 Epps.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by chriso72 » 24 May 2016, 5:06 pm

Thanks guys for your help. I have emailed Dave Manson to see if he posts to Australia. I've found a lot of American places wont ship here to Oz so I'll see if he does...
chriso72
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by chriso72 » 24 May 2016, 5:06 pm

Thanks guys for your help. I have emailed Dave Manson to see if he posts to Australia. I've found a lot of American places wont ship here to Oz so I'll see if he does...
chriso72
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Varmtr » 24 May 2016, 11:21 pm

Chriso yes Dave does ship to here as this is were my reamer is coming from.
If your not set on a 223AI have a look at either a 20 Tac or a 20 Practical both based of a 223 excellent cartridges. Or even a 223AI necked down to 20.
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek061.html
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition