Powder/Propellant

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Powder/Propellant

Post by bluerob » 23 May 2016, 10:58 am

I was wondering what propellant most guys are using for reloading pistols.

I've been a regular user of ADI, but, getting hold of the large bottles is an ongoing drama for some reason. Its been nearly 12 months since we were told "we are back on track...." and my LGS stores aren't over run?

Anybody had much experience in using Winchester pistol propellant?

I'm looking at reloading 9mm and .38sp/.357 - target loads only and not hot loads.

Thanks

Rob.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Powder/Propellant

Post by brett1868 » 23 May 2016, 11:52 am

I mainly use AP70 & AP100 cause I can get the 2kg bottles relatively easy and they last a while. I was going to test some loads using AP50 but can't seem to find it in stock with the 3 shops I deal with. No point spending the time and money developing a load if component supply isn't up to scratch.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 23 May 2016, 1:51 pm

Brett, thanks for your comment.

I find that AP50 has slightly less "crack" compared to AP70. Not so much on recoil, just the feel.

As you'd be aware, getting back on target when shooting matches is critical. Having your barrel up for 1 sec can mean your out of the running and targets have turned.

AP70 is easy to get, whereas the AP50 is rare. Then you hear and read that ADI are looking to release something called AP50S? I've written to ADI about this and didn't get an answer to my actual question.

I'm using the ADI AS30 for .38sp/.357 Mag which seems ok.

Have you tried any Winchester pistol propellant?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 May 2016, 2:10 pm

G'day bluerob,
If you want to try it, Winchester 231 will load over a range of calibers and projectile weights. It was one of the most widely used powders before Mulwex/ADI came on the sporting scene so load data is very easy to find. If it's available more reliably near you. the Alliant powders like Blue Dot etc are quite popular with many shooters. Another Win powder I used a lot was 630, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bluerob » 24 May 2016, 10:49 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bluerob,
If you want to try it, Winchester 231 will load over a range of calibers and projectile weights. It was one of the most widely used powders before Mulwex/ADI came on the sporting scene so load data is very easy to find. If it's available more reliably near you. the Alliant powders like Blue Dot etc are quite popular with many shooters. Another Win powder I used a lot was 630, Cheers.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of giving 231 and the Autoloader a go. I'll buy these two and trial them on 9mm guns that I have.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 15 Jun 2016, 4:15 pm

AP50 is back in stock at Safari, Horsley Park and Magnum and this would probably be my first choice.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 16 Jun 2016, 8:11 am

bigM wrote:AP50 is back in stock at Safari, Horsley Park and Magnum and this would probably be my first choice.

I've been hearing this from a few mates.

Might have to drive to Sydney :roll:

Thanks
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 16 Jun 2016, 11:53 pm

On 20 April I purchased 2 x 500g AP50 from HPGS for $50 each.
On 26 May I purchased 2 x 2kg from Safari for $150 each (this was labeled as packaged in Feb 2016).
On 8 June Magnum posted on their Facebook page that they had AP50 2kg for $139 and 500g for $49

Last time AP50 was available in Sydney was December 2014 and it lasted 3 days.

Appears that there are a few 2kg bottles around but you might want to ring and pay before coming down.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 17 Jun 2016, 12:23 am

Picked up 2 x 2kg from Magnums this afternoon along with some new pistols. They had plenty left but I'd get in quick, $139 is a bargain compared to other shops and won't last long. According to ADI there is no shortage, a powder goes outta stock so the next time it's in stock people bulk buy and hoard it. If we just bought what we needed as we needed it then apparently there wouldn't be any shortages....Yeah right :sarcasm:
The solution I've found is to have several different loads using different powder / projectile combinations. A lot of work developing loads but worth it in the long run, plus it gives me an excuse to shoot more :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 17 Jun 2016, 8:22 am

brett1868 wrote:Picked up 2 x 2kg from Magnums this afternoon along with some new pistols. They had plenty left but I'd get in quick, $139 is a bargain compared to other shops and won't last long. According to ADI there is no shortage, a powder goes outta stock so the next time it's in stock people bulk buy and hoard it. If we just bought what we needed as we needed it then apparently there wouldn't be any shortages....Yeah right :sarcasm:
The solution I've found is to have several different loads using different powder / projectile combinations. A lot of work developing loads but worth it in the long run, plus it gives me an excuse to shoot more :D

Brett

Dont know about you, but, I'm finding the "retail gun world" a very different world to what it once was. I know that times are different, but, aren't there more shooters than ever before and increasing?

One LGS tells me AP50 will never be made, another tells me that Winchester Powder will never be available in Australia again and another says "yep, I've got it."

I've got an order in with a dealer up here. Otherwise, I'm Sydney bound....I hate the traffic....
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ozbluei » 18 Jun 2016, 5:25 pm

Bought 2kg AP50N today in Sydney.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition