Anyone used the new hawkesbury river coating ?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Anyone used the new hawkesbury river coating ?

Post by Drew » 27 May 2016, 1:01 pm

Just wondering if anyone has used hawkesbury river bullets since the change of hands, with the new coating ? I was talking to them the other day and said its the same coating but gunmetal grey with gold fleks. Anyone used them yet ? Are they the same ?
Drew
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Anyone used the new hawkesbury river coating ?

Post by Drew » 14 Jun 2016, 10:38 am

Yeh and wont be back either from what they have said. I emailed the new owner and he sent me a updated product and price list. You can still buy them online just through email not an online store. Pitty as the online store was great and easy to use. Pisses me off too lol as I have been winning comps with my 9mm and have a absolute tack driver of a load (took some work too) but now I have to start all over again as they have changed. Why you would buy a well known and well used company and change the product and get rid of the online store is beyond me. And as I'm in nth QLD the move further south has doubled the freight cost for me. So I'll probably end up trying some locally made projectiles now as they are MUCH cheaper but have to do the load development all over again....
Drew
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Arth » 14 Jun 2016, 10:45 am

What's this coating about?

I couldn't see anything on their website.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Drew » 14 Jun 2016, 8:44 pm

He told me that they are not doing the silver hawke, black hawke, copper hawkes as such. They are just doing one coating. They say it's the same coating just one colour. Gun metal grey with gold flakes
Drew
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 15 Jun 2016, 9:23 am

Drew wrote:Yeh and wont be back either from what they have said. I emailed the new owner and he sent me a updated product and price list. You can still buy them online just through email not an online store. Pitty as the online store was great and easy to use. Pisses me off too lol as I have been winning comps with my 9mm and have a absolute tack driver of a load (took some work too) but now I have to start all over again as they have changed. Why you would buy a well known and well used company and change the product and get rid of the online store is beyond me. And as I'm in nth QLD the move further south has doubled the freight cost for me. So I'll probably end up trying some locally made projectiles now as they are MUCH cheaper but have to do the load development all over again....

Mind sharing what your load data was/is and what handgun are you using when winning comps please?

I'm about to pick up a new Custom Extreme Tanfog and I like reading what other cooks come up with.

Cheers.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Drew » 20 Jun 2016, 11:00 pm

3.4 of ap70. Pushing a 125gn hrbc black hawke round nose. Out of my sig p226 X5. It loved the Winchester white box 60rnd bulk packs as factory ammo so I copied that and fine tuned. It started to malfunction at 3.2gn so went upto 3.4 where I found the best accuracy, reliability and soft shooting (the wife shoots it too) Nice soft shooting load but with my 5 inch barrel I'm still getting 1200fps which more than makes power factor. I have put in a lot of range time this year, and with the practice and this load I have been racking up the first places. Which is why I'm worried about starting load development all over again...
Drew
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigM » 21 Jun 2016, 7:59 am

That is a bit faster than I would have expected.
With a 135gr RN copperhawke, 3.6gr AP70 and short OAL (1.095) I was getting 980 fps in a CZ Shadow.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 21 Jun 2016, 8:38 am

Drew wrote:3.4 of ap70. Pushing a 125gn hrbc black hawke round nose. Out of my sig p226 X5. It loved the Winchester white box 60rnd bulk packs as factory ammo so I copied that and fine tuned. It started to malfunction at 3.2gn so went upto 3.4 where I found the best accuracy, reliability and soft shooting (the wife shoots it too) Nice soft shooting load but with my 5 inch barrel I'm still getting 1200fps which more than makes power factor. I have put in a lot of range time this year, and with the practice and this load I have been racking up the first places. Which is why I'm worried about starting load development all over again...

Ok, cheers. I'm using AP50 with 3.3gns of powder with 138gn Round nose in my X5 and the rounds I had were nice.

Took the Tanfog Extreme out for a run and had some jams, but, that'll be fixed by seating the pill a bit deeper.

Yep, once you get a sweet load, having to start all over again ain't great.

Have you tried any of the other pills (Black Widow, TopScore etc)?
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Drew » 16 Jul 2016, 3:47 pm

No I haven't tried any others yet. Or ap50. I wish they sold projectiles in tester bags of 50-100 lol so you can try them out. The extra freight cost now hawkesbury river are further south prices them out for me. I might try vindicator as they are local to me. But they don't make a 124 / 125 gn round nose bb. So I would have to change to either a 125gn conical or a 135gn round nose. Which sucks because it shoots so well with this load.
Drew
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition