124gr topscore RN 9mm load

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

124gr topscore RN 9mm load

Post by ozbluei » 05 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

Hi all. Usually I load 135gr lead projectiles in my glock 34 but I have a box of 124gr topscore RN BB that I want to load up.

No data on the ADI website for 124gr lead, but I assume the 125gr data will be close enough. I've got AP50N and AP70N on
hand. For AP50N, it suggests 2.5-3.2gr. AP70N 3.8-4.3gr. Does anyone load these projectiles ? Mind sharing what load works for you ?

Previously, I loaded some 120gr topscore with 3.3gr AP50N (recommended 3.0-3.5gr) but they didn't cycle the slide reliably and when I load 135gr with AP50N (recommended 2.3-3.3), anything less than 3.3 gr also gives plenty of malfunctions. So my second question is: should I just load to the max on the API website ? Because I feel that their data is very conservative. Certainly perceived recoil is much less with my reloads than factory ammo and anything less I've tried hasn't cycled the gun reliably.

Obviously I'll do a couple of batches of 20 rounds before I load the whole box but would love to hear people's opinion.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: 124gr topscore RN 9mm load

Post by Baldrick314 » 05 Jun 2016, 8:59 pm

I use the 124 topscores in my G34. I run 3.2 of AP50 and it is a very mild load. When I dropped to 3gr it wouldn't cycle. 3.2gr gives me right around 1000fps. You could easily bump up to 3.5 or so without any issues for a slightly stouter load that reliably makes power factor.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ozbluei » 08 Jun 2016, 6:31 pm

Thanks for that. I'll post this in case someone else searches here in the future.

I made 4 loads to try with the 124gr Topscore LRN

1/ 3.3gr AP50N: didn't cycle the slide reliably and gave me a lot of malfunctions. Wonder why works well in your gun and not in mine ?
2/ 3.5gr AP50N: worked well. Although this is above the max load given on ADI website
3/ 4.0gr AP70N: worked well - noticeably more recoil than AP50N
4/ 4.2gr AP70N: worked well, felt like factory ammo and grouped the best.

One thing I noticed is that I had to seat these projectiles to COL of 1.110 to pass the 'plunk test' in my glock. Previously I've seated the 135gr to 1.140.

Anyhow, will load these projectiles up with 4.2gr AP70N.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 08 Jun 2016, 10:52 pm

ozbluei wrote:Wonder why works well in your gun and not in mine ?

How many rounds do you reckon your pistols fired mate? Mine was 2nd hand so no way of knowing before it came to me but I've put probably 3000 through it at a conservative guess. Could just be mines a bit more worn in. Could also be differences in crimp or seating depth, cases and primers that's changing pressure causing mine to function with the lesser load.

I've got mine seated to 1.105", mag tech primers and huge variety of brass.

Thanks for sharing the info :)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hollywood » 10 Jun 2016, 6:50 pm

Other than the 'plunk test' what does the COL change with regard to the performance of the round?

I'm currently loading 135gb RNBB Vindicator projectiles and am at the recommended maximum of 4.2gn of AP70. I'm seating them at 1.160, the COL in the book suggests 1.168. Everything works well other than I seem to get a dirty trigger finger from some gases that are obviously making their way down through the trigger mechanism and onto my finger.
Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by ozbluei » 10 Jun 2016, 7:40 pm

That COL is a maximum length - what will fit in the magazine and enough contact between the case and the bullet so the round doesn't fall apart. Depending on the gun and the projectile, may or may not chamber depending if the projectile contacts the lands of the barrel.

The shorter the COL, the greater the pressure for a particular powder load and the easier it will feed from the magazine. As far as accuracy goes, I doubt it makes much difference - especially the way I shoot a pistol !
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 10 Jun 2016, 8:40 pm

These guys have a heap of info on their YouTube channel that's worth checking out. They cover seating depths amongst many other topics, more so aimed at the 1911 / 2011 pistols but some lessons can be adopted to suit other types.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqETVoSDI7MrdX62XvkQt-g
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baldrick314 » 10 Jun 2016, 9:33 pm

Biggest influence overall length has on performance is on pressure due to available space for powder in the case but it also impacts feeding from the mag. I had mine seated out a bit longer but I had some failure to feed because it would hit the feed ramp and basically flip up into a stovepipe position. Seating projectiles back approximately 15-20 thou solved it.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 11 Jun 2016, 9:22 am

Baldrick314 wrote:Biggest influence overall length has on performance is on pressure due to available space for powder in the case but it also impacts feeding from the mag. I had mine seated out a bit longer but I had some failure to feed because it would hit the feed ramp and basically flip up into a stovepipe position. Seating projectiles back approximately 15-20 thou solved it.

Exactly what happened with a Sig X5 that I've got. Now its a tack driver at 25m.

A H&K that I have will eat anything though. Never had a stove pipe or malfunction of any type. Must be the "service" application?

I'm trying another H&K out this weekend with some different loads which will be interesting to see.

I've got a Tanfog Extreme Custom arriving soon which will need a look at also with loads.

If only I could get a decent amount of AP50.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jun 2016, 7:08 pm

If only I could get a decent amount of AP50.

How much do you call decent? I picked up 2kg a few days ago and they had plenty of stock. PM me for details :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 17 Jun 2016, 4:17 pm

Must be all gone already looking at that epic collection of brass in the 'how much to you reload topic' Brett :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hollywood » 25 Jun 2016, 10:47 am

Biggest influence overall length has on performance is on pressure due to available space for powder in the case but it also impacts feeding from the mag. I had mine seated out a bit longer but I had some failure to feed because it would hit the feed ramp and basically flip up into a stovepipe position. Seating projectiles back approximately 15-20 thou solved it.

I've been experimenting with different COLs, for the 135gn projectile they suggest a max COL of 1.168". I haven't had any issues with the actual operation of the gun but have been trying to isolate what is causing the issue with my dirty trigger finger!

I initially started loading at 3.2 (using AP70N) but that caused feed issues and my trigger finger was black after 100 rounds!

So I upped the charge gradually and ended up towards the top end of the range with 3.9gn, the max suggested by ADI is 4.2. This produced the least residue on my finger.

Then I started playing around with the COL which I hadn't considered before. (I'm new to this reloading business!)

So I ended up with a COL of 1.100" and this has given me the best results although the rounds are still not as 'clean' as factory ammo. I'm wondering if I should back off the charge a little and see what effect that has.

I have a theory that with the projectile seated further out, it is being ejected from the case at a lower pressure that is being reached before all the powder is burnt. Could be all bollocks though!

ps. My 'fascination' (as someone called it) with my dirty trigger finger is just because I don't get it with factory ammo.
Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by ozbluei » 25 Jun 2016, 8:33 pm

been trying to isolate what is causing the issue with my dirty trigger finger

It's the AP70N. I find AP50N to be much cleaner.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 25 Jun 2016, 9:10 pm

been trying to isolate what is causing the issue with my dirty trigger finger

Use more paper :lol:

Here's one for you....was shooting tonight with as mate and was trying some Lapua 22LR in the little Beretta and It smelled awesome. Sort of like a sweet cake or biscuit smell, nothing like the usual 22LR smell. Shot a heap of 38Spl loaded with AP70 and it's quite smokey compared to AP50 which may account for your dirty finger. One benefit of the smokey powders is that you'll know what your farts will smell like tomorrow.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Hollywood » 26 Jun 2016, 9:44 am

Apologise for hijacking your thread a bit ozbluei.

It's the AP70N. I find AP50N to be much cleaner.

Might have to give the AP50 a run when I run out of AP70 then. I'm getting good performance out of my 3.9 loads with 135gn Vindicator projectiles and Magtech primers so will stick with that for the moment.
Hollywood
Private
Private

Queensland

Re:Black widow 125gr SWC 9mm load

Post by Stefan Tomerini » 25 Jan 2021, 12:49 pm

Hi wondering if anyone had any load data for 125Gr SWC bevel base Black widow please

Cheers
ST
Stefan Tomerini
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition