Case head separation on new brass?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Case head separation on new brass?

Post by tuffstuff » 11 Nov 2013, 8:35 am

Hi guys,

I tried to get a picture of this but the details is just too small for my phone camera.

I have some new brass, and brass which has been shot once or twice with well below max loads.

There seems to be a tiny ring that looks (to a novice) to be the start of case head separation.

It's ultra fine, on some you really have to examine it to see it.

Doesn't feel raised or weak, it's just a slightly different colour ring around it.

Even on the new brass...

:?
.243 Remington 700™ BDL™
Bushnell Banner 6-24x40mm Mil Dot
tuffstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Case head separation on new brass?

Post by Lorgar » 11 Nov 2013, 10:19 am

I think I know the marks you mean.

It could be from your full length sizing die? The die obviously doesn't actually go the full length of the brass because the shell holder is gripping the bottom of the brass.

The mark could be from where the die stops during resizing.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 11 Nov 2013, 5:39 pm

Case head separation usually a bit more prominent than what you're describing, especially if you know the brass is brand new.

I'd also suggest seating die marks if that's what you're using.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by bawoog » 12 Nov 2013, 8:24 am

If you look up a cross section of a case, there is often a slight difference in the wall thickness where the head turns into the body of the case.

Like everyone said, new brass wouldn't have any separation as it obviously hasn't been fired.

You could always dremel one of your own cases to see for yourself, if only for piece of mind.
bawoog
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 16 Nov 2013, 11:12 am

bawoog wrote:You could always dremel one of your own cases to see for yourself, if only for piece of mind.

Yep that would work, but first examine the inside of the case, with a thin piece of wire (paper clip or similar) with a small 90degree bend on it. Sharpen up the end of this bend with a smooth file.

Use it to run up and down the inside of the case in the area in question. As stated above case separation is a definite failing of the brass and as that area gets thinner you can feel the hook of the wire dip into the thin section of case wall.

I use this technique on my hornet brass. It is very thin and hot loads can have dramatic brass flow. It is better to be slower and accurate than fast with a short life span.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blackened » 16 Nov 2013, 2:55 pm

Bills Shed wrote:Yep that would work, but first examine the inside of the case, with a thin piece of wire ( paper clip or similar) with a small 90degree bend on it. Sharpen up the end of this bend with a smooth file.
Use it to run up and down the inside of the case in the area in question. As stated above case separation is a definite failing of the brass and as that area gets thinner you can feel the hook of the wire dip into the thin section of case wall.

Definitely this first. Halving a casing with a dremel is going to be a huge pain in the ass :lol:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by tuffstuff » 11 Feb 2014, 2:17 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

I just kept an eye on them for the past few months and have since reloaded them all 4-5 more times.

The mark hasn't got any worse and I haven't had any problems with any of the brass, so it's obviously not case head separation.

Just marks from the die or whatever like you guys have suggestion. All good in any case :D
.243 Remington 700™ BDL™
tuffstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by tuffstuff » 11 Apr 2014, 11:14 am

Update to this.

I've put another few loads through this brass and did end up cutting one in half to check it out.

No problems as far as I can see. (Bit of a newb but no obvious problems to me anyway).
.243 Remington 700™ BDL™
tuffstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by bawoog » 11 Apr 2014, 11:16 am

Good stuff.

Probably now is actually the time to start paying more attention to it that you're up around the 10 shot mark.

Nothing to stress over though, don't expect them to all fail tomorrow :lol:

Just keep an eye on 'em.
bawoog
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Old Fart » 11 Apr 2014, 11:17 am

tuffstuff wrote:No problems as far as I can see. (Bit of a newb but no obvious problems to me anyway).

If one has started to go it's usually pretty pronounced, especially if you're looking at the inside after opening a case.

Sounds to me like you're fine.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition