ADI or other ausssie powder for cast loads

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

ADI or other ausssie powder for cast loads

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jun 2016, 7:51 am

Getting back into casting after along break, and was wondering if anyone had info or links for good cast loads for the 303 British. I'm using 185 grain gas check projectiles, but am having trouble finding a good powder to use . Plenty of info on the U.S sites of course, but not much here. I'm hoping some ADI shot shell powders might be the go. Plus any ideas on fillers being used these days( apart from Bran!!!!) Any links or thoughts very much appreciated, cheers :)
Member-Deleted

Re: ADI or other ausssie powder for cast loads

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2016, 12:18 pm

If you look at the adi loading manual there is a chart to indicate powder equivelants. Once you find a load that looks worth trying just look uo the adi equivelent. And Bobs your uncle. Just be aware they are not exact and start low.

Ans yes some of the adi shot gun powders can be used for cast loads.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by auriga3 » 17 Jun 2016, 3:32 pm

Gday,i am going to try Trail Boss 13.5gn behind a 180gn HRBC bullet.No need to gas check.no need for fillers as Trail Boss fills the case.I found this 1 find where base of bullet is located & mark it on outside of case.Fill case to that mark with TrailBoss powder then weigh THIS IS MAX LOAD
2 take 70% of the powder charge (multiply the Max load by .7) This will be STARTING LOAD
3 Start with Minimum Load (Starting Load)& work up in .5gn increments to find accurate load,should come in at 70-100%density
auriga3
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by newsteadvic » 18 Jun 2016, 11:19 am

This is some information that the ADI sent to me (their email information service for reloaders is slow but effective) for loading the 303 with ADI powders:

The Lyman cast bullet book has more data using Hodgdon powders, some of which are just re-packaged ADI powders. Trailboss is also a very easy powder to use with cast although will only provided low velocities. For medium velocities with cast I really like AR2206H (called Hodgdon 4895 in the USA), following the Hodgdon 60% rule;
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Red ... 0Loads.pdf

I have not reloaded for 303 but have had good results with AP70N, Trail Boss and AR2206H and cast in the 30-30 and 308.
newsteadvic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Jun 2016, 7:57 pm

Trail-boss is a great powder with cast bullets in any caliber. The one thing you cannot do is compress it.
AP-70N works well in reduced loads and in my experience is not position sensitive. I shoot thousands of rounds of reduced loads in rifle calibers ( lever guns ) every year and have found it very consistent and accurate. While I haven't used it in a .303 I do use it in a .38-55 and it would be lucky to fill 20% of the case.
I Would not recommend any fillers, you are just adding another variable. I have spoken with a well published American gun writer on the subject and he strongly advises not using them.
Hope it all goes well for you
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jul 2016, 12:43 pm

Thanks for all the feedback everyone; I don't get much computer time these last few months, so it can take me weeks to reply to these forums. Found a supply of trail Boss at a "local" gunshop, so I'll try that first....cheers
Member-Deleted

Return to Reloading ammunition