First time reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: First time reloading

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jun 2016, 8:42 pm

happyhunter wrote:Why the obsession with shiny brass?

We have a few bower birds here.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 20 Jun 2016, 9:45 pm

It looks great isnt that reason enough the old brass looked pre tumbling looked rather dirty finished up with brass cleaner than when i bought it. Plus the theory of its surgically clean its not going to potentially foul or damage anything :drinks:
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 21 Jun 2016, 8:40 am

POD89 wrote:
brett1868 wrote:

Clean brass is happy brass and happy brass performs better :D

and its pretty to look at....

And a bit easier to find splits when you're about to dump 1000 cases into a tub.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 21 Jun 2016, 10:02 am

brett1868 wrote:

I understand clean brass. I use an ultrasonic cleaner for that, but it is the obsession with getting to shine that seems a waste of effort and time.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by brett1868 » 21 Jun 2016, 10:26 am

A bit more of a serious answer, clean brass is an aid to consistency which is key to precision. By starting with brass that's surgically clean both inside and out you are removing a few variables. Carbon build up within the primer pocket can lead to inconsistent seating depths and flash patern into case. Carbon build up within the case will affect the "Burn" differently which leads to variations in velocity and therefore precision. Carbon build up on the case neck / shoulder will affect case clamping force on the chamber and impact velocity, leading to lower precision. I'm chasing less than 10fps deviation per 5 shot group which takes a huge amount of prep to achieve (in the calibres I shoot), my best so far is 15fps standard deviation (5 shot) though I can get that consistently. Case prep is but a part of a larger process, Bullet prep is just as time consuming but that's a whole other topic.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 21 Jun 2016, 10:26 am

happyhunter wrote:
brett1868 wrote:

I understand clean brass. I use an ultrasonic cleaner for that, but it is the obsession with getting to shine that seems a waste of effort and time.

I've got alot of time on my hands these days, so, spending say 2-3 hours tumbling brass isn't a big deal, as such. I just turn it on and check it after 2 or 3 hours.

I'm looking for a 2 or 3 transducer ultrasonic cleaner that'll do both pistols and brass (not at the same time), but, I've smashed my bank account buying guns and reloading gear after getting out of shooting. Lucky there's no wife looking over my shoulder (Hi Brett :clap: ). I'm currently saving for a Schmidt & Bender scope. :violin:

I'm not worried about looking "nice & shiney" but more so for damaged cases. Just makes it bit easier to see cracked or split brass. That's my idea.

I've usually got enough spare brass to load for a few days at the range......
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TheDude » 21 Jun 2016, 12:32 pm

Wet tumbling really doesn't take that long. I tumble my black powder cases as soon as I get home from the range and let them run while cleaning the rifles. Have to do the snider separate to the 45-70 and 577/450 as the smaller cases get stuck in the snider brass and don't clean as well.

For smokeless I have a few batches of brass for each cal and just throw a batch in to tumble for a few hours while I'm loading something else. Can load up a 100+ rounds while the cases are tumbling. Only takes a few minutes to sort the cases out from the pins for a rinse off and put them out to dry when they are done.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 21 Jun 2016, 4:56 pm

bluerob wrote:
happyhunter wrote:
brett1868 wrote:

I've got alot of time on my hands these days, so, spending say 2-3 hours tumbling brass isn't a big deal, as such. I just turn it on and check it after 2 or 3 hours.

I'm looking for a 2 or 3 transducer ultrasonic cleaner that'll do both pistols and brass (not at the same time), but, I've smashed my bank account buying guns and reloading gear after getting out of shooting. Lucky there's no wife looking over my shoulder (Hi Brett :clap: ). I'm currently saving for a Schmidt & Bender scope. :violin:

I'm not worried about looking "nice & shiney" but more so for damaged cases. Just makes it bit easier to see cracked or split brass. That's my idea.

I've usually got enough spare brass to load for a few days at the range......

My guns are for hunting so I'm only loading 100 cases at a time per rifle so it's not a huge effort. I do the normal deburr of flash holes and uniform the primer pockets when the brass is new then use the ultrasonic cleaner for each cycle and find it does a nice job as long as you don't the drying time. Each case gets inspected before trimming and priming and in two decades of reloading I haven't had any disasters.. yet :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wanneroo » 22 Jun 2016, 11:32 am

A clean and shiny brass doesn't require that much effort to and makes it easier to find flaws in brass. I use a wet tumbler, distilled water, stainless pins, citric acid and a splash of Hornady case cleaning solution. Put that on for 2 hours and you've cleaned out primer pocket residue, buildup inside and outside of the case. Rinse in water and into the brass dryer for an hour and a half.

I've used an ultrasonic cleaner and that is OK but the tumbler is the best and scrubs the cases clean better.

Starting out I was on a budget and just tooling up for reloading so I simply used a 5 gallon bucket and the solution above and stirred with a broomstick. Got a good workout and it got the brass clean enough to load.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 22 Jun 2016, 7:31 pm

wanneroo wrote:A clean and shiny brass doesn't require that much effort to and makes it easier to find flaws in brass. I use a wet tumbler, distilled water, stainless pins, citric acid and a splash of Hornady case cleaning solution. Put that on for 2 hours and you've cleaned out primer pocket residue, buildup inside and outside of the case. Rinse in water and into the brass dryer for an hour and a half.

I've used an ultrasonic cleaner and that is OK but the tumbler is the best and scrubs the cases clean better.

Starting out I was on a budget and just tooling up for reloading so I simply used a 5 gallon bucket and the solution above and stirred with a broomstick. Got a good workout and it got the brass clean enough to load.

:shock: a broom stick :shock:
I had to wait quite a while for my licence so i had a lot of time to save for reloading gear. Best bit of gear I've bought and on the plus side im really enjoying the reloading process and the finer details.

Definitely have to experiment with cleaning products for the tumbler see what works best
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bluerob » 23 Jun 2016, 7:52 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:
wanneroo wrote:A clean and shiny brass doesn't require that much effort to and makes it easier to find flaws in brass. I use a wet tumbler, distilled water, stainless pins, citric acid and a splash of Hornady case cleaning solution. Put that on for 2 hours and you've cleaned out primer pocket residue, buildup inside and outside of the case. Rinse in water and into the brass dryer for an hour and a half.

I had to wait quite a while for my licence so i had a lot of time to save for reloading gear. Best bit of gear I've bought and on the plus side im really enjoying the reloading process and the finer details.

Definitely have to experiment with cleaning products for the tumbler see what works best

One of the "old blokes" in my club buys pearl barley from Woolworths and cheap car polish from SuperCheap. His brass is as as clean as mine and I'm using the Lyman Corn Cob which is about $50 per bottle.

If I remember, I'll grab some and give this a go. Alot cheaper than buying media.
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TheDude » 23 Jun 2016, 8:11 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:

The MP-103 burnishing compound that Aussie sapphire sell works great. Couple of spoonfuls even on the really dirty black powder cases gets them cleaner than new.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Jun 2016, 8:01 pm

TheDude wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:

The MP-103 burnishing compound that Aussie sapphire sell works great. Couple of spoonfuls even on the really dirty black powder cases gets them cleaner than new.

Agreed dont know whats in it but does a great job :drinks:
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 25 Jun 2016, 5:34 pm

So got my first 20 cases loaded up ready for the range. Will be interesting to see how they compare to factory ammo :drinks:
Attachments
20160625_171334.jpg
20160625_171334.jpg (495.96 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Jun 2016, 9:49 am

brett1868 wrote:A bit more of a serious answer, clean brass is an aid to consistency which is key to precision. By starting with brass that's surgically clean both inside and out you are removing a few variables. Carbon build up within the primer pocket can lead to inconsistent seating depths and flash patern into case. Carbon build up within the case will affect the "Burn" differently which leads to variations in velocity and therefore precision. Carbon build up on the case neck / shoulder will affect case clamping force on the chamber and impact velocity, leading to lower precision. I'm chasing less than 10fps deviation per 5 shot group which takes a huge amount of prep to achieve (in the calibres I shoot), my best so far is 15fps standard deviation (5 shot) though I can get that consistently. Case prep is but a part of a larger process, Bullet prep is just as time consuming but that's a whole other topic.

Brett, you need to start shooting BPCR, S.D's of single digits over 10 shot strings are the "norm" :D
Everything you said is especially true and critical in loading blackpowder. Build up of crud inside the case reduces volume, critical in black-powder, as it will then change the compression on the load, ( no air gap when loading black ) and creates inconsistencies from case to case. Not good! Inside case neck needs to be spotless also as it affects neck tension on the bullet. Ditto for outside, it is all about consistency from shot to shot.
Clean brass is accurate brass. :thumbsup:
Don't get me started on bullet prep for BPCR, OMFG! :crazy:
This can be the result, 3 shots from 40-70 straight @ 500m, 1874 Shiloh Sharps, vernier tang sights.
Attachments
40-70 group.jpg
40-70 group.jpg (137.74 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 27 Jun 2016, 12:56 am

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:

I started out on a budget and as you go along in reloading you acquire better equipment over time, but yes when I started it was a bucket and a stick. I'd let the brass sit in the solution for about 2 hours and just gave it a stir with a broom stick every so often. Doesn't work as well as a tumbler but it got the brass clean enough to get the job done. I kinda laugh when I think back on it now, but you do what you have to do.

Citric acid and some Hornady case cleaning solution gives me the best results. Citric acid in small quantities will not hurt brass and it's a time tested method going back decades.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition