243 win reloading with vmax 87gr and nosler 90gr

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

243 win reloading with vmax 87gr and nosler 90gr

Post by Foal8686 » 24 Jun 2016, 7:02 pm

Hi, I'm new to reloading and want to do my first batch with Adi ar2209 with vmax 87gr and nosler 90gr balistic tips. The trouble I'm having is finding load info for these two projectiles, I have looked at the Adi data and both are not on there. Where could I find the load info for these two using Ar2209? Are you able to cross reference the powder to another brand and use that data with the projectiles I have got? Thanks
Foal8686
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 243 win reloading with vmax 87gr and nosler 90gr

Post by Mick280 » 27 Jun 2016, 9:17 pm

G,Day Mate
Have another look at your ADI load data,There is 90g load data there from memory!!!
It does not have to be projectile brand specific,Just work on the weight.
I use 90g Nosler's in my .243 with 2209,I haven't got my load data with me but I'm sure the load is a around 43 - 44gns which from memory is a couple of gns under max!!
Good luck.Mick
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 27 Jun 2016, 11:01 pm

Nosler load data-
www.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/243-winchester

Try google for Hornady load data
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ozbluei » 28 Jun 2016, 3:53 pm

The data is on their website.

36.0-43.5 gr AR2209 for 87gr projectiles

42.0-44.5 gr AR2209 for 90gr projectiles.
ozbluei
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Foal8686 » 28 Jun 2016, 6:18 pm

Ok thanks for the info , I wasn't sure if it had to be the brand specific or just the same weight. Thought I better ask, just in case. I have since got the hornady manual and checked the info. Thanks very much
Foal8686
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 243 reloading

Post by PALLADIN » 22 Jul 2016, 10:45 pm

I have wondered why there is a large difference in powder charge between ADI & Nick Harvey. Example .243 with 70grn Sierra HP & AR2209 x 39 ( min ) 43.5 ( max ). ADI
Nick Harvey has AR2209 x 43 (min ) 48 (max). Uncle Nick states that these loads work in his guns. I have used loads of AR2209 x 44 to 47 with no problems, up to now. . Most manuals states to load Max loads with CAUTION .... which Maximum do you consider ?
PS great Website !
PALLADIN
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Bourt » 25 Jul 2016, 10:38 am

PALLADIN wrote:which Maximum do you consider ?

You've basically answered your own question there.

There is no universal maximum. It's what the operator deems safe.

For the purposes of the conversation lets say the 'maximum' the point there is a structural failure in any part of the rifle.

Two rifles chambered for the same cartridge could be built of different steels and having different strength properties. Quality/intelligence of design is a factor. Brute strength is a factor, e.g. thicker barrel/chamber, more/strong locking lugs, etc. etc.

You could have a brand new rifle build with modern precision and technologies, or a 100 year old one.

You could have a 100 year old rifle which has been maintained poorly, or maintained excellently.

Nick has tested the loads in his rifles and found them to be safe. You're shooting your rifles though, not his.

Power manufacturers are responsible (liable) for the data they publish. As a rule of thumb their data will be more conservative as they have to consider a broad spectrum of potential uses and safety is of much greater concern than bleeding edge performance.

The manuals are there to be followed. If you take it upon yourself to push the envelope that's on you, so be aware of the safety concerns and considerations and proceed accordingly.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Wobble » 26 Jul 2016, 1:09 pm

Foal8686 wrote:Hi, I'm new to reloading and want to do my first batch with Adi ar2209 with vmax 87gr and nosler 90gr balistic tips. The trouble I'm having is finding load info for these two projectiles, I have looked at the Adi data and both are not on there. Where could I find the load info for these two using Ar2209? Are you able to cross reference the powder to another brand and use that data with the projectiles I have got? Thanks

You won't find data for every single individual bullet that's out there. Just use data from a similar bullet type.

ADI publish data for 87gr and 90gr loads

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... Winchester

For 87 grain they've used a Hornady projectile

For the 90gr they've used a Speers bullet.

See the reference 'SP' with the data, to suit Soft Point, Spitzer and Spire Point bullets.

That's fine for the V-Max and BT's you've got.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by MattyP » 26 Jul 2016, 11:10 pm

The ADI reference guide is very modest with its loading data. It most certainly is not the bible. But probably has less lies. As the gents said earlier use min load work up in 1/2gn increase until you start to get some small signs of excessive pressure I.e. Flattening out of primer or resistance with the bolt lift. That will give you a rough idea of your max safe load. Whatever you do don't put to much faith in the velocity tabled as you will generally be Very disappointed. Once you get serious squirrel away a few dollars and buy a chrony as it most certainly helps to put your mind at ease and get the best out of your cartridge selection. I use a VMax 87gr in 6mm REM in a Sako AII I can assure you I can get a lot better performance out of mine than mr ADI gets out of his.
MattyP
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by loopal » 30 Nov 2016, 10:06 am

MattyP wrote:The ADI reference guide is very modest with its loading data.

It's a safe guide.

Just what every new reloaded needs :thumbsup:
loopal
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition